Thread: My new project...EtekMag

My new project...EtekMag

Okay, there's no way in Hades that this is close to as nice as other people's Ego/EtekMags (kenjay comes to mind), but I had an extra Mag and needed a project to tinker with. I've got everything but the proper sized solenoid for this thing. (I have one, but it's too big to fit in the frame. ) Really the only things I had to do were drill the back of the frame for the valve screw and drill another hole in the rail a bit more forward so the asa fit. Hopefully I'll be able to get the solenoid soon and get her up and running.

I have the solenoid you need, PM me if you would like to purchase one.

Nice job!

The only thing I don't like about the Tippman LPR is that there is no on/off. I Like to bleed the air from my guns when not in use. Just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz
    I have the solenoid you need, PM me if you would like to purchase one.

Nice job!

The only thing I don't like about the Tippman LPR is that there is no on/off. I Like to bleed the air from my guns when not in use. Just my preference.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping the Tippmann ASA, though it is nice that everything is all in the frame. So theoretically I'd be able to just remove the entire frame, asa and all and put on a trigger rod and another AGD frame and be good to go Mech style. Wouldn't have to worry about hoses through the rail or anything. Though, I suppose just having an asa with an LPR off the side...

I'm going to PM you about the noid with an offer.

Lookin good. I need to put mine together and get some pics.

Well, got this thing up and running! Seems to be going well so far. Here's a short video of it shooting. (Warning, extremely BAD video, view at your own risk).

Yeah, like I said, bad video. Taken on my cell phone in my garage with nothing but a 60 watt bulb for light. Anyway, forgot to thank Koleah for the soon to be rail I'll have on there and Toll for the piston (wish I would have been able to use the noid too ) The rail coming in is ULE'd, and I think I'll be able to fit the solenoid inside one of the voids in the rail so everything isn't so crammed inside the frame. I think the board is stuck right now on a 10 bps cap, I just need to print out the pages from the Etek manual and mess with it for a bit to get the settings how I want them. Though, I've got this running on a Classic Valve using an RT on/off, so SUPER high rates of fire are really not that important to me. Really this was mainly about having a little project.

But that's that. I'll be playing at the Davis Big Game on the 2nd and should be able to put this one through it's paces, as well as my Cheater mag. Should be able to get some better video (at least some outside in real light). Hope to see some of you there.

I guess the solenoid made it to you OK, the PO would not let me get Delivery Confirmation. They said that the envelope was too thin. FIrst time I have ever heard that one. Glad to hear that you got it.

I am sure you will love it. Everyone that I have built one for tells me that tthey are their new "Go To" marker.

I will be at Davis for the 2nd and I will have my Emaggos there too.

I guess the solenoid made it to you OK, the PO would not let me get Delivery Confirmation. They said that the envelope was too thin. FIrst time I have ever heard that one. Glad to hear that you got it.

I am sure you will love it. Everyone that I have built one for tells me that tthey are their new "Go To" marker.

I will be at Davis for the 2nd and I will have my Emaggos there too.

Yeah, got here just fine. I posted up on the thread you started, but yeah, my brother and I will be there on the 2nd. I just watched a video on Vimeo someone had from one of the big games, 18 minutes long. Looks like a good time, really looking forward to this.

Got my new (to me) ULE'd rail and Fibur barrel. Got everything up and running like a champ. Solenoid now sits inside the rail just above and behind the vert asa. Running full rock until I rebuild my micro-rock. Now if only I could get that darned feedneck off...

Took some better pictures this evening. Enjoy...

Last edited by xero28; 12-23-2009 at 01:48 PM.

to get that feedneck off, hit it with a little bit of heat and take a strap wrench to it. I sell CCM products if you want to replace it with something top notch quality. PM me for pricing

Quote Originally Posted by SSP REAPER
    to get that feedneck off, hit it with a little bit of heat and take a strap wrench to it. I sell CCM products if you want to replace it with something top notch quality. PM me for pricing
    Already got a CCM for it. I'll try the heat. Thanks.

You need to post some inside pics so we can see the build.

hey xero, all you need is any vice grips and a bunch of electrical tape! just wrap the feedneck at least 5-10 times to get a good layer for the grips to bite into without touching the metal, and voila!

Quote Originally Posted by koleah
    I took one yesterday with my phone, but I forgot it at home this morning (at work now). I'll put it up when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_monkey07
    hey xero, all you need is any vice grips and a bunch of electrical tape! just wrap the feedneck at least 5-10 times to get a good layer for the grips to bite into without touching the metal, and voila!
    Thanks. Though I did finally get the feedneck off. Put it in some boiling water for a bit. I still had to really crank it to get it off. Did scratch it up a bit, but no big deal, don't have any use for it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by koleah
    Here's a view inside of the rail.

How well does the Classic valve keeps up with it? Have you modded the on/off fir either a RT or ULT one? What about the recharge rate?

I know that if you keep the board at 13bps max (which is inside the new PSP rules), it should run OK but what if you do uncapped semi and go up to, say, 18 bps?

Did you disable the eyes?

When I built my EGO framed Mag I needed to shut the eyes off to get beyond the 10bps cap.

I was using a stock EGO board from 2006.

After you get that frame up and running,.. a nice treat of an upgrade would be a SD EGO board

~ P8nt

Last edited by p8ntbal4me; 12-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsd
    How well does the Classic valve keeps up with it? Have you modded the on/off fir either a RT or ULT one? What about the recharge rate?

I know that if you keep the board at 13bps max (which is inside the new PSP rules), it should run OK but what if you do uncapped semi and go up to, say, 18 bps?

Don't know exactly yet. I'll be playing for the first time with it in a week, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by modding the on/off, but if you're asking if I put in an RT or ULT on/off, yes, I have an RT on/off in the valve. I've seen people running pneumags with classic valves easily around 12-13 bps. Honestly that's about as fast as I would want to shoot with it anyway. If I want to shoot faster or if I start to see drop off problems I'll toss my X-Valve on there. From what I understand though, I think the stock Etek board is only capable of 15.4 bps and only has semi and ramping modes, no full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me
    Did you disable the eyes?

When I built my EGO framed Mag I needed to shut the eyes off to get beyond the 10bps cap.

I was using a stock EGO board from 2006.

After you get that frame up and running,.. a nice treat of an upgrade would be a SD EGO board

~ P8nt
    I think so. I think that since I don't have any wires going into the connector on the board for the eyes, they are automatically disabled. I'm still trying to figure out the programming and modes and stuff on the board. I just need to spend 20 minutes or so with the PE instructions and the board and get things down. I was thinking about the SD board, they're super cheap. I bought one for a Cocker I had, though I never got around to playing with it. I was looking at ETEK boards and EGO boards and I'm not 100% sure if the EGO board will fit correctly in the frame though. If anyone has any information on that I'd love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by xero28
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by modding the on/off, but if you're asking if I put in an RT or ULT on/off, yes, I have an RT on/off in the valve. I've seen people running pneumags with classic valves easily around 12-13 bps.
    I mean shorten the on/off pin length,.. makes a huge difference in the reactivity of the marker. But if you are not using an X-Valve or the like,... don't bother.

I think so. I think that since I don't have any wires going into the connector on the board for the eyes, they are automatically disabled. I'm still trying to figure out the programming and modes and stuff on the board. I just need to spend 20 minutes or so with the PE instructions and the board and get things down.
    The eyes default to "enabled" on the PE stock boards as late as 2007. Just because you dont have eyes installed does not mean the board still has them set to being "on".

Only after a certain number of shots does the board go into an "eye fault" mode. Most aftermarket boards have this when you power it on,... but the stock PE boards do not as I remember mine.

You do need to disable the eye(s).

I was looking at ETEK boards and EGO boards and I'm not 100% sure if the EGO board will fit correctly in the frame though. If anyone has any information on that I'd love to know.
    From what I can see,... you have a 2006 Etek Star frame. It should take the 2006 Ego/E-Blade boards.

If you can get a good picture of the board so I can see the screw hole locations,... I could tell you if its possible.

~ P8nt

Here's a view inside of the rail.

A tech note: If for any reason you have problems with the recharge rate of the solenoid keeping up with the ram,.. you may want to move that solenoid into the grip just behind the LCD screen. That's where I have mine and it fits perfectly between the screen and the battery side.

Typically you want the solenoid to be as close to the ram as possible to keep your dwell as low as possible,.... saving you air and keeping your ROF as high as you can take it.

~ P8nt

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me
    A tech note: If for any reason you have problems with the recharge rate of the solenoid keeping up with the ram,.. you may want to move that solenoid into the grip just behind the LCD screen. That's where I have mine and it fits perfectly between the screen and the battery side.

Typically you want the solenoid to be as close to the ram as possible to keep your dwell as low as possible,.... saving you air and keeping your ROF as high as you can take it.

~ P8nt

Thanks for the input. I'll see how it goes next week and determine if anything needs to be adjusted.

Here's a photo of inside the frame and the board...

I think that one difference between the Etek board and the Ego board is that the screw closest to the micro-switch is below the switch on the Etek and above it on the Ego. Though, considering I don't have a screw there, I'm not sure if it would matter.

Here's a photo of inside the frame and the board...

I think that one difference between the Etek board and the Ego board is that the screw closest to the micro-switch is below the switch on the Etek and above it on the Ego. Though, considering I don't have a screw there, I'm not sure if it would matter.
    Every stock Ego board I have seen uses break beam not a micro switch.

I have never seen an Etek board, only Etek2. This is probably an Etek board.

Every stock Ego board I have seen uses break beam not a micro switch.

I have never seen an Etek board, only Etek2. This is probably an Etek board.
    Yeah, sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. The board in there IS a stock Etek 1 board. I'm just trying to figure out if an Ego board will fit in there. Maybe I can take a look at yours on the 2nd.

Got everything put together and was able to put some paint through it today. Don't know how fast it's chronoing, but I'm more than satisfied with the speed.

Wink

Wow....and that fast with just a Classic valve huh ?
    Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    Wow....and that fast with just a Classic valve huh ?
    Impressive.

Yeah. I didn't really notice if there was any drop off. I'll be playing with on Saturday, so we'll see how it does over a chrony.

Very impressive! Im glad this worked out for you,... its hard to want to complete such a build when things start going wrong with a ground up build like this,... kudos to you!

I was able to get some measurements from the 2005-2006 EGO Star Frame for you.

Based on the following diagram,.. and like you said about the EGO board front frame mount screw hole,.. the EGO board will NOT fit.

However,.. if you DID want it to fit on the frame:

1) Get a nut that is the same thread size as the board mounting screws from your ETEK frame
    2) Put a piece of electrical tape along the back of the SD EGO board
    3) Tap the frame for the threading you need and add the nut for thread depth (or use a piece of threaded plastic tube,.. something very small)
    4) Thread the frame screw into the tapped hole and nut

That would only work if there was no components on the back side of the board.

Honestly if you like the board you have,.. run with it. However the EGO boards are pretty cheap right now. So if you had some cash to try it out,... it wouldnt hurt you any.

~ P8nt

just a question

I was wondering what size of solenoid to use i saw one at asp online it was a size of a quater it was SMC S070C-SDG-32 .Was that the one you used or was it bigger.Thanks wixxxman

Quote Originally Posted by wixxxman
    I was wondering what size of solenoid to use i saw one at asp online it was a size of a quater it was SMC S070C-SDG-32 .Was that the one you used or was it bigger.Thanks wixxxman
    Yep, that's the one that I used. Check with Loguzzzzzz, he had the noid and I think has more if you need one.

Yep, that's the one that I used. Check with Loguzzzzzz, he had the noid and I think has more if you need one.
    Thanks for the info