Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radios

Radios

so I'm in talks with the horde commanders about how to communicate on the field and we are working on a system.

Basicly the horde command will have a command channel open that will include the legion commanders and a few choice team leaders. Theyve already thrown talk my way about the sheer number of people we are going to have there and how to coordinate it. Idealy they want 2-3 of us linked into the command channel and then those 2-3 people to have a seperate walkie for team communication to keep command channel clutter down.

this has yet to be said but I'm assuming they want us to provide our own walkies

So I do plan on investing in 2 radios that have the ability to be incrypted as the command channel will be incrypted. if we choose to not incypt our team channel then I'll just loan the other radio to someone else for the game and borrow someones spare for the team channel.

thoughts and disscussion

Having 2 walkies to carry around is a pain for someone. And yes, they expect you to have your own walkie talkies. The best method may be for us to have our own for the AO army, and whenever someone goes back to base after being shot, they check in with the command bunker. Once doing that, the dead but soon to be reinserted person can relay plans to the group. Chances are every 5-10 minutes one of us is going to be shot out, so their should be a steady flow of dead able to check in personally with command at the reinsertion. Is my suggestion....

Or we can 'wing it' and devolve into random, mostly individual acts. Which is what seems to happen 95% of the time...

yea it happens alot. I just want us to be a concentrated force more often then not.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    yea it happens alot. I just want us to be a concentrated force more often then not.
    Zac - let's figure out if we can get 2 or three experienced people to lead us. Any ideas? (don't say me I will be too drunk and paying attention the naked HK chicks)

Tom... Bud... lol

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    Or we can 'wing it' and devolve into random, mostly individual acts. Which is what seems to happen 95% of the time...
    Can we make this a poll? I've had little success using radios.

i'm pretty set on at least 6-10 of us with radios

You know, even more of a simple Idea. I'll just leave one of our radios at command labeled AO Army. I mean, who do you call when the going's strange? who ever is with BigEvil

Most of my guys usually have radios. However, I say mostly inappropriate things into it, so not sure how well that will go over...

I'll put a caution sticker on the radio

I'm going to try to get my radios working this year. I didn't have any luck with them last year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    Most of my guys usually have radios. However, I say mostly inappropriate things into it, so not sure how well that will go over...
    You think you have that problem...

In the past our small team of 4-5 leaves a radio at the command base on our channel and the general or xo coordinates us where needed on missions. It has been very succesful.

The thing to remember here is not everyone has the same interests/expectations out of the game, for example some want to run missions while others want to mow faces.

In my poor uneducated division we divide our army into whatever the army divisions are called, platoons or regiments whatever, and it makes it easier to figure out who to send where. If the mission is to hold a spot down for x time we send a team to run the mission/guard the location and another team to mow the surrounding faces.

Just my thought, maybe something to consider, maybe I'm way off

Most important thing is to be on the field at the skirmish when it is on. If you blow everything off all day taking photos, checking vendors, or just shooting the breeze...be on the field when your skirmish is on. We were the only squad that won both skirmishes last year on the Horde side. You wanna make an impact...take the skirmish in force and tear it up.
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

The skirmishes will be held on the badlands field this time around

i still think the AO Army should have its own paint color, the louder the better.

i've never tried a radio headset with voice activation thru a mask but i bet it would be too much trouble.

You can shoot any paint color you want at legends... As long as it's white.

Voice activation during paintball games is stupid. Your shooting activates it.

Some radios can listen to two channels at time. So that would prevent the need for carrying two.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    i've never tried a radio headset with voice activation thru a mask but i bet it would be too much trouble.
    Voice activation is bad on a game. It gets constantly activated by heavy breathing and firing your gun. Which in turn prevents all communication.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    You think you have that problem...
    At least I know I won't be the only one being scolded for being inappropriate on the radios.

The last big game I played we had a few on my team that used radios and I got this from Academy http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midl...idland&Ntk=All

This worked great as the push to talk button was easy to place. As far as encryption goes if you have radios with sub channel support it would be hard for someone to find your channel. Even at that just have an backup channel to switch to if someone does find it.

So, I've been reading about radios a lot lately because I've been thinking about buying new ones. From what I've read, all FRS/GMRS radios should be able to work with each other. To me, this means that I could use a Motorola TalkAbout with someone else using a Midland radio. Anyone know for sure if this is the case? Any caveats? Do we plan on using something other than GMRS radios for LL7? I know in the past, Puxing radios were used by Horde command, to keep things private.

if someone does the research and finds a less then 40$ radio that we can encrypt... im sold

i have some basic radios and have no idea what the specs on them are. they do have sub channels though. As for having a backup channel or people finding the one we are using, I have employed a little trick the last few years....
    In a stern and offical sounding voice, I tell people on 'my' channel that it is a restricted channel used by CPX and that they need to get off. Works every year so far.

In the past large teams have run a dedicated radio person that has one radio to HQ and one to the troops on the field. It doesn't even have to be someone playing, in fact its a great way to get a spouse/significant other involved in the game that wouldn't otherwise play as they can worry solely about radios and not about being shot at as well. As we get into Jan/Feb and things get worked out more radios and command will be worked out more and become more clear. Like Wimag said, make sure everyone gets to their skirmish to get those points. It's a great way to impress command and get in the running for MVT or MOFO

well if someone wants to bring someone to act as a carrier

You need Skippdog to bring Jackson. He is the communication commad master.

I highly recommend radios by Baofeng & Puxing. They are fully programmable, high power (4K transmit) and also fully compatible with anyone using the ubiquitous FRS/GMRS radios.

Quote Originally Posted by wimag View Post
    Most important thing is to be on the field at the skirmish when it is on. If you blow everything off all day taking photos, checking vendors, or just shooting the breeze...be on the field when your skirmish is on. We were the only squad that won both skirmishes last year on the Horde side. You wanna make an impact...take the skirmish in force and tear it up.
    what are these "Skirmishes" I keep hearing about?
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL