Thread: Don't get Ripped Off ! ! ! Read here first.......

Exclamation Don't get Ripped Off ! ! ! Read here first.......

Well it seems like a lot of scams are getting pulled lately so I thought I'd put this up for those new to Internet trading and too dang trusting.Anyone with other advice please add.....

Be wary of Sellers with 0 or very few posts.

Be wary of Sellers with no feedback.

Be wary of sellers who offer no pics or old pics.

If at all possible use a 3rd party trading service or some other common ground contact.

Be wary of Sellers who REFUSE to use 3rd party even if you pay the fees.

Get a current picture of the gun and the Seller in the same pic.

Never send cash or any other non-tracable form of payment.(western union)

ALLWAYS, ship insured and with delivery confermation.(COD is a good option)

If they offer "next day air at no additional cost" is often used to scam the impatient,and seems to imply you would be aware of a scam right away so it must be legit.Be aware,no one would offer to lose $50-$100 or more in shipping costs just to close a deal.

Search for the Sellers user name on this and other trading forums and see if he is making deals on the same merchandise.(Try variations and possible AIM or Email names)

Don't be afraid to sound like a newb and ask others on the boards for advice,that's what we are here for,we can verify estemated values,addresses,phone numbers and personal experiences.

And be smart,if it smells fishy or seems to good to be true,(Brand new A4 w/AIR $500shipped)it probably is.There is no shame in backing out if you don't feel right and are unsure.

That's it for now.Any one else that can help,pitch in,maybe if we stick together we can stop some of these before they happen.

Jay.
    Last edited by RRfireblade; 09-15-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    Logic Paintball Forums
    My A O Feedback Here
    Other Feedback Here
    If I've Been Any help
    Please Leave Some.

He said use a third party. So here is a shameless plug. Third partys are great. Takes all the fear/worry of getting scammed away. Oh, check the sig for link

Great advice. Here's my input:

If you want to pay with PayPal, expect to pay an additional 3% on top of the purchase price. If you paid with a money order, you'd have to pay for it.

PayPal rates sellers. Check their PayPal rating and the length of time they've used that PayPal account. PayPal offers no real buyer protection. If someone doesn't send your merchandise, PayPal can only recover additional funds transfered to PayPal under the offender's username. If its a disposable account then you'll never recover any funds.

If you want to make an immediate payment for a large item, its almost always cheaper to overnight ($10.95) a $1.00 money order to the seller. If you send someone payment using the USPS and they don't send the item, they've commited mail fraud.

When trading, the person with the least feedback is expected to ship first but make sure you get feedback for the transaction.

COD CAN be your best friend IF you pay with a personal check. If the guy send you a box full of bubble wrap, and you hand the mailman a money order, you're cooked. A check can be canceled if you open the box and find it's a scam.

I was promised about $500 worth of gear, handed the postman a MO and sent him on his way. I opened the box, found a broken, leaking, barreless spyder, a VL200 hopper and a 12oz CO2! Lucky for me, the postman makes frequent stops. I ran him down, swapped him a check, canceled my check, and then demanded the seller give me $20 to cover the cost of the check canceling. He refused. I told him to kiss his gear goodbye. I sold it for $30. Luckily, it all worked out, but FYI, COD can go wrong.
    -For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philipians 1:21

-Don't try to use your fancy smancy "logic" on me! It won't work!

-It is better to stay silent, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.