Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Kaye Retires from Paintball, AGD Under New Management

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry to see you go. You've done a great thing, with mags, and AGD, and AO, (and air tanks, and warp feeds, and barrel condoms and yadda yadda YA), and most importantly, the sport of paintball as a whole. Best of luck with your future endeavors, I hope you'll find happiness in whatever you choose to do.

**edit** TOM KAYE, good friend of ours... honor us with one last chat party before you go for good?

Also, will AO and irc.automags.org stick around?
    Last edited by BobTheCow63; 12-08-2004 at 06:31 PM.
    Calling all Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and other east coast AOers...

AO Mid-Atlantic Meet (planning stages)

Let us know what dates and locations work for you!!

So is this officially the end of an era in paintball? It sure feels like it...
    Red/Black Freeflow Lotus Racegun
    Red/Black Acid BPS Twister Cocker
    Bright Black Y-Grip/Warp ULE Mag
    Blue 99 Dark Angel w/Matching Accessories
    Matte Black Stock Class Sniper 2
    Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=94972

tom,
    i would like to thank you for an outstanding product and service that has lasted through all of these years. from my first mag in 1991 (#1496) to my x-rogue mag of today, thanks.

sorry to see you go,
    cory
    Last edited by Eatem Alive; 12-22-2004 at 06:43 PM.

Tom, we will miss you.
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

Thanks for letting us know and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your life.

N.A.T.O.

Feel The Burn

[AO Feedback]

PBN Feedback

you said that you would answer questions in this thread. so here is one for you

can we still expect to see you out at some feilds occasionally, and i mean this as will you just wake up one day and be like, im going paintball today? and will you still be a father figure here on AO?
    t33kyboy "So if a cat is dropped from 11 inches, it will most likely die."

Oh Snap!
    RIP John Sherman 1952- 2004

-Adam
    K To the E

Quote Originally Posted by trevorjk
    you said that you would answer questions in this thread. so here is one for you

can we still expect to see you out at some feilds occasionally? and will you still be a father figure here on AO?
    I have a feeling he'll always be a father figure for AO, whether he wants to or not.

MR. KAYE MR. KAYE MY SYDARM NO WORKY! *waves sydarm around*

What will happen to AO?

I need to find a way to make AO pay for itself. If it can do that it can stay around forever. I will be selling banner space as a first try but if that doesnt work it might have to go to some kind of membership fee. Stuff like AO has to get paid for somehow and Dave didn't take over all the bills I have to pay.

Will I show up at events?

Maybe, maybe not. You have to understand how hard it is to come back as an unknown. You all know me but in a couple months I will be invisible to 99% of the paintball world. Thats just the way it is.

AGD

question

Tom:

As this may come to a huge surprise to me and 99.9% of the industry....

May I ask how long you have been planing this move? Or was this something that you just one day woke up and said "Enough"?

If it was me, I would see this as a decision that I would have to labor on for years.....

Anyhow....
    God Speed, and good luck with your future ventures.

Carter
    aka
    Painthappy
    Paintball Collection: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/collection3.0/

Homepage: http://www.mcarterbrown.com

VintageRex: http://www.vintagerex.com - The future of paintball's history!!!

No Tom dont do this to us we promis to be better COME BACK TOM!!!!
    Euro E-mag | TL63 | XMOD| EM01610
    Euro Rt | OG | RT02382.

Tom,

first off, thank you so much for eveything you have done for the sport.
    you and your company are the reasons I am in the paintball business .

I wish things were different, I kind of felt this was coming after talking with you at IAO, I was hoping things would get better.

I hope things change and someday we see you again, the sport needs more people like you not less.....

respectfuly
    Alan
    Destructive Customs

wow, no way. have a geat retirement, nuff said

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
    August 20th, 1966--December 8th, 2004

evildead420 uber feedback thread

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom you will be greatly missed. Once again we loos another class act in the sport of paintball. Damn.. now I have to get me another mag.. hmmmm.
    Proud supporter of the SP Boycott

BTW to all when my e-mag gets sent out for anno it will be in Dedication to TK so if anybody has anything like slogens to anno or lazer ingrave into it IM me AGDlover04 or PM me

wowwww. i thought that agd was getting more popular. i guess i didnt understand. well i hope that you succed in whatever you do from now on. good luck. ps:thanks for the great gun. its WAY BETTER than any of the others. GOOD LUCK.
    rt ule custom, boomstick, ult,apoc2k and x board revi, i want:j&j ceramic.

The Titans are gone. Long live the Titans!

With the recent acquisition of Worr Games Product by K2, Bud Orr is slowly but surely easing into retirement from the game. With Tom’s announcement, the Paintball Community has lost its last Titan.

Many of the younger players now will probably not remember who these two men were and what it was that they did for the sport. Many of us are too busy tweedling with our guns trying to make them bounce and make them perform in ways that a lot of people use to say only a few years back to be impossible.

What Bob Gurnsey and Hayes Noel started, Tom and Bud took to the next level. In the hay days of these men, paintball wasn’t so much an industry as much as it was a community. To those that followed them then, all the things made and actions taken were for the love of the game. With the recent environment that has befallen paintball, men concerned with the community are now replaced by those whose only concern is the bottomline. In a capitalist society, there’s nothing wrong with that. But capitalism wasn’t the motivation or the catalyst for the explosive growth of the sport. It was the players, the people who led the community and their collective love of the game.

Let’s face it, if Tom was all about greed, he would have been in the position to greatly capitalize on many of the things that he created. From the first recorded use of an electronic trigger on a paintball gun to the introduction of the use of compressed air, he was in the thick of things. He knew that if he was to fully exploit the commercial potential of his work, he would stifle the growth of his community. He chose instead to do what was best for all.

Today, I express my sadness because one of the game’s last remaining titans is departing. It is with a great deal of fondness that I say Thanks and Farewell to Tom. Whatever heights we reach as an industry is only possible because you allowed us to stand on top of your shoulders for a very long time.

Best regards,
    /s/ Mel C. Maravilla
    PBX Battlezone
    PBX Paintball Station Inc.
    PBX Ballistix Lab
    PBX@NYC Paintball

Quote Originally Posted by PBX Ronin 23
    The Titans are gone. Long live the Titans!

With the recent acquisition of Worr Games Product by K2, Bud Orr is slowly but surely easing into retirement from the game. With Tom’s announcement, the Paintball Community has lost its last Titan.

Many of the younger players now will probably not remember who these two men were and what it was that they did for the sport. Many of us are too busy tweedling with our guns trying to make them bounce and make them perform in ways that a lot of people use to say only a few years back to be impossible.
    Glenn Palmer, Colin T. (Lapco) and a few others also has been around as long as these two gentlemen. They are Titans and has helped push the industry in the old times.

BTW, K2 decided to hold onto the cool 10 mil from Orr because of intellectual rights to the autococking "patent". You know who owns that "patent". K2 just gave Orr enough money to pay off his debts. That's all the juicy news I'll give for today.
    I transform people into Picassco paintings!

As far as im concerned the last "industry leader" that i can honestly respect is gone. And thats a damned shame.

Good luck with whatever fate takes you to Tom.
    --Enos Shenk
    --Moderator http://www.tippmann.com
    --Admin http://www.paintballchat.net

Oh great

I know I never post on here, but this is too significant to miss.

I've never had a mag, never even held one, but I have done a bit of reading on some of the stuff you've put into the industry, Tom. (I bet you don't remember, you answered a question about patents for me a few months back).

From everything I've seen, you've been one of the very few likable human beings in the industry. Tippmann is great, I love them, but it's a company. Tom Kaye = AGD in a lot of people's minds.

As everyone's said, this is the end of an era. I sincerely hope this doesn't mark a change in the way AGD is run, or the quality of its innovations and markers. I still want one.

Tom, you will be missed by so many people.. I don't think even you really know how many people respect you.

This is just saddening.

Good luck, Tom Kaye. Guess this is goodbye.

WOW...

First time on AO all day and I get blindsided by this... Talk about a SHOCK..

Anyways, TK... Good luck in your future endeavors (digging, I presume) to you. The industry has certainly lost a great force. They say that, "all good things must come to an end," and I suppose that is correct. Here's to you and all that you have done for this industry. My first marker was a mag and I will always remember the joy it gave me.

Good luck!

wow, didn't really see that comming.

glad i had a chance to meet you when i did.

good luck to you and the new president

Quote: MarkM
    "virus attacks have been dealt with, same with back door nasties. ."

My feed back

Good luck Tom, I hope things go well for you. Mabey one of these days the AO IL guys can take you out for a nice retirement dinner.

Darren
    My drinking team has a paintball problem.
    My Feedback

wow, i cant say i didnt think this would happen sometime...but it still is shocking.

tom,

have fun with whatever you decide to do now. i unfortunatley haven't gotten the chance to meet you yet, so i do hope that you will be at the next shatnerball, cause im planning on attending it. im sure that we will be in good hands with dave zupan, and i now look forward to trying to meet him as well. you will always be remembered as someone who made great revolutions in the sport, but sometimes life just needs some changes. i do hope that you can find some time to come back to the AO and paintball for appearances every once in awhile as im sure we'll all want to hear how youre doing.

god speed and good luck,

michael powell
    aka mag/cocker lover
    President Of the UW-Madison Badger Ballers

AO Feedback

1 of 35 SFL Emags VV02746
    Silver Karta/Logic RT Winner:GOTM Most Bling for December VV04971
    Sydarm SY00715
    Nelspot (under restoration)

Semper Fidelis
    No matter, they'll lose...

98% of american teenagers have tried pot. if you are part of the 2% that hasnt, put this in your signature.

Im no veteran paintball player and I havent met TK. Still, I would like to thank Tom for giving me a unique gun, something i can be proud of when i rip with it on the field.

I plan on taking my mag to as high as I can possibly get even to the pros if I can manage it. LONG LIVE THE KING

Farewell to the King of our Clan
    Where shall our brothers go
    For we have each lost Da Man