Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Wood Grips

That Bloodwood works like Iron. Tough stuff. Should last forever, just keep termites away from it
    WOW, sigs. Havent seen these in a while here on AO.

Styg: ON the way

Lupis Fidelis: Also on the way.

Enjoy fellas

Question

what can you tell me about the
    This one is called Red Mallee burl, from Australia. This is an example of the "stabilized" or "plasticized" wood.
    and those types of wood?
    also.... do you have any white wood?.... like all white....

progress

First coat of poly on the heartwood and bloodwood.... they are lookin sweet

Did you oil the heartwood panels before you sent them back? they looked a lot darker, and are actually finishing darker than the bloodwood ones ( ie, will most likely be used rather than the bloodwood )

Ordered the wrap arounds this afternoon, should have them in a week or so... then we will put it all together and commence the major promoting of Kruger's skills!!!

still can't believe these are all done by hand, they are beautiful!!!

I did find two 1/4 inch pieces of the bloodwood that would make good panels. Tight fit to get 2 sets out of these pieces though, but I may send it your way for a friend, and maybe a set of 45s for my Sniper II.

These pics dont even do the work Kruger is doing justice, these pieces are so smooth and nice looking, they dont even need a finish applied to use them

Styg
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Frost17
    what can you tell me about the

and those types of wood?
    also.... do you have any white wood?.... like all white....
    The Red Burl that I have pictured is a set that I am slowly doing. The wood gets that way (the burl) when something happens to the tree. Damage, disease, a few other things will cause it to happen. I am no tree expert, but the thing that interests me is that you can get incredible grain patterns, and every one is unique, no two are the same. The problem with this stuff is because the grain runs wild, in different directions, it is prone to chipping and cracking. Well, what they do is pressure inject a type of plastic into the wood, to keep it from chipping or cracking as it dries. Makes for pretty wood, but it also makes for tuff stuff to form. It sands like a very, very hard plastic. And the wood is NOT cheap. That set of burl that I have in the pic will probably not get sold, because I have put too much in the wood. Now, having said all that, if you are interested, then I can do the burl, but I cannot make any guarantees that the wood will not chip while I am finishing it.

Sorry, forgot to post about the white wood. Yes, there is a white wood, called Holly. Supposed to be about as white as wood gets naturally. No, I dont have any at this time. You can go to crafts on Ebay and look under woodworking in the lumber section. There is more wood there than you ever knew existed. It will give you an idea of what is availiable
    Last edited by kruger; 11-11-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StygShore
    First coat of poly on the heartwood and bloodwood.... they are lookin sweet

Did you oil the heartwood panels before you sent them back? they looked a lot darker, and are actually finishing darker than the bloodwood ones ( ie, will most likely be used rather than the bloodwood )

Ordered the wrap arounds this afternoon, should have them in a week or so... then we will put it all together and commence the major promoting of Kruger's skills!!!

still can't believe these are all done by hand, they are beautiful!!!

I did find two 1/4 inch pieces of the bloodwood that would make good panels. Tight fit to get 2 sets out of these pieces though, but I may send it your way for a friend, and maybe a set of 45s for my Sniper II.

These pics dont even do the work Kruger is doing justice, these pieces are so smooth and nice looking, they dont even need a finish applied to use them

Styg
    Yea, sorry. I was in my groove and after I finished doing the mods on your grips, I just started to put the Teak Oil on. Once I started, there was no way to just stop. Had to finish them both. If it is a problem, then I can make another set

And, I need your opinion on the two sets. Too big?, too sloped? Not big enough?

I do look forward to seeing them on the Bone daddy. Should look great!

Checked the mail...

And my new grips are here!

Sweet! To all of you who are considering picking up some grips from Kruger you will not be disapointed. I will post pics real soon.

"There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. -James Morrow

RAMF.NET

Thanks Lupis, hope you enjoy them

sccchhhweeet

Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Yea, sorry. I was in my groove and after I finished doing the mods on your grips, I just started to put the Teak Oil on. Once I started, there was no way to just stop. Had to finish them both. If it is a problem, then I can make another set

And, I need your opinion on the two sets. Too big?, too sloped? Not big enough?

I do look forward to seeing them on the Bone daddy. Should look great!

No, not a problem the teak oil made the color really pop out on them, I suggest you teak oil all of them to bring out the grain in the wood. It did make a vast difference in the color when I put the poly on them, the Heartwood grips came out darker than the Bloodwood, but without as much definition in the grain ( that would be soft wood to hard wood difference I think )

As far as the curve, I have small hands, so the panels are beautiful for me - curve on them though slight is nice, very comfy. The thicker curved grips are also very comfy, the curve is perfect. I think those with larger hands or that wear thicker gloves will love the feel even more. The back of the grip will fill their palm very well, and with it tapering down toward the front it will allow them to get their fingers all the way into the trigger guard area to really work the trigger.

I got 2 coats of poly, and though my skills with a paintbrush and finishing are by no means good, they turned out sweet ( if anyoen else is goignt o hit them with a coat of poly, make sure you use a GOOD brush with natural bristles, or a foam brush. I had a cheap brush with natural bristles, and it put a lot of bubbles in the finish, so I had to really work the first layer of poly down to get it smooth again for the second coat.

Styg

Thanks for the feedback. I know what feels comfortable to me, but I am kinda strange, just ask my wife. On the curved panels, I do make the backs a bit thicker than the fronts, cuz at the front is where all the bizness happens.

And, yes, do use a good quality brush for any finish that you apply. It will make for less work in the end. And the heartwood and bloodwood are both Hardwoods, but just different degrees. Glad that the Teak oil was not a problem, I just had it on one grip before I realized what I was doing. I do like sealing the wood before I ship it, dont want the open pores of the wood to soak up any moisture and warp during shipping. Really glad that it is working out. And looking for pics, but NOT in the MOTM thread

Thems some might fine lookin grips ya got there pardner.

Thank you. I was taught the skill by Pygmy Tibetten Walmart greeters while on a pilgramage to
    pay homage to a Scared Snow Drift that is said to cure Hoof'N'Mouth disease. It was a good trip

updated wood

Updated wood grip pics. Added Red Mallee Burl.
    Last edited by kruger; 11-16-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Updated wood grip pics. Added Ribbon Mohogany.

bumpage

hay Mel do you think you could make any grips for my e cocker?

Whit

I will see what I can do for you Whit. Send me a PM on our Forum.

added Canarywood. Its in the 4th post.

nearly finished

here is a pic of my heartwood panels I got with 3 coats of poly. The wrap arounds give it a nice look

Good work Kruger, and I Might be sending the Bloodwood 1/4 panels I have your way for another set soon.

Styg
    Last edited by StygShore; 02-28-2007 at 04:29 PM.

They look good. Cant wait to see them on the Bone Daddy. That is if you ever get finished with it.

nice

Tell me about it... hopefully on it's way to Jay tomorrow

These panels are perfect, the curve, the size, everything seems to fit perfect.

Styg

Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    They look good. Cant wait to see them on the Bone Daddy. That is if you ever get finished with it.

Well, Styg, WHENEVER you get finished, still looking foreward to seeing it. Good luck

Bump. Getting ready for the Ocala game. Any that attend, come by and say hello.

Added Prima Vera finished pics, also known as White Mohogany. If you are looking for a set of light colored grips, then this may be what you are looking for. It has a slight irredecent sheen to it, kinda like the ribbon mohogany.

If anybody is interested, I will not be able to answer any PM's until Monday. Leaving for the Ocala game this afternoon.

Ravashing Eddie, sent you a PM

bump.........also, starting to work on the vert. frame panels. Just to see how they are gonna be........

First attempt at the vert. grip panels. Some flaws, but not bad, if I do say so myself.
    Last edited by kruger; 12-06-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Just double checking to make sure you can do this before convincing the wife I need wood grips for my new gun. Can you do .45 grips in the ambrosia maple? The kind with only 2 screw holes, like in dye stickies?
    Last edited by RedSkies; 12-08-2006 at 09:25 PM.

EDIT: This post is pertaining to the 90 deg. panels, I am just starting to make these. I can do the 45 panels and the E/Xmag panels already. EDIT

I am in the learning stage of this. So, the short answer is yes, but not yet. I am considering buying a spindle sander, the one piece of equipment that I need to make these right. As for the 45 panels, I can do them, but, the Ambrosia Maple is a very unique wood. There will not be another set like the one that I have listed. I have looked for more that is similar, but everything else that I find is so different from the one that I had. Dont get wrong, Ambrosia Maple is availible, but ALL of it is different. That is what I like about this, no two are the same. But, then that is the problem, you cant get two that are the same, if you get my drift.

What kind of marker are you looking to get 45 panels for?
    Last edited by kruger; 12-07-2006 at 09:47 PM.