Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Original 68 Automag rebuild

Bagheera, nice. Looks to me like bullpup meets rifle. I'm looking forward to seeing it once you slap a purdy shell on it. FYI, the Qloader folks will replace pretty much any broken parts for you no questions asked.

MAGslinger, any idiot with a drill can do that six-hole mod - the catch is that it doesn't actually increase performance. Some early valves didn't align perfectly and the six-hole mod fudged that so they did, but it did very little then and it does nothing now that AGD threads the reg and valve so the holes line up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePixelGuru
    Bagheera, nice. Looks to me like bullpup meets rifle. I'm looking forward to seeing it once you slap a purdy shell on it.
    Thanks. Although this one has a much slimmer design than the next one I'm designing, which will be an actual bullpup Tac-One with a shorty front barrel and the ammo/air in the stock. I'm going pure tactical with the next one, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePixelGuru
    FYI, the Qloader folks will replace pretty much any broken parts for you no questions asked.
    Good to know, because the QLoader elements arrived pretty borked. I think the last user was pretty rough on it, and that could be why it was sold

The Skeleton is 99% done, with only an adjustment here and an adjustment there. Here is the final skeleton, with the proposed placement for plastic panels, which will also be fabricated from scratch. The gun on the very bottom is a graphic from Battlefield 2142, and the gun on the top is the actual working gun I've built around a Vintage (1992) Level 7 Classic Mag with a Warp Right Body.

I recently installed a thumb velocity adjuster on the automag, and it didn't work. It either vented out (safety) or didn't fire at all. There seemed to be no middle ground such as with the stock adjuster.

Did you put the spring pack in backwards ? also try using a couple of small washers as shims my thumb velocity adjust didnt work well untill i shimmed it. Also most places require you to tourney lock your velocity adjust which means you have to carry extra allen wrenches to adjust the velocity (instead of just the 1/8" one that you can strip the rest of your mag down with)

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera
    I recently installed a thumb velocity adjuster on the automag, and it didn't work. It either vented out (safety) or didn't fire at all. There seemed to be no middle ground such as with the stock adjuster.
    Did you have the lvl 10 bolt kit installed, or was it lvl 7 bolt?

LVL 10: no sweat.
    LVL 7 : er, we need to trouble shoot this.

Quote Originally Posted by secretweaponevan
    Did you have the lvl 10 bolt kit installed, or was it lvl 7 bolt?

LVL 10: no sweat.
    LVL 7 : er, we need to trouble shoot this.
    Errr... Level 7. It's not a do or die thing, but I thought it would be neat to have on, to adjust velocity according to weather without having to bust out the allen wrench.

If you put the stock adjuster back on, does it still function properly?

All the adjuster does, is put pressure on the spring pack that holds the regulator piston assembly in place. It can't cause a leak by itself. Any leak has to be overpressure caused by too much force on the spring pack, or a leaking regulator piston oring.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    If you put the stock adjuster back on, does it still function properly?

All the adjuster does, is put pressure on the spring pack that holds the regulator piston assembly in place. It can't cause a leak by itself. Any leak has to be overpressure caused by too much force on the spring pack, or a leaking regulator piston oring.

It works with the stock adjuster. Is the aftermarket adjuster putting too much pressure on the spring pack, no matter the torsion on the regulator?

If too much force is applied by the aftermarket regulator, just back it off until that force is reduced. Any force that is too high, even backed out all the way, would be too much to start the threads of the adjuster when putting the regulator together.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    If too much force is applied by the aftermarket regulator, just back it off until that force is reduced. Any force that is too high, even backed out all the way, would be too much to start the threads of the adjuster when putting the regulator together.
    It's all or nothing with the aftermarket regulator. Either it's too much force (venting) or it's not enough to cycle the bolt. With stock, it's fine.

Do you have the smooth end of the spring pack facing the back, pressing on the adjuster? The crimped end goes in the allen hole of the reg piston. If your new adjuster doesn't have a hole for the crimp and the pack is flipped around, it is pushing the center shaft against the piston.

Assuming I followed the conversation correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW
    Do you have the smooth end of the spring pack facing the back, pressing on the adjuster? The crimped end goes in the allen hole of the reg piston. If your new adjuster doesn't have a hole for the crimp and the pack is flipped around, it is pushing the center shaft against the piston.

Assuming I followed the conversation correctly.
    I'll double check it Sunday, after some downtime, and get back to ya.