Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Wood Grips

Arrow Custom Wood Grips

Will be doing some grips for a short time. Need to get up some funds for a project that I have in the works.

I HAVE MANY WOODS THAT ARE NOT LISTED IN THIS THREAD. IT CHANGES ALL THE TIME, SO IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC NEEDS, THEN JUST ASK, I MAY HAVE JUST WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

BECAUSE OF THE RISE IN SHIPPING COSTS AND GAS PRICES, ALL 45 FRAME AND EMAG FRAME PANELS ARE NOW $30 FOR THE LABOR

OK folks, I am ready to take orders for custom E/X Mag grip panels. I am going to do this two ways. First, I am going to make sets from wood that I have and sell at one price, sorta like store stock. And second, I will charge a flat rate to make a set for you and you supply the wood. The store stock wood will change from time to time, just depends on what I get, and I am always looking for good stuff. I will update this post as my stock changes.

There are a coupla things that you need to know.

FIRST , these are wood grips, and they are not indestructable. If you get to ambitious with tightning the screw, then you will eventually crush the wood and that screw will not hold anymore. I will provide mounting screws with all the grips that I sell. They are a bit longer than the stock screw and allow me to have more wood under the screw head. But, I will only do Hardwoods and the South American stuff is reall hard and dense. So you would really have to work hard a crushing out the screw holes.

SECOND . I have no intention of applying stain or finish to these grips. The reason that I dont want to do this is that there are so many different stains and finishes out there. The right stain will drastically change the look of the wood. The store stock grips will have either a clear Teak Oil or I will use Danish Oil in Dark Walnut. These two soak into the wood and seal it up. I will apply either of these two to your grips if you specifically ask me to. Varnish, stain, or Poly is something that you need to decide for yourself. But, the grips will be ready to accept any stain or finish that you decide.

THIRD . There are two styles of grip panels for the Emag. First is a flat panel, sorta like the stock Emag panel. It will be 1/4 inch or less thick. If you look at it from the side, it will look sorta like this: [
    The other style is one that has a curved shape, kind of like a 45 grip panel and, when seen from the side, will look sorta like this: ( The style that you choose is important because the thickness of the wood that is needed is different for both. The Flat style can be done with any wood that is from 1/4 to 5/16 thick. The curved style needs to be 5/16 to 3/8 thick. 1/2 inch will work, but there is a lot of wood that would have to be removed to get it down to a managable size. But, If you have large hands, and like a large grip, then the 1/2 inch size will fit the bill. I can also make a regular 45 frame grip panel and I am still thinking about making a panel for the 90 deg frame, altho I havent decided on that yet. The 90 deg panel is a bit complex and would be difficult to sand properly. Will let you know on this later. The 45 grip panel is readily available just about every where you can buy gun parts, and there are many custom grip makers out there. But, if you want one, I can do it. PM me for pricing

FOR E/X MAG PANELS
    Any wood that you provide me MUST be a min. of 5 1/4 inches long X 2 1/4 wide.
    These are the minimum dimensions that I can work, and there is very little leeway with this size. Bigger is better, and will give me the ability to utilize the best possible grain structure that the wood has.

Choosing wood . I will try to do any hardwood that you send me. But, be aware that there are some woods that do not co-operate with you. Burl and Birdseye wood can be difficult to get smooth and can chip very easy. Do a little research and try to learn a bit about the wood that you are looking at. Most times, you can Google a wood and find out if it is a good cantidate for a grip frame. Also, some of the Spalted wood sold on Ebay is an end cut. Think of the end of a 2x4. All the wood fibers is on the short side, the thickness of the piece. This will make a poor choice for a grip panel. There will be very little strength to the wood and will break very easy. If you buy a ready cut grip set on Ebay, look to see which way the grain of the wood is going. Just make sure that the grain is NOT going on the shortest measurement of the wood. I.E., 5 1/4 x 2 1/2 x 3/8. The grain shoud be either going in the direction of the 5 1/4 or the 2 1/2, not the 3/8. I will try to post pics that better explain this later. Also, there are exotic, burled woods that have been "stabilized" or "placticized" These woods have been pressure injected with a plastic to keep the wood from cracking or chipping. This stuff is very tough to work and really eats up a sand belt. If you are going to send me one of these, I have to limit the thickness to 3/8 thick. 5/16 works better in this stuff cuz I wont spend all night just trying to get it down to a workable thickness. Stabul is one brand name that does this kind of wood. But, the wood that you can get is just incredible to look at and is truly one of a kind.

PRICING:

YOU PROVIDE THE WOOD:
    Flat panel: 30$, includes shipping(US shipped) and grip panel screws (wood size min. 5 1/4 X 2 1/4 X 3/16 to 1/4)
    Curved panel: 30$, includes shipping and grip panel screws (wood size min. 5 1/4 X 2 1/4 X 5/16 to 3/8)
    I cannot ship these to Canada for this price. If you are in canada, then the price will be slightly higher. You will only be charged the actual difference in shipping.

45 GRIP PANELS: $30 plus price of wood

STOCK WOOD:
    Heartwood. This wood is very red and if from Central America. 1/4 in and 1/2 availible. Lots of this wood availible

American Walnut. You guys know what this is. 5/16 Also, lots of this availible

American Cherry. 5/16 9 sets availible

Granadillo (Yucatan Penninsula, Mexico) Brown with dark grain. 1/4

White Oak Americal wood and very light colored. Nice.

Exotic Wood:
    Prices vary, contact me for prices.

Zebrawood. From Africa and this stuff is very nice. 5/16 and have several sets.

Figured Black Walnut. This stuff will finish out just beautiful. 1/4 in. 6 sets

Brazilian Rosewood. This stuff I bought for me a set on my Xmag. Will have two sets availible. 5/16 3 sets availible

Mexican Bocote. A hardwood that is Yellow with Black random grain in it. Just insane the way that it looks. 5/16 several sets availible.

African Mohogany. This wood is very dense and is a creamy color with little black specks. 1/4 in. 4 sets availible

African Black Ebony. Jet black, dense and hard. 3/8 1 set availible

Cocobolo (Mexico). Different shades of Orange with Black streaks 3/8

Ribbon Mohogany, Africa. This a golden shaded wood, with what looks like waves in the grain, irredecent sheen to it. Very pretty. Pics up soon.

Kingwood. Dark Brown and Black grain. Lots of contrast and great grain.

Canarywood. This wood has a sorta rainbow of colors across it. Distinct lines and contrast.

PrimaVera Also know as White Mohogany. Very pretty with an irredecent sheen
    MANY MORE NOT LISTED. JUST DOESNT PAY TO TRY AND KEEP THIS UP TO DATE[B]

Please post in this thread what you want, then Email me an order. That way, we can both keep things less confused.

When emailing and order, please do the following.

Subject line should read: WoodGrips.
    Tell me what you want, in what wood, or when you are going to ship the wood to me. It would also help if you specified if you have large or smallish hands. This helps me kinda know how much wood to leave on the curved grip panels. Also, please include your Online name, i.e. "kruger", and the paypal address that you paid, or will pay from. Also a return adress to mail it to you, even if you ship your wood to me. That way, I do have a record of your adress to return your panels to you. If I havent received an Email from you, then you dont have an order in.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR ONLINE NAME IN THE PAYPAL REMARKS
    Paypal adress:
    Email adress:
    Will also accept US POSTAL MONEY ORDER.
    Last edited by kruger; 02-02-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added content
    WOW, sigs. Havent seen these in a while here on AO.

Here are some examples of the type of wood that is availible. Please note that these are just examples of the wood, and are here just to kinda show you what different kinds of woods look like. These are early attempts and are flowed in some way or another. Also, I am not a photographer, and it shows. True colors are not well represented in these pics. I will update this post as the inventory changes.

This one is called Morado, a wood from South America. It is an example of a finished product.

This is called Kingwood, also from South America. This one is not for sale. It was my first attempt and is flawed.

This one is called Heartwood, from Central America. This set has had no stain or seal on it. It is raw sanded wood. It is an example of a finished product.

This one is called Ambrosia Maple, from the USA. This one has only one flaw, the mounting screw is a bit off center. This wood is almost impossible to find like this. This one was made and I have never found anymore like it. This is just an example of the crazy colors that you can get in a grip. If this is what you want you must be willing to wait until I can find some more close to this style. Very hard to find.

This one is called Red Mallee burl, from Australia. This is an example of the "stabilized" or "plasticized" wood. THis wood is very hard to get and is very expensive. You must be willing to wait for me to try to find this wood. I do not have any on hand and it will take time to find, if I can find it at all.

This image is of three woods that I just got in. Click on image to get a better look.
    The one on the left is Figured Black Walnut. With stain, this will look great.
    The one in the middle is Brazilian Rosewood. This stuff is just awsome when finished.
    The one on the right is called Bocote. A Mexican Hardwood. It will finish like glass, and yes, it is Yellow and Black.

An example of Dye'd and stabilized wood. This set is a two color set, Green and Black. This set is going on a custom E-Tac that I have in the works. Other colors are availible and I am working on getting a list of the different colors .
    Last edited by kruger; 04-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Finished grips that either are going to customers or are in stock.

Ebony Grips

Cocobolo Grips

Cocobolo Grips

Leopardwood

Mexican Bocote

Zebrawood

Cherry

This one is Black Walnut

Red Mallee Burl, with a Poly coating, these will just be awesome

Ribbon Mohogany. Brown and Golden. These grips just glow golden in the light. Its almost irredecent the way that they look. And, as always, I cant get it to show up on the camera.
    The top set has the grain running horizontal, and the bottom set has the grain running vertical.
    Last edited by kruger; 12-07-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Now that youve lit up that bunker, your going to have to lean against it... im in ohio
    These are nice....

Thats some good looking stuff!
    Stock BKO (so far)
    68/3k Carbon Fiber Crossfire tank
    Halo B
    woot!
    I can tell that my parents hate me. My bath toys are a toaster and
    a radio.

Thanks, I am getting better at making these.

Kingwood Horizontal grain

Canarywood. This is a golden wood with streaks of brown and red in it. And, as usual, I cant get it to show up with my massive photographic skills.

This is called Prima Vera, sometimes known as White Mohogany. It has a grain structure that looks almost irredecent. Very nice.

Granadillo. It has rays that glow at different angles of the light. Very nice.

Last edited by kruger; 02-28-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Added Brazilian Rosewood and Granadillo wood. Should be here in the next coupla days. Will post pics.
    Last edited by kruger; 10-21-2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sp

bump for some awesome grips
    Last edited by Carbon Blue; 10-22-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks C.Blue. Also, I did clarify some things in the first post. Also, I plan in the next coupla days to update the pics. I will try to get better pics that show the colors of the wood. The pics that I have really do not do justice to the wood that I am working with.
    Last edited by kruger; 10-23-2006 at 04:24 PM.

I am starting to get PM's on these grips. And, I dont mind, but if you decide to order a set of grips from me, then I do need you to send an email to me with the information that I asked for in the first post. This does a coupla things. First, it gives me a reference for your order with what you want and where to sent the grips to. Second, the PM's are limited and will have to be purged eventually. I am old and my memory is not what it used to be. I do have a photographic memory, but I also have a problem with recall

Thanks for the interest guys.

any thought in doing .45's?

Also, could you get matching wood in a round stock, for a pump handle?

If so, i'd be intersted in working on a project with you

Sure, I can do 45 panels. I am not so sure about the pump handle. I mean, I can probably do it, but I am not set up right now to do it. But I may be able to work something out. But it does depend on how quick you are looking to get it done. PM me with what you are thinking about and we can work something out. Oh, and the matching wood is not a problem

RavishingEddie, I got your wood today. Will get them back to you as soon as I can.

What do you think of them? Take your time

They look real good, but they will look better after I have sanded them. You will like

Warpfeedmod, your grips are finished, will try to get them out on Monday. Emailed you.

Warp, got yours in the mail today. WIll start on the others tonight. Had a big weekend and did not have time to work on anything. But will catch up in the next coupla days. To the guys that sent me wood: Should be finished this week and will post up on progress.

Ravishing Edd, got yours finished and will try to get them in the mail tomorrow. Like I said, you will like.

Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Warp, got yours in the mail today. WIll start on the others tonight. Had a big weekend and did not have time to work on anything. But will catch up in the next coupla days. To the guys that sent me wood: Should be finished this week and will post up on progress.
    thats cool, can't wait for em to come in! I'll get some pics and post em up here!
    My Trader Feedback
    It was the only tournament I've been to where they have more cases of beer than paint. - gimp

awesome looking grips

any chance you would do hyperframe grips?
    let me know if you would

thanks

I dont see why not. I dont have a set of the grips to go by, but if the interest is there, then I will get some. Will send you a PM.

I dont see why not. I dont have a set of the grips to go by, but if the interest is there, then I will get some. Will send you a PM.
    My cocobolo grips are the best looking ones Can't wait to put them on my Emag. Maybe then I will do better on the MOTM.

Got yours in the mail today Rav. Ed. Sorry I didnt get them in yesterday, but had a real job that I had to deal with. Should be there in about 2 or 3 days. And, yes, those are yours in the pic in the thread.

And, I updated the wood that I have, added a pic of the new wood.
    Last edited by kruger; 11-02-2006 at 04:48 PM.

those are awesome grips!

Have you though of trying to make some with palm contours? Kinda like the old smart-parts wood wraparound grips.

I was looking at some wood stocks the other day and came across this:

it says it's "laminated pepperwood." I think it looks really cool, but I don't know how much patterns there would be on something as small as grip panels.

Thanks, I am trying. Palm swells I am working on. I make two types of panels, the flat kind, sorta like the stock grip panel, but a bit thicker. And an curved panel, it is thicker in the middle and tapers off on either side. The Smart Parts grips with the finger grooves are not something that I can make. There is more to that than you realize. Those were made on a mill and there is lots of wasted wood in milling one of those. I am doing these by hand and fitting every one, just to make sure that they work.

And, I have looked at the laminated wood. The example that you have there is really nice, lots of figure and contrasting color. As for how it would look on a grip panel, just look at the grip on the stock, that is about the same size. There is lots of grain on it and would show very well.

Thanks, I am trying. Palm swells I am working on. I make two types of panels, the flat kind, sorta like the stock grip panel, but a bit thicker. And an curved panel, it is thicker in the middle and tapers off on either side. The Smart Parts grips with the finger grooves are not something that I can make. There is more to that than you realize. Those were made on a mill and there is lots of wasted wood in milling one of those. I am doing these by hand and fitting every one, just to make sure that they work.

And, I have looked at the laminated wood. The example that you have there is really nice, lots of figure and contrasting color. As for how it would look on a grip panel, just look at the grip on the stock, that is about the same size. There is lots of grain on it and would show very well.
    Yeah, wraparound wood grips would be pretty impractical. Although they are nice. I'll look forward to seeing the the results of some of those colorful woods you've got.

any particular color? I can get just about any color, or color combo that you can ever want. From snow white to jet black, and everything between the two. The stuff that interests me is all natural, not laminated or plywood. But, your interests may be elsewhere. If you read my first post, I charge a flat rate to do the grips, then the wood is extra. You can buy my wood, or send your own. Makes me no difference which way you do it.

Oh, and the wrap around grips are pretty comfy, but they are too complicated for me to do. Besides, you can still buy those grips, but not in E/Xmag form.

i think i would like a pair.....just havt to think about the wood i want..... so many ti choose from....

The nice thing about it is that you are not limited to the wood that I have.

Styg: Yours are ready. Will try to ship them tomorrow.

Lupis Fidelis: Got your letter today, will get your gips in the mail tomorrow.
    Last edited by kruger; 11-06-2006 at 08:18 PM.

coo

Sounds good, cant wait to get them - I'll order the pearce insert and snap some pics of them for ya once I get the finish on them

How did the bloodwood turn out? Pretty much like the heartwood? just harder to work with?

Thanks so much

Styg
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL