Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Powder - Custom Marker Refinishing

Precision Powder - Custom Marker Refinishing

Let me start with a quick introduction, my name is Roger and i own Precision Powder. I offer custom powder coating, custom ceramic coating, and media blasting, and chemical stripping. While I mainly deal in the automotive/motorcycle and construction industries I also refinish paintball markers. I am highly aware of the tolerances involved which markers.

Why powder coating is better than anodizing:
    1) I can produce colors that anodizing is not capable of producing, ever
    2) I can produce finishes that anodizing is not capable of producing, ever
    3) Powder coating offers serious protection again stretches and dings. if you scratch anodizing you also are stretching the metal
    4) Powder coating can produce truly metallic colors with color shifting flakes
    5) Powder coating can be stripped an indefinite amount of times without effecting the metal
    6) Powder coating can be applied to any metal not just aluminum
    7) Powder coating can be applied to cast metals where anodizing can only be applied to billet aluminum. While this does not directly apply to paintball its a handy piece of information to know.

Two important things to keep in mind:
    1) Powder coating is an external coating only, it will not be applied to interior parts of the marker, those will be taped and plugged off. If your marker is already anodized i will clean it up and go directly over it as there is no reason to remove it.
    2) Despite the ridiculous myth your marker will NOT be noticeably heavier, we are talking a 1/10th of an ounce maybe.

Some of you may have already seen some of my work in Kwik175's "Stormwalk Project" thread. For those of you that have not I will post pictures below.

While I'm here I'd like to address the cost factor, pricing of powder coating is difficult as it is based on a number of different factors: number of coats, size of the object, number of pieces, existing condition, finish requested, and custom finishes/colors. Prices for a full marker can range anywhere from $100 for a simple one color job to $350-400 for something completely custom with multiple layers and effects.

Finishes such as: metallics, veins, rivers, textures, wrinkles, chameleon, candy, matte, glossy, cast, and pearls are available. These effects can be compounded when I use more than one on the same part.

While I'm on the topic of finishes, custom finishes will always be a one off job. I will NEVER repeat a finish for someone else if i have already done it for someone else. Its important to me that each custom job stays unique. I will do something close, or something of the same concept but please do not ask me to copy something I have already done because I will not do it.

Now on to some pictures, here are a few of the custom finishes I have done.

Custom metallic wine red candy, with a metallic charcoal

Orange with gold pearl, with a chameleon purple -> blue flake

Completely custom chameleon finish with multiple sized flakes.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here.
    Last edited by PrecisionPowder; 11-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Do you have any examples of white powdercoating? To be more specific, a dust white color. I know for some reason white is one color anodizing cannot accommodate and most that claim to be white are really grey or some variant hue.

Thanks!

very nice!! I take that back its sexy!!

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    Do you have any examples of white powdercoating? To be more specific, a dust white color. I know for some reason white is one color anodizing cannot accommodate and most that claim to be white are really grey or some variant hue.

Thanks!
    I will put up a picture of a matte white tomorrow, they are in fact a true white though. Here is a glossy white sample though.

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    very nice!! I take that back its sexy!!
    Thank you sir, that mag was one of my favorite projects I've done.

I like this a lot. Saving money...hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyJay View Post
    I like this a lot. Saving money...hopefully!
    I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks!

Some friends of mine tried using cerekote(?) the firearm finish to make their mags white and it did not perform as wished.

I can remember seeing a dust white powder coat on a custom cocker a long time ago and thought it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    Thanks!

Some friends of mine tried using cerekote(?) the firearm finish to make their mags white and it did not perform as wished.

I can remember seeing a dust white powder coat on a custom cocker a long time ago and thought it was awesome.
    Iv offered cerakote for a while, its not something for a paintball gun. Its a firearm or exhaust coating only. Ill post matte white pictures tonight for those interested

Here are pictures of the automag all back together

And some axe parts

Was not able to get to shooting that matte white sample today for you guys since i had some other work to do, but i will leave you guys with this picture a customer just sent me.

1911 (A real one) in gold cerakote.

its a bit dark but here is a true bright white and a bright white with a flat clear.

here is a video of the mag with direct light on it. make sure to click the HD button in the video

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151835119919879" width="854" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

PM'ed You!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_81 View Post
    PM'ed You!
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    Whoo Whee!!! looks great yo!!!
    thank you, ill have more posted at the end of the week. i have an axe on the way for a pearl white with a custom blue pearl

white pearl, with a custom blue pearl added

Last edited by PrecisionPowder; 12-18-2014 at 04:46 PM.

PM sent.

So i was wondering if you had any ideas what to do with this?

I had thought about having segments dipped would you want that done before sending to you for coating

PM'd

also here is another mag

and here is a geo in a custom metallic blue and a custom blue pearl white

That mag is mine and Roger did a great job on it. I have a few more parts to send him. It's quality work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bxmarg View Post
    That mag is mine and Roger did a great job on it. I have a few more parts to send him. It's quality work.

Thank you! Looking forward to doing the next round of parts

Here is a small update to the thread, two sydarms I just completed for a member here and a phantom.

Roger, I was wondering if it was possible to powdercoat a classic valve (and have it remain functional)? I've read that stainless can be done and it looks like you have the skills, so I guess I'm just concerned about the tolerances. How thick does the coating end up to be? What finishes would be possible? Thanks for your time

-grub

One of the rigs I'm sending in was going to include a valve as well. I'm certain it will get masked in the right places based on our discussion.

Plus like you said, he has got the skills. I'm just waiting on colors and then will be sending them in the markers soon for him to work on.

(Not to hi-jack, more of an FYI, if you wanted to wait and see how he does)

No problem, I can't wait to see how your setup turns out.

-grub

Top notch work! I presume you're in the USA? I ask because I'm a Canuck.
    AO Feedback |*| MCB Feedback |*| Please ship to me in Canada using USPS (US shipping also an option...US Parcel Pickup)

I have 2 mags that Roger did for me and they are amazing. My purple metallic Karta is exactly as I wanted per our discussions. The Phoenix Stormwalk project was a leap in color but turned out stunning. I recommend his work to anyone as top notch. He masks everything and the tolerances are in no way affected. Thanks again Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Roger, I was wondering if it was possible to powdercoat a classic valve (and have it remain functional)? I've read that stainless can be done and it looks like you have the skills, so I guess I'm just concerned about the tolerances. How thick does the coating end up to be? What finishes would be possible? Thanks for your time

-grub
    I don't see why I couldn't. The valve would need to be disassembled completely first, and you would need to provide me with a few pictures of how it goes together so I can mask off any vital areas. Only the visible portions would be coated leaving it completely functional.

As far as a thickness it would depend 100% on the finish you wanted. A solid glossy color will be thinner than metallics, candies, custom flakes, or custom flat colors specifically because those require more than one coat. Typically a coat is applied at 3-5 mils (1mil = .001").

Finishes possible are as follows:
    solid tone
    candy
    matte
    wrinkle
    vein
    texture
    river
    metallic
    pearl
    chameleon (color changing)
    or combinations of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
    Top notch work! I presume you're in the USA? I ask because I'm a Canuck.
    Thank you!

Correct, I am located in Maine roughly 2 hours from Quebec. International shipping is not very costly though, I just sent back a phantom I did for someone in Canada I believe it cost $27 to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by kwik175 View Post
    I have 2 mags that Roger did for me and they are amazing. My purple metallic Karta is exactly as I wanted per our discussions. The Phoenix Stormwalk project was a leap in color but turned out stunning. I recommend his work to anyone as top notch. He masks everything and the tolerances are in no way affected. Thanks again Roger.

You are very welcome! Thank you again for the kind words!