Thread: Well, I was going to buy an Enmey, buuut...

Well, I was going to buy an Enmey, buuut...

Much like Cinderella's pumpkin became a carriage, my Enmey magically became an Automag!

I really was going to buy an Enmey, really. I wanted a new woodsball gun that could perform well, and it wouldn't matter if it got abused. This gun would be kept purposely bare bones, and not take me on an endless money draining upgrade spiral. I researched the Enmey thoroughly and liked the concept and simplicity of the thing, plus they get glowing reviews while costing almost nothing. What's not to like, right?

However, and this shows the thinking of a mag lover or anyone who likes 'old skool', I remembered I still had a leftover sear assembly, thumbscrew, and Lvl10 bolt from my old Minimag I parted out years ago. "Hell, that's half the gun right there," I thought. I figured I'd pick up the other odds and ends online and the mag could still come out almost as cheap as an Enmey, yet be classic, American made heavy-metal paintball awesomeness! Of course, instead of the perfectly usable, and far cheaper, classic valve option I opted for the increased performance of the Retro Valve, which incidentally used cost almost as much as an Enmey. I also wanted to be able to use cocker threaded barrels on a classic steel body so I purchased a Doc's adapter and nice new Lapco Bigshot. Unlike most people, I actually prefer the hopper right configuration, because it gives my dominant right eye a nice sight line down the body and barrel on the right side of the mag.

Then I had to have a good, functional on/off so here came the CP mini combo. Everything came together this weekend and I got her Lvl10 bolt tuned perfectly. This thing shoots darts, even with the crappy field paint I had for testing. She's very simple, but she turned out real nice. However, to be truthful the final tally of this simple, 'bare bones' mag came out to about $315.. or about the cost of TWO Enmey's! I could have saved a lot of money buying a used complete classic valved mag, but I would have had to sell the crap on it I didn't want and that just seemed like a hassle. Maybe this gun wasn't a "logical" choice for my purpose, and maybe it isn't as "efficient", or "light weight", or whatever silly terms those crazy kids use now, but what does that have to do with anything? It's an Automag!!!

Maybe not the most financially sound way to do it, but you built a well-tuned indestructible shooter that you love and had fun doing it. I call that a win!

Nice!

No need for a foregrip? I always have to have something, even just an offhand thumb rest.

I could swear the Gardners employ someone with a brain. You see hints of interesting re-design, crushed by cheap manufacturing. The eNMey is an interesting study of "how low can you go". Personally, if you are in that neighborhood, I like the vibe or whatever they call it now. Might as well put a battery in the plastic. Some basic things I usually don't bother tossing at the GoG "fanboys" () are 1) the detents are poor and changing them is a pain. 2) plastic banjo fittings stink, especially when the screw can tear the rear plug o-ring 3) 200 psi in a plastic 3-way housing is not a good start, as noted by the number of cracked ones 4) plastic feednecks don't last 5) the older ASA would crack if you tightened the 1/8" NPT fitting too much (don't know if they changed that).

The spool and valve design are similar to the Gen-e matrix when they didn't have LPRs, along with the vent action on the bolt of the ICD freestyle. The only innovation I see in the line is the integration and design-for-manufacture. I bought an old vibe to tinker with for $40. I suppose it has been worth that in entertainment, but it hasn't been easy to make it reliable.

Now that I think about it, I think I built my last mag after considering a eNMey also.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    gog enmey will never look as cool as a 'mag though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    Nice!

No need for a foregrip? I always have to have something, even just an offhand thumb rest.
    For some reason, I've never liked foregrips on classic mags. I think the proportions of the short rail/body with a tank attached make it feel like handling a shoulder stocked pistol. Feels very maneuverable. It's very easy to switch hands with too, since they're right on top of each other already. I do like foregrips on Minimags, RT's, and any long rail mag.

I did almost buy a SP1, and the re-make G1, before, but both times I ended up getting a Minimag and RT respectively. On the rare occasions that I do have funds for a new gun, it's really hard to plunk down money for a plastic one, even if I think they would be a good gun. Even simple classic mags exude strength and quality in your hand. Automags are still the guns of my childhood dreams, so that allure and nostalgia is still stronger than all other considerations most of the time.

Thumbs up

I'm working on a very similar build ,for a back up/loaner . Hmmm maybe i should try your line of sight ( right side )on this particular powerfeed body ?
    I'm always looking down the left side out of habit .

nice job ! Nice simple clean build ! with her.