Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smaller Balls are you ready?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTC
    In my opinion though, a sport is that sport for a reason. Change something, and its not that sport anymore. Somethings are a certain standard so its not too easy, Why are football fields 100 yards? Why are basketball hoops 10 feet high? I like the idea of having to reload after 200 rounds and if you see the other team around 300 feet away that you have to work your way to them rather than sitting there and just shooting.

The mound height in baseball and softball have been changed repeatedly. The plate to rubber has been changed. The bat specifications have been changed.

The location of the goal posts in football have been changed. The forward pass. The two-point conversion. The very ball itself, ditto that in basketball.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    The mound height in baseball and softball have been changed repeatedly. The plate to rubber has been changed. The bat specifications have been changed.

The location of the goal posts in football have been changed. The forward pass. The two-point conversion. The very ball itself, ditto that in basketball.
    You are exactly right in your examples. Those are all examples of changes in sports. But think about everything you said: Batters can expect to see balls faster and in the strike zone more often with higher pitching mounds. The plate to rubber distance has increased. Bats went from metal to wood. The goal posts were moved back 10 yards. The abilty to catch a thrown ball down field while being defended upon, and the option to go for 2 rather than easily kick a 3 yarder.

All these changes were indeed added to a sport... but not to make the game any easier. They added more challenge to the game.

Now look at what paintball adds...

We started with 10 balls and 25 shots worth of air, now 200 balls and 1000 shots of air.
    We might have carried 50 extra balls, now close to a 1000.
    We all used to wear camo, Now we all stick out like sore thumbs.
    Shoot and recock, now its semi or faster.
    You can't shoot 10 balls a second? Just shoot 5 a second and ramping will take you up to 10.

I don't have to continue, we all know this. There are many more to list. Paintball has gotten easier over the years. No ofense to anyone, but thats why more kids play today when this used to be an adult game in the beginning.

I like what base equipment could represent far better anyways - pump play would be, to me, the new peak of the sport that allowed a much more even playing field, more athletecism, and far more interest.

But paintball is what it is....

At one point a batter did not walk until they had gotten 7 balls. Making it easier / or harder for the batter does the inverse to the pitcher. Games do change.

I don't have to continue, we all know this. There are many more to list. Paintball has gotten easier over the years. No ofense to anyone, but thats why more kids play today when this used to be an adult game in the beginning.
    Agreed but you left out the skill part at the end there. See how they did that? They took out the skill part with ramping so the demographic would change, and they reaped the windfall for the short term instead of thinking long term.

One shot one pull as fast as you can is now billyball, one shot every two seconds.
    How many ions are they selling now???

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer
    Agreed but you left out the skill part at the end there. See how they did that? They took out the skill part with ramping so the demographic would change, and they reaped the windfall for the short term instead of thinking long term.

One shot one pull as fast as you can is now billyball, one shot every two seconds.
    How many ions are they selling now???

I disagree that ramping was the cause of the demographic shift. The demographic shift happened well before ramping was widespread and frankly I would think it did not benefit the younger "faster finger" generation. Like ramping or not (I prefer it, even liking pump I don't think how fast you can wiggle the trigger should be a skill measured by the competition of paintball) we cannot lay the blame on it.

Well a fast trig finger used to be a measured skill and meant somthing back in the day.

But lets talk about this new 50cal ball. Here is some info from the web.

I too did the math a long while back along with Tom Kaye and we came up with some interesting results but ..... a lot of us can sit down with a pencil and theorise with numbers and functions hanging out our *** and 'yes', mathematics can and does prove useful but the proof is in the practical pudding. And this particular pudding has a factor affecting it that nobody has yet introduced.
    Whats the factor??

Richmond has overseen the development and production of these paintballs, which by the way, are being manufactured by Procaps. A heavy fill has already been developed which will satisfy the claims for an increased flight distance.

The fact there are claims of a more accurate ball can be easily understood when we look
    at the ball's ballistic properties. It has a significantly reduced surface area (which of course
    is the property of a squared function) and as such, will be less prone to wind turbulence.
    And one other thing; because Richmond has increased the density of the paint, thus
    giving us a heavier ball, this also increases the inertial value which has a two fold effect, it increases the ball's accuracy and distance shot when compared to a .5 calibre ball of a lesser weighted (less dense) fill.
    So smaller ball with heavy more dense fill.

Still need to know TWO things, the actual weight and intended muzzle velocity to calculate the numbers for safety.

Like I said before, you want the smallest heaviest ball you can get.
    Last edited by Beemer; 06-15-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sp

You can't put the blame on one thing. I believe its a building up of what I posted earlier: paintball has gotten too advanced for its own good. And again, you can't put the blame on any one thing or person. I remember in my first year or 2 of playing back in '96 or '97, I was at my field with my VM-68. Everyone would have simular type blow back guns like spyders, pro-lites, raptors, etc. There was always the one or two guys that had an Automag RT or a Shocker. No one wanted to encounter them on the field, but no one would also mind if they was on their team. I remember clearly back then that those 2 guys easily made a difference in the game and was an obvious factor. I could have never imagined playing in a game where every player had an RT or a Shocker. Now look today, there are guns that shot almost 3 times as fast as them. What more do we need?

Now look today, there are guns that shot almost 3 times as fast as them. What more do we need?
    50cal balls that weigh 3.2g at 300fps.

I think we should just play with FN303s.

Well a fast trig finger used to be a measured skill and meant somthing back in the day.
    True, which to me was a ridiculous skill to be advantageous.

What skill set does the game measure:

Accuracy, stealth, cunning, movement, and a really fast finger...

Well just remember.. we give up .68 balls. we give up our automags.

I'm not supporting .50 balls

Now look today, there are guns that shot almost 3 times as fast as them. What more do we need?
    You need to take them out with a pump...

Show all the kiddies skill isn't how much paint you can shoot.

68 will be around for a Loooooooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothice
    You need to take them out with a pump...

Show all the kiddies skill isn't how much paint you can shoot.
    No kidding. Last time I was out, there was a guy menacing me with his Sniper II. Gah, got tired of being gogged by him.

But lets talk about this new 50cal ball. Here is some info from the web.

Whats the factor??

So smaller ball with heavy more dense fill.

Still need to know TWO things, the actual weight and intended muzzle velocity to calculate the numbers for safety.

Like I said before, you want the smallest heaviest ball you can get.
    where did you get that second quote?

68 will be around for a Loooooooong time.
    You know most other paintball producing companies don't limit themselves to only making paintballs. The .68 ball has other lifes too. You know those pampering gift sets that wifes and GFs love? Those liquid soap balls you throw in your tub: .68 caliber.

I seen that on one of the shows on discovery on how they made paintballs I believe.

Anyone know any other uses of a paintball shell that is non-paintball related?

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
    where did you get that second quote?
    http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/...=122804&page=2 Post 60
    Last edited by Beemer; 06-15-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fix link

Hello Everyone,

Well I don't come to the forum for a few days while I am chasing dinos and look what pops up.

First of all, I have actually PLAYED with 50 cal back in the day using Budd's Sniper. In the 80's 50 cal held the same hope it does today, a way to sell cheaper paint and get more of it in the gun. Back then it was a double bonus since a 12 gram would fire a whole lot more 50's than 68's. As you can imagine, the 50 had piss poor accuracy and didn't break. It was quickly given up on along with 62 cal. promoted by Tippmann.

My read of the story tells me something different that I will SPECULATE on. Richmond sold his company from what I understand, and likely has a specific non-compete. The 50 cal ball probably gets around this and this could be the major motivation. I know personally because we have the same thing between Pepper Ball and FN, in our case the weight of the ball makes the difference.

I have to think that as you have already speculated, they took the ability to make fragile paint and mixed in a heavy fill to get a small 3.3 gram paintball. This should in fact be more accurate and fly farther at the same velocity. The reduction in frontal area is a big plus and the issues with a smaller ball and vortex shedding should not negate all of those gains.

The big trick will be to see if they break well. With a 50 you are distributing the energy no matter what over a smaller area. The smaller shape of the ball makes it inherently harder to break all things being equal. I don't think you can go much thinner in the paint shell and still be able to seal it together so they are probably making the shell tensile strength weaker. By my estimations they will hurt more with 3.3 grams at 300 fps.

The fill will absolutely be the most challenging part hands down. I calculated that a 50 has .07 cu inch of fill against the 68 at .16. So a bit better than 2-1. In order to make a heavier 50, you have to come up with a NON-TOXIC fill that's TWICE as heavy. This is no easy task. Most liquids hover around a specific gravity of 1-1.5 ish. There are liquids that get up to 2.0 but they are all toxic that I know of. We used liquids to 3.0 in the early 90's when we were investigating paintball accuracy and I still have the stuff today because you can't throw it away.

So here is the specific problem the way I see it. In order to up the weight of the fill you have to put some type of particle in it. Ground rock, powdered metal (bismuth) etc. We went down this road, the problem was that we could never inject a slurry through a needle without the needle plugging up no matter what we did. Eventually we gave up and put the powder in first and the fluid in after. Today's gelatin machines absolutely depend on a needle injecting the fluid into the ball as it pinches off the seam. I am dying to see how they accomplish this but Richmond has some pretty smart people around him.

Other problems you don't think about are things like the size of the holes in the mask. A 50 can squeeze through a pretty small hole in a rubber mask guard. My question is who is going to build a motorized hopper for these guns???

The can fit way more holes in the drum of the gelatin machine so the output per hour per machine will probably be more than double having an impact on cost. The fill has to add to the price so we will see how it shakes out. Remember to calculate the price per POUND of 50 vs 68 paintballs to see if there was really an economic advantage.

In the final equation my personal opinion is that its a bad idea for paintball only because it puts us that much closer to airsoft. If cheaper smaller balls are a good idea, why not get the cheapest smallest balls you can find (airsoft)? We already made the guns look mil-sim and hands down the airsoft guns look cooler and go full auto. So I don't personally understand it but hey, Richmond made WAY more money in paintball than I ever did so he must see things I don't.

My final comment. Everyone seems to agree that the paintball industry has been in trouble for some time. If I was god-of-paintball and wanted to get the industry going. I would get all the existing manufacturers together and force them to agree to licensing anyone their patents for 5 years for a dollar. This would bring a flurry of new businesses back into the market and you would have a flood of new products and cool ideas. In my opinion, that would help paintball more than anything.

AGD

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    My final comment. Everyone seems to agree that the paintball industry has been in trouble for some time. If I was god-of-paintball and wanted to get the industry going. I would get all the existing manufacturers together and force them to agree to licensing anyone their patents for 5 years for a dollar. This would bring a flurry of new businesses back into the market and you would have a flood of new products and cool ideas. In my opinion, that would help paintball more than anything.
    Classic, epic, historic post. You didnt happen to stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night did ya?

Well the problem was only a few just wanted a slice of the pie and thought long term like you.

thank you.

as you probably read in my earlier post, all bets are off if they made them heavier. as tom was speculating, its gonna be hard to make them as heavy as paintballs, but if it can be done, then it will outperform 68. if its to light however, like 43, 50, and 62 before it, it wont deliver.

IMO the way to fix the industry is to make a sustainable business model supported with good marketing. the current trend seems to make these super low end guns that are super fast, and then market them to young kids via winning pro teams. IMO this is an unsustainable model because 14 year old kids have an attention span of 2 years in paintball. in my decade of playing i have seen just about 5 generations of young talented tournament players, rise to the top, then burn out and leave. so the sport required essentially massive growth, like a tobacco company if you will to keep the guns selling the companies making money. what we really need is a model that supports and fosters life long players.

thank you.

as you probably read in my earlier post, all bets are off if they made them heavier. as tom was speculating, its gonna be hard to make them as heavy as paintballs, but if it can be done, then it will outperform 68.
    Outperform in flight characteristics...yes! They will also outperform in pain inducing characteristics...not too excited about that.

what we really need is a model that supports and fosters life long players.
    Don't agree with everything you say, but I totaly agree with that statement. The model we have evolved to in the paintball industry sucks as far as fostering long life players (especially the ones that only last a day).

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    Hello Everyone,

Well I don't come to the forum for a few days while I am chasing dinos and look what pops up.

First of all, I have actually PLAYED with 50 cal back in the day using Budd's Sniper. In the 80's 50 cal held the same hope it does today, a way to sell cheaper paint and get more of it in the gun. Back then it was a double bonus since a 12 gram would fire a whole lot more 50's than 68's. As you can imagine, the 50 had piss poor accuracy and didn't break. It was quickly given up on along with 62 cal. promoted by Tippmann.

My read of the story tells me something different that I will SPECULATE on. Richmond sold his company from what I understand, and likely has a specific non-compete. The 50 cal ball probably gets around this and this could be the major motivation. I know personally because we have the same thing between Pepper Ball and FN, in our case the weight of the ball makes the difference.

I have to think that as you have already speculated, they took the ability to make fragile paint and mixed in a heavy fill to get a small 3.3 gram paintball. This should in fact be more accurate and fly farther at the same velocity. The reduction in frontal area is a big plus and the issues with a smaller ball and vortex shedding should not negate all of those gains.

The big trick will be to see if they break well. With a 50 you are distributing the energy no matter what over a smaller area. The smaller shape of the ball makes it inherently harder to break all things being equal. I don't think you can go much thinner in the paint shell and still be able to seal it together so they are probably making the shell tensile strength weaker. By my estimations they will hurt more with 3.3 grams at 300 fps.

The fill will absolutely be the most challenging part hands down. I calculated that a 50 has .07 cu inch of fill against the 68 at .16. So a bit better than 2-1. In order to make a heavier 50, you have to come up with a NON-TOXIC fill that's TWICE as heavy. This is no easy task. Most liquids hover around a specific gravity of 1-1.5 ish. There are liquids that get up to 2.0 but they are all toxic that I know of. We used liquids to 3.0 in the early 90's when we were investigating paintball accuracy and I still have the stuff today because you can't throw it away.

So here is the specific problem the way I see it. In order to up the weight of the fill you have to put some type of particle in it. Ground rock, powdered metal (bismuth) etc. We went down this road, the problem was that we could never inject a slurry through a needle without the needle plugging up no matter what we did. Eventually we gave up and put the powder in first and the fluid in after. Today's gelatin machines absolutely depend on a needle injecting the fluid into the ball as it pinches off the seam. I am dying to see how they accomplish this but Richmond has some pretty smart people around him.

Other problems you don't think about are things like the size of the holes in the mask. A 50 can squeeze through a pretty small hole in a rubber mask guard. My question is who is going to build a motorized hopper for these guns???

The can fit way more holes in the drum of the gelatin machine so the output per hour per machine will probably be more than double having an impact on cost. The fill has to add to the price so we will see how it shakes out. Remember to calculate the price per POUND of 50 vs 68 paintballs to see if there was really an economic advantage.

In the final equation my personal opinion is that its a bad idea for paintball only because it puts us that much closer to airsoft. If cheaper smaller balls are a good idea, why not get the cheapest smallest balls you can find (airsoft)? We already made the guns look mil-sim and hands down the airsoft guns look cooler and go full auto. So I don't personally understand it but hey, Richmond made WAY more money in paintball than I ever did so he must see things I don't.

AGD
    Tom, i wish you came around more often.

i wish you would adopt me haha. You're tests and data from the past have since inspired me to do my own research into the sport and im glad you still have input for us even though you are not currently owning a company .

god i wish AGD would make a huge comeback and get rid of SP

what we really need is a model that supports and fosters life long players.
    Its funny you say that because it immediately made me think about when I played my first games at 15. 90% of the other players were in their mid-20's, 30's, and 40's. I used to read APG around that same time and it was the same way. Everything I seen about paintball back then, there was an elder figure to look up to.

It makes me smile when I go to the field now, and the young kids come over and ask me about the Emag. I must have shown how the warp works and given the Level 10 finger test about a 1,000 times nows.. And it never gets old. When you realize that the 5 minute talk you had with a 13 or 14 year old and he gave you more attention than he normally gives his teacher, you might have just got another player hooked on paintball for life. Its a good feeling to help grow our sport

I'm surprised at the number of people who think how fast someone shoots is a really important skill in paintball, to the point where electronic asisstance is to be bemoaned ad infinitum.

Even if all the rest of the claims pan out, there is one thing that will be a problem regardless ... less paint = smaller splat. IMO marking ability is one of the most important differences between low end and high end balls, and I doubt 50 cal will be able to mark even as well as low end paint.

Great post Tom - sounds like there are quite a few technical issues that need to be solved to bring something like this to market without outrageous R&D fees attached.

In general, I'm seeing more players with pumps at every game I play - it seems to be a combination of cost (less paint), more of a challenge, and wanting to have more fun than just spraying paint.

Paintball is an industry in flux - suffering from a lot of its own prior successes, and also from the current state of the economy. The credit crunch is preventing new investments and companies from entering the market, the flurry of lawsuits by HK isn't helping, and the lack of any real innovation over the past few years has resulted in a fairly stale market.

Throwing in a new paint size, if it is adopted by a major manufacturer, is an attempt to create a downstream sales market - new markers, new equipment (like masks), but we'll see what the insurance companies say about it. Everything right now is designed around the safety specs for .68 - and I doubt many insurance companies are going to be excited about the sliding scale of safety issues that could result (as Tom pointed out regarding the masks).

Quote Originally Posted by paullus99
    Great post Tom - sounds like there are quite a few technical issues that need to be solved to bring something like this to market without outrageous R&D fees attached.

In general, I'm seeing more players with pumps at every game I play - it seems to be a combination of cost (less paint), more of a challenge, and wanting to have more fun than just spraying paint.

Paintball is an industry in flux - suffering from a lot of its own prior successes, and also from the current state of the economy. The credit crunch is preventing new investments and companies from entering the market, the flurry of lawsuits by HK isn't helping, and the lack of any real innovation over the past few years has resulted in a fairly stale market.

Throwing in a new paint size, if it is adopted by a major manufacturer, is an attempt to create a downstream sales market - new markers, new equipment (like masks), but we'll see what the insurance companies say about it. Everything right now is designed around the safety specs for .68 - and I doubt many insurance companies are going to be excited about the sliding scale of safety issues that could result (as Tom pointed out regarding the masks).
    yes, i see from an industry point of view the appeal of this kind of thing, esp from the gardner brothers. its a quick fix, make everyone buy new stuff. again, its not really a sustainable idea though, the selling frenzy if they do get railroaded down our throats will only last so long. the gardners invented the marketing model that i previously alluded to, the unsustainable model based on new 14 year old blood. so it makes perfect sense that they would come up with a such an idea and bring richmond in on it.

from a consumer standpoint, this top down influence has been felt long enough in the industry IMO. the grass roots movement bringing back mech and pump guns is in full swing and is as strong as ever. at LL fully 1/3 or more of the players i saw were playing with mechs or pumps. 5 years ago, i was often the only pump player at big games. and now the industry is listening, you have the azodin KP which is Taylor made for new pump players, and even bob long is talking about making a pump from his old millennium bodies.

instead of telling players what to use, give us what we want.

In order to up the weight of the fill you have to put some type of particle in it. Ground rock, powdered metal (bismuth) etc
    What would this due to broken paint in the breach? Sounds like this could chew up a delrin bolt - or at least that would be a consideration?

from a consumer standpoint, this top down influence has been felt long enough in the industry IMO. the grass roots movement bringing back mech and pump guns is in full swing and is as strong as ever. at LL fully 1/3 or more of the players i saw were playing with mechs or pumps. 5 years ago, i was often the only pump player at big games.
    my last two outings i played mostly with the airowgun. 50 paintballs max.

Quote Originally Posted by UThomas
    What would this due to broken paint in the breach? Sounds like this could chew up a delrin bolt - or at least that would be a consideration?
    anything you add has to be cheap too ...

Quote Originally Posted by paullus99
    . Everything right now is designed around the safety specs for .68 - and I doubt many insurance companies are going to be excited about the sliding scale of safety issues that could result (as Tom pointed out regarding the masks).
    Safety is not a buzzword that has driven any of the industry changes in the last few years IMO. Why start now