Thread: Can I powdercoat my body ?

Can I powdercoat my body ?

I herd that powdercoating can damage the structure of certin metals . What type of metal is the automag/minimag body made of & or , can it be powdercoated ? HELP ......

THe body is made of SS if its twist lock, aluminum if its ULE.

powder coating SS is fine... Aluminum im not sure, but i would think it would be fine.

Super ......

Quote Originally Posted by KCs-RTule
    THe body is made of SS if its twist lock, aluminum if its ULE.

powder coating SS is fine... Aluminum im not sure, but i would think it would be fine.
    Thanks 4-the help ......

Don't quote me on it but ULE bodies Aluminum can be powdercoated because of its quality. Again don't quote me on it.

Yes, the bodies can be powdercoated. Make sure you mask off the areas where the body makes contact with the rail. The thickness of the paint can affect the operation of the gun so you don't want to change any of the tolerances.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

oh no! don't powdercoat your body you will look like this!

//just kidding//
    actually powdercoating looks really nice:
    this is nate2k191's emag, a real beauty of it's own kind. it's white powdercoated.
    Last edited by don miguel; 12-03-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Sweet ......

THANKS 4-ALL THE HELP PEOPLE .

just fyi the reason that a metal would be affected is becasue of the heating process (most metals wont react badly to the semi low heat of powder coats, steel needs about 1000-2000 depending on the aloy to lose much of its temper, AL needs less but it still is higher than most powdercoating)

the metals of the bodies are a stainless steel (IIRC) aloy (not sure of the aloy) and a 5000 or 6000 series aluminium (i think its 6000 but not positive, 5000 is more common is paintball guns but im pretty sure AGD went the 6k route)

by an MSDS i have on a certian powder coat ("Polyester/TGIC") the melting point is 70-80*C/ 158-176*F, there shouldnt be any problem with those low temperatures (even the higher temp stuff i think only requires in the 3-500*F range.

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by SR_matt
    just fyi the reason that a metal would be affected is becasue of the heating process (most metals wont react badly to the semi low heat of powder coats, steel needs about 1000-2000 depending on the aloy to lose much of its temper, AL needs less but it still is higher than most powdercoating)

the metals of the bodies are a stainless steel (IIRC) aloy (not sure of the aloy) and a 5000 or 6000 series aluminium (i think its 6000 but not positive, 5000 is more common is paintball guns but im pretty sure AGD went the 6k route)

by an MSDS i have on a certian powder coat ("Polyester/TGIC") the melting point is 70-80*C/ 158-176*F, there shouldnt be any problem with those low temperatures (even the higher temp stuff i think only requires in the 3-500*F range.

-matt