Thread: Tom Kaye Retires from Paintball, AGD Under New Management

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.
    I suppose we should add Tom Kaye stepping down as President of Air Gun Designs to the list. Thanks for your contributions the the sport of paintball, you will be missed.

Tom , you have been like my idol and creator of my emag, We will never forget you

ah shucks

you should start a paypall donation thingy

Thanks for all youve done for the sport and i wish you the best luck with your new endevers

personman Guest
    My words when I saw this thread:
    "What? WHAT? WHAT?!>!?!?!?"

Tom, it's going to be a completely different sport without you
    I just hope this dave guy has half the innovation you have

Its sad to hear that you're going, but I'm sure AGD is in good hands. What are you planning on focusing now that you are out of the paintball industry? Whatever it is I wish you the best of luck, its been a blast. You've been a great role model and friend to us all, i mean what other president would take the time to answer questions for a kids school project. Only you.

Don't forget about us, keep us posted on your digs

~Azaam

Quote Originally Posted by FallNAngel
    I suppose we should add Tom Kaye stepping down as President of Air Gun Designs to the list. Thanks for your contributions the the sport of paintball, you will be missed.
    don't forget about Earron Carter retiring as well ,
    Thank You TK , for providing an awesome product and an even better company backing it up , but most importantly thank you for loving the sport .

TK at D-Day -->
    "Anyone can slap together a high-end electro , where as building a high-end mechanical is truely an art form" - nuclear zombie

Talk about a doubletake... When I first saw this thread stickied, I first thought "What's up with this? It's not April 1st yet..." But its for real. Tom, it was a good time while it lasted. You gave birth to ideas that were the steering currents for the whole industry and to this day and for many more to come you have left your mark. Paintball has definitely changed in the past couple of years, AO is no exception. But regardless of what happens to paintball or AO in the future, you can definitely say you have had a positive effect on thousands of people, and quite a few on a personal level. That's not something many can say. Good luck in your future endeavors Tom, and I hope that you still at least pop in on AO and at some events from time to time.

Tom, thank you for all the AWESOME times. And the future ones. I will continue to use AGD products for the length of my paintball career, however long that is. The stuff works so well, that it's hard NOT to have a great time every time out on the field.
    Lets just hope Zupe doesn't blow the place up with one of his rockets. How about having him come to AO and posting as new CEO of AGD.
    Brian

Wow. I thought you'd be here forever. You're the one who got me into paintball! Thanks for all the advice and the fun! I'm sure it was a tough decision but I'm sure your next venture will be greater than this one. Take a vacation first though LOL

I guess my only chance to hang out with you will be at Shatnerball.

Originally posted by Miscue
    Romeo... bah! He's a pathetic fool who was lamely obsessed with the impressionable Juliet.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.
    Wow, if that doesn't sum it all up.

The grass roots sport of paintball has definitely gone about as far the other direction as it possibly can.

I understand that change is imminent, but it seems that too many people (such as the Gardners) have gone out of their way to take the love and joy out of it.

People wondered why I protested loudly about such things as the Smart Parts debacle, but maybe now you can see what the issue was and is.

It's just not nearly as much fun as it used to be, what with corporate dirty tricks, lawyers, takeovers and a participant base that shreds itself by segregating it's members and then treating each other like second class citizens if they dare disagree.

Maybe it's time to sell my stuff and go back to golf ...
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Sir Winston Churchill

The Frymarker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwayhzrd

Maybe it's time to sell my stuff and go back to golf ...

My thoughts exactly, better go dust off my clubs

Quote Originally Posted by The Frymarker
    My thoughts exactly, better go dust off my clubs
    Yep, just bought a King Cobra 454 Comp Driver. Paintball was safer for me. I didn't get in as much trouble shooting paintballs at people as I did when I would try to hit the old guys in polyester with golf balls.

WANG Force!

Abandon All Hope

i been thinking about stopping playing paintball 2

Demise of AGD?

I have played paintball back in the early 90's when automags were the top competitor, and bob long produced the autococking kit for the tracer pump gun (hangs head low, yes owned one) along with the autococker. Woodsball was the method of play , $130 for a case of paint was reasonable, and camo was a way of life for the sport. But the days have changed drastically.

I bought my first automag off a fellow ref and held onto it for a number of years including a duty station in Japan. My roots with agd dates back a long time.

I have seen a demise of airgun designs when I got back into the sport about 5 years ago. No longer can you find guns, parts, upgrades at the local stores, just boneyard parts left over from people trading in for other guns. The automag (all versions) is virtually unknown to all on any particular field. The e/x mag customers are left in the dark now with outdated software (with comparison to competitors) with no hope of future development nor release of dated programming for others to improve upon / alternate options.

And with smart parts on their patents rampage, I can see why Tom has made his decision to retire. Retire now with fond memory of the good of the sport.

My major concern with Toms decision to retire, is a total collapes of agd in the near future. I spoke with a AGD rep here about their non-existance at San Diego NPPL CC this year and his response shocked me because I didnt want confirmation on what I pretty much already knew. Basically, what was expessed in the conversation is their showing would not profit the company since it is not considered a popular tourney gun and would not get any exposure at the event. This lack of parcipitation has limited AGD to their website for sales and the occasional senerio games.

What image does these issues promote for their products?? I hope the day does not come where I have to trade in my ule mag for a competitor because it is unreasonably expensive and un-timely to get the parts I need. The mag I use is an extension of who I am when I play. Its considered the black sheep that stands out in the crowd. I would hate to give it up.

I was at the event, and the brand "x" guns shown give new prospective players their options of whats there for them to use. I was amazed of the turnout at the event, and the amount of younger new players that were emerging. The mag is has been a solid product that it should recieve much more exposure wheter or not if its a tourney gun. If its not promoted, the younger generation will go elsewhere for their toys. AGD has to come out of its perpetual turtleshell inorder to survive.

Mr. Kaye, I commend you on the many years that you have contribuited to keep the spirit of the mag alive, I wish you the best with all your endeavors, and personally hope to have the opportunity to see you on the field some day. (over in Japan that is)

FRANK RYAN
    SAN DIEGO CALI

(ETD USA JAN 24, 2005 , )
    Gotta promote the sport in Japan. Hope AGD will follow

Dear Mr. Kaye,

if you ever check this thread again, would it be to much to ask to get your autograph? I know you pioneered this sport, and are a huge part of what it has become *EDIT* MINUS ALL THE CHEATING!! You pioneered everything good that is this sport.. I have nothing but the highest respect for the markers you make, and the quality of everything you've produced. I just think it would be wonderful to have that bit of paintball history, and I would be absolutely honored.

Thanks

-Tom