Thread: "Lawn sprinkler" effect from safety blowoff of 3k flatline reg

Zephyrhills, Floreeduh (emphasis on the "duh")

"Lawn sprinkler" effect from safety blowoff of 3k flatline reg

any answers? all o-rings new. piston and spring pack cleaned and regreased w/ high pressure grease.

could this mean a new reg piston is needed? there are some scratches on the piston body above and below the o-ring.

also, is the piston in a flatline factory pre-set like the classic reg pistons? the only difference see between them is the addition of the pin at the base of the piston which passes thru the reg into the body of the flatline valve.
    in mine, the set screw can be removed and the inner spring and round plate can be removed. ie: i can dissasemble the whole reg piston. this doesn't seem right to me.

i bought this used knowing it leaked (super good price) and figured some time and some $$ could get me a good used flatline.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Florida peeps...step up!!
    My Feedback
    "They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose."
    -Rudyard Kipling: The Sons of Martha
    "To understand the Automag, you have to think like an air molecule."
    -Sparky Melber

I have the same problem -- just noticed it because my next weekend is free for some fun if I want.

68/4.5k
    leaking from 2 of the 4 holes
    Was ~ 4000 PSI for a while when I was busy with school work. It's only 5 or so months old so I doubt an O-ring problem. What could be the problem? I will try to empty and then refill this week to see if that works.

is there any common fix for this?

You guys are talking about the safty blowoff nuts on the side of the valve/reg assy right? You just need to have someone replace the blowoff nut. Shouldnt be to expensive.
    Sig image must be under 20k

i'm not talking about the burst disc.

the flatline has a similar system to the classic valve. there is a piston inside the reg that acts as an over pressure relase and it vents out the hole in the reg nut. thats what's happening to mine even when it's not over pressured.

Lee-

If you can remove the nut on the back of the piston, you need a new one. That works exactly the same as the Mag regulator blow off, only the blow off pressure is a lot higher.

Get a new piston for your tank and it will be fine. You can't fix the existing piston because it needs to be set at the proper blow off so you don't over pressurize the piston and not too low so that it doesn't blow off too soon.

Peach-

Sounds like your piston o-ring is bad. If it leaks out of those holes in the reg. body, that's the first place to check. It could just be dirty. Take out the piston by unscrewing the reg. body, unscrewing the adjuster nut and pulling out the spring pack and then push out the piston from the reg. seat side with a small allen wrench or something similar being careful not to damage the seat.

Once it's out, wipe it down and put some Dow33 or KC oil on it and then clean out the inside housing with some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. Let it dry out and then put in the piston and then the spring pack and the adjuster. When you put in the piston, make sure the reg. seat is properly oriented and then put it face down on a flat surface and then drop in the piston and push it in from the back with an allen wrench. You'll feel it snap into the reg. seat and then pull the reg. housing off of the table and push the piston in the rest of the way.

black: thanks. i was thinking that but needed an expert opinion.

and if i may impose a little more: when the tank is pressurzed with the front of the reg off, the safety ball bearing is leaking. is that an issue?

thanks black, you da man!

Thanks Black, I'll try that but I have no clue what alot of those things are. I'll try to find my manual. Does the tank have to be enpty? And does the Flatline matenance post include this operation in it? You see, I've never working on my flatline, ever, so I have no clue. Thanks