Thread: “Jon Wayne” paintball rules

“John Wayne” paintball rules

The group of woods players I played with this Sunday played “John Wayne” rules, in other words it takes two shots to the extremities i.e. legs or arms or a single shot to the head or torso to eliminate a player. Their reasoning was that these rules lead to more realistic/fun play. They also ignored all gun hits, which to me seemed rather odd at the time; I suggested that for more realism any player whose gun was hit could no longer use their marker. Nobody seemed to like my idea but since I was the new guy in the group I consented without further comment. I’ve played paintball in all sorts of scenarios with all kinds of different rules based on who’s playing and where we’re playing and I’ve played “John Wayne” rules many times in the past but not for several years. Midway through the day I noticed a rather interesting trend, each player coming of the field seemed to be walking of the field with what seemed to be an excessive number of hits. I’m used to seeing people shot up one side and down the other playing airball but not in the woods. What do you folks think, do “John Wayne” rules lead naturally to overshooting?
    Last edited by glickstue; 08-21-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Sounds interesting..

I think people will overshoot no matter what.

I tihnk that some scenario event let medics heal arm/leg hits...

Mike

most scenarios heal all hits except head shots
    -matt

i think its ok not to count gun hits when playing rec ball, as long as people arnt blind fireing (not that it matters cause you never hit anyone). i mean when playing req (espicaly with few people) its fun to change up things so you have longer more exiting games.
    t

I don't think it leads to overshooting per-se, however I do believe it leads to arguments. The last time I played was with a group that played 2 hits extremidies, 1 hit center mass, and it led to an argument because one player couldn't believe that through a hail of paint he'd only hit another once and swears up and down that the player had two hits on his leg when I'd witnessed the player only hit once and the appearance was caused by a ball breaking on two pieces of gear which were close together while the player was crouched but separated when standing.

If they were playing one hit -> out rules, there would be no question, the player was wearing paint, and was eliminated.

Invincible gun rules are fine IMHO for fun/friendly games and add another level of skill in some cases (I've seen some impressive usage of a gun/hopper to block incoming paint).

I think the only way rules like that work is if it's a friendly game between people who know each other. I've played renegade games where a leg hit and you're wounded and can't run ... things like that. On a field with strangers I think it's been shown that it doesn't work all that well.

Besides, in real life you can get shot in the head and live, and get shot in the leg and die.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself
    The point is that paintball is not real life. It is a game. Inheirent with any game is the desire to win and therefore to cheat.

In order to avoid the ability to continually cheat it is much easier to call yourself on a hit anywhere to anything. It eliminates most grey area, cuts down on arguments and accusations, just generally clarifies the issue.

The next game will be in a minute.

I have run into numerous problems with that style of play and I refuse to be a part of it. The worst case of it I have seen involved people laying in a ditch near a high traffic area with nothing but their marker exposed. You could shoot them all day and either you didn't hit them(in a vital area) or it was spray.....

I know I'm contradicting myself here ... but paintball is real life

More to the point though, it's a sport and like many sports it's tempered mock combat. You get to indulge in the thrill of victory without the disrespect of death to your opponent. I can certainly understand why people enjoy paintball games that closely simulate actual deadly combat (myself included), however I think if you get bogged down in minutia you'll loose that element that makes it simply fun to play. The reason I've played those rules during small private games is that it adds to the game instead of subtracting ... people can stay in a little longer and the whole game isn't over that quick. There comes a time though where it just doesn't work. It takes too much time for the refs to figure out who's out or not, it's too subject to personal opinion, and it encourages cheating among games involving strangers.

I personally like it when people blind-fire...it's one of the few times you can safely move up while being assured that you (most likely) won't be hit.
    My feedback

Made in USA - it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by paint magnet
    I personally like it when people blind-fire...it's one of the few times you can safely move up while being assured that you (most likely) won't be hit.
    i liked it when dan blind fired...of course he was playing with a nelspot pump, but hey, give credit where credits due

That's "Old School Rules"

That's the only way we used to play when we all had pumps or there was like one semi on the field.

-Gun hits don't count
    -Splatter doesn't count
    -Two hits to the extremeties
    -One hit to the torso or head

Works great with friends or small groups of trusted players. Doesn't work well with large groups or cheating bastages. Can't say those rules would make much of a difference with todays paint hosing semi's either since you usually get hit multiple times. Great fun with woodsball, don't think I see the point in it in arenaball.

Side note, I dug out some old rules from a scenario game I played back in 1991 (yes, I'm that old);

"Gun velocities must be adjusted to 300fps. If your gun is found to be between 300 and 325fps you will be required to leave the field to adjust your velocity back down to 300fps. No gun will be allowed to chronograph over 325fps, any player found shooting over 325fps will be ejected from the game."

Oh the good old days when a welt was a welt!

thats about how it still is at MXS scenarios (315 is the top end limit i think, but its if ur 300-315 go off fix it over 315 bye bye, and obviously the refs will mak a call or not weather it was purposfuly changed or not cause if a gun creaps up and a player gets kicked for that its sooooooo not cool)
    -matt

Really, that's interesting. No game I've played recently has allowed a gun speed above 280. All the fields close to me have turned it down. No doubt b/c of overshooting, people continually violating the 20ft rule, lots of younger kids playing, etc.

o ya i was gettign confused, its 280 is top, up to 3something fix it and over that gone

i mixed up that and the tourney rules

meh stupid dentist drilling my teeth than making me think mer
    -matt

the way i think it should always be played is one hit and your out. no matter where you are hit your out. it gets rid of all confusion that way and makes for a more challenging game.
    upgrade fund: $145

Quote Originally Posted by wanna-b-ballin'
    the way i think it should always be played is one hit and your out. no matter where you are hit your out. it gets rid of all confusion that way and makes for a more challenging game.
    Agreed.

Variation to "John Wayne" Style...

If its a small group of friends, play Razor Blade.

Its a variation on an old dodge ball game we played in school.

Head and body hits are a kill, but extremities ( and or gun ) hits render that extremity unusable. Shot in left leg you hop or crawl, shot in hand must shoot with other ( this sucks when you have a pump! )

Styg
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

We play the same type of thing, except it''s head and torso only, one shot to those.

I always heard that called "Army" dodge ball.
    That is a fun game because of everyone hopping and limping around.

With paintball not so much.
    If you want to tweak the eliminations rules a bit, no problems there. I personally love playing the medic role at scenario games. It's a lot of fun running under all the fire to heal teammates. The difference, I think, is that at scenario games, there's always another objective than simply trying to eliminate everyone else. I don't think I would enjoy it in a pure elimination game.

Playing elimination only with multiple hits is a bad idea but if you want to play with flags or an objective, it is sometimes a fun twist to the game.

And no matter what, you're going to run into the issue of exactly where the arms/legs stop and the torso begins. There are better ways to mix it up than by giving people multiple hits, though.
    Before: "You're playing with WHAT?"
    After: "Crap! It's that guy with the pump!"