Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time at LL

first time at LL

ok how should i pack my gear on the field? how much paint should i carry.... tell me anything that will help me game wise or anything. should i have two tanks on the field? say i need air can i leave the game and rejoin? will they have prizes? lol

You can carry 2 tanks if you wish... dont

Carry what you feel comfortable carrying. You can leave and fill anytime you want. Reinserions every 10 min. There will be prizes.

I have never been there but given the size of the place I would only carry what you know you can carry for a extended time frame

Couple of things I consider necessary:

1. Water and Food - Weather can get pretty warm and it seems to be quite humid as a lot of the field is pretty low. I actually wear a 5 pod pack and put a water bottle in one of the sleeves. My brother in law has a camel pack that he wears. I've seen more than one player go down from dehydration/overheating. I would also recommend possibly Gatorade or other rehydration aids. Don't forget to eat. Long walks and running on an empty stomach is no fun. Nothing will drain you faster than exerting the crap out of yourself with zero fuel for your body. I even go so far as to pack a couple of granola bars in my pockets to eat while waiting for reinsertion. You'll see lots of envy in peoples eyes as you're eating and drinking while they're hot hungry and thirsty.

2. Learn when to say when - Take breaks. If you are older and/or out of shape take more breaks. Find some shade and recharge. I've been to fields that take mandatory breaks in the action for an hour or two and would love to see this instituted at this field, but probably not going to happen. I'm guilty of this often myself. So much so that I rarely play much on Sunday because I am freaking exhausted from Saturday.

3. Proper clothing - Personally I chafe like crazy in my nether regions. What works for me is a pair of compression shorts with wicking qualities to get the moisture out of there. Nothing sucks worse than getting sidelined the next day because your arse cheeks are fire from crotch rot. Gold Bond helps as well. Wicking shirts also help. There is lots of brush, rock and crap all over the place so I usually suggest long sleeve jerseys/shirts and knee pads or pants with knee pads built in. There is LOTS of crouching and crawling in some areas so be prepared. Wear good shoes. I personally waffle between hiking boots and tactical boots. Cleats are probably fine, but understand that a fair amount of play from my understanding this year will be centered around the town and the streets are paved and probably going to be a little slick. I've seen numerous people go down in the town. Usually from running across a bunch of paint that got dropped or what. I'm surprised more people aren't hurt.

4. Carry only what you need - It is a pretty large field and most times the insertion point is a good 1/8 - 1/4 mile from the action. Be prepared to walk... A LOT! These walks will become horrific if you're carrying around an extra 10-15 pounds of equipment beyond what you need. They used to have a bus that transported people back to the staging area, which again is about 1/4 mile from the insertion points, but not sure if they have had it the past few years. This gets back to the reasons for 1&2.

5. Avoid over partying - I know this is probably an unpopular stance, but I would try to avoid drinking or partying as much as possible if you truly plan on playing the next day. IMO, nothing sucks worse than getting leg cramps and throwing up the next day in 95* temps because you're sweating out Bud Light. If you're like most people, this is a fairly big expense and you want to enjoy the experience. Of course if you just came to party, rock on and ignore this one. Personally I go to play paintball, all the other stuff is secondary. If you do drink, make sure to match drink for drink a glass of water to flush out the alcohol.

i do drink alot of water they gonna let me drink on the field or you mean to save it when im waiting? i have a pack and really dont like it its a four on vertical. i dont know what to get i kinda like the tac vest but dont need all the pockets.... just sleeves for paint lol. how about locking up my stuff will there be lockers or what. maybe i will bring a couple army lock boxes just in case. not to for sure how much paint to get.... i never ran Rt with SHP and lots of meat on the field lol

i looked on the cpx site but will you need a waiver or something signed if you r under 18 to play?

Youre under 18?

A good practice for legends.... go out and play at a local place. Carry 6 pods of paint with you, a camel pak, and your gun. Do not put anything down in between games. Carry your gun and mask with you at all times. Keep this up for around 8 hours.

this will be my first game ever with more than 50 people. I plan on using my 6 x 1 harness and carry water in the spot for the air tank and probably a couple of grainola bars as well. I would think if you don't raise your mask up and are not in a firefight you should be able to sip some water without the refs giving you flak.

My rule of thumb is to have the amount of paint on me that I have air. Or real close to it. No more no less. Don't want any Added weight that I don't need. That way off field time is fully productive. A cheap water blader for quick water. I normally have 1gl on me in the morning. And refill at noon break. You will need it. And I keep a few granola energy bars on me for in game play. Other than that. I run as light as I can. But I supply up to make it all morning. Then resupply for all afternoon. I stay on field. And rest on field. Figure a warm body is better than no body.
    http://www.ansgear.com/BT_Static_Pai...staticvest.htm. This is the vest I use. It was cheap. And decently made. Quite comfortable. And you blhave full mobility. My water bladder is from Walmart. And actually I hit the elliptical hard for at least a month prior to a big game. I'm in decent shape year round. But these games will kick your endurance in the butt. And kick it hard. Especially if your an up front aggressive player. And for the shape I'm in when I play big games. The weight I carry kicks my butt and I hurt bad come Monday. So I stress go as light as you can depending on your phisical shape. Carry less on fields and go back to restock a time or 2 in the morning and afternoon.

I found with a 4500 68ci tank having 5 160 ball dye pods and my halo hopper works perfect with my old classic RT. Ran out of paint right before air. Push come to shove. Borrow a pod. Or be a distraction with dry firing for that couple of minutes your out but still on field.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    And actually I hit the elliptical hard for at least a month prior to a big game.
    whats hard? i need something i can do here at the house but i dont have equipment. with it being freezing cold i dont go out unless its work lol

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    Youre under 18?
    me no lol my bro he is 17

Mind you im 31. 5" 10". 160lb. I work 40-80 hours at work a week. Work at a skating rink on the side. And work on / dragrace motorcycles.

Here is the preset workout I start with. But I generally up resistance and %ramp. Also I don't follow there rpm base well. I normally hold a lot higher rpm. 90 is the max rpm I can phisically run on this machine for a short distance at light climb and resistance and 30rpm is a brisk walk. if that helps you scale my consistent speed of 65-75 rpm with my overall max running speed and brisk walking speed.

So here is what i cram in. 30 minutes to an hour daily. No less than 65 revolutions per minute. With varying degrees of slope and tension. On the elliptical at home the tension doesn't ever go below 6 (out of 15). And the climb is never below 25 out of 35. And if you have never spent any time on an elliptical you don't have a clue how good a endurance workout you can get.

I think this year for the month leading up I'm gonna start doing it with a loaded pack to add the weight in I will be carrying. (Clarification.). Month leading up to any big game I play. LL will be missed. The overall expense is keeping me away from that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 01-26-2014 at 07:26 PM.

I'm actually hoping to be in better shape this year if I make it. Joined the Y and been taking some classes and swimming laps one day a week. Once I get in a little better shape I hope to increase this a bit.

i tried zumba, wasnt bad not enough people it got canceled

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    i tried zumba, wasnt bad not enough people it got canceled
    They are running whats called "body combat" at the local Y. Im one of maybe 2-3 guys, so the scenery is actually nice and keeps my mind off of things. Its basically a lot of kicking, punching and lunging to music. 55 minute class and it kicks my butt. Felt like a bit of a wuss until we had a substitute instructor who looked to be in really good shape and he was super winded about half way through. Made me feel better. Swimming is actually really good exercise as well. Works a lot of muscles that you may not be used to working and is great cardio. I find it more enjoyable than riding a bike or walking in place. Gets the ticker humming pretty good.

Opbn. That sounds exactly like the videos my wife bought to use at home. So that would be a cheaper option. Not as much sceenery that way though.

Opbn. That sounds exactly like the videos my wife bought to use at home. So that would be a cheaper option. Not as much sceenery that way though.
    With a membership the class is only $15 per session. Plus it's easier to be motivated with someone leading the class.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    With a membership the class is only $15 per session. Plus it's easier to be motivated with someone leading the class.
    For you true. For RT lover. Since his classes were canceled. And he was asking for something he can do from home. That is a real option.

i looked on the cpx site but will you need a waiver or something signed if you r under 18 to play?
    Here's the underage waiver for CPX. I don't think there's a special one for LL. I'll get in touch with Sean and let you know.

My rule of thumb is to have the amount of paint on me that I have air. Or real close to it. No more no less.
    This is really key. There's no need to carry 1200 rounds of paint if you're only going to get 800 on your tank of air. And there's no need to carry two air tanks if you're not going to carry a case of paint. Set your paint and air to run out at very close to the same time, and you can save yourself a lot of weight and reload both at the same time.

also, at legends, if you yell "out of paint" full pods seem to anonomously find you on the field

its truly amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    This is really key. There's no need to carry 1200 rounds of paint if you're only going to get 800 on your tank of air. And there's no need to carry two air tanks if you're not going to carry a case of paint. Set your paint and air to run out at very close to the same time, and you can save yourself a lot of weight and reload both at the same time.
    I definitely agree with this. I bring about 30 pods. I prefill them and put them in a cooler. I only carry five pods on the field at a time and use a 90-45 with SHP reg. This gets me through all five pods without getting too low, in the rare case that I don't get shot before running out of paint. Prefilling the pods lets me spend as little time in staging as possible. I can just swap out the pods and go. Last year, Valken was selling pods for $1 each, so I stocked up.

For you true. For RT lover. Since his classes were canceled. And he was asking for something he can do from home. That is a real option.
    yea i work weird hours 8 am till im done so i cant commit to anything really

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    Here's the underage waiver for CPX. I don't think there's a special one for LL. I'll get in touch with Sean and let you know.
    great lmk asap please!!!

i have a ninja 45/45 how much you think i can get through that? it is so damn light its unreal i could carry two tanks lol. you think that will be good enough a 45/45? they should fill it to the top and not short me like the dive shop. what i really need is links to packs that i need to look at that will work for us. i kinda like the vest and we will need to carry water and some snack bars lol

I posted a vest link above. If you want the full front instead of the strap front they have that for about 10 dollars more. The water bladder actually fits in a pouch on the back. 1gl of water. Then a few hand fulls of ice and it will stay cool half the day in 100° heat.

As far as paint to air consumption. I can squeek 1200 rounds out of my 68 45 tank. Since that is a max number I Cary short of that in paint. If for some reason I run out and still have enough air to do anything I borrow a pod or handful and that gets me through just fine.

great lmk asap please!!!
    I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from Sean.

i have a ninja 45/45 how much you think i can get through that? it is so damn light its unreal i could carry two tanks lol. you think that will be good enough a 45/45? they should fill it to the top and not short me like the dive shop. what i really need is links to packs that i need to look at that will work for us. i kinda like the vest and we will need to carry water and some snack bars lol
    They will have self-fill stations near the insertion points. It really depends on how well the compressors are keeping up. Last year, they kept up fairly well. I think the lowest-pressure fill I got was about 3.5k. That was during a busy point in the day.
    How many pods you'll get out of it will be the same as how many you get out of it during normal play. I'm guessing you will probably get about a full loader, plus 3 pods out of it. I get a full loader plus 4 pods out of my 68/45.

I have 2 vests I can loan out

Vest options.
    http://www.ansgear.com/BT_Static_Pai...ercvesttan.htm

Accessories I use.
    Radio pouch http://www.ansgear.com/BT_Radio_Pouc...radiopouch.htm

I use 1. 2 + 3pod pouchhttp://www.ansgear.com/BT_2_3_Pod_Pouch_Paintball_Harness_Woodland_Digi_p/bt23pouch.htm

I use 2 of these. One on each hip. http://www.ansgear.com/BT_Multi_Pouc...multipouch.htm
    Use 1of these. http://www.ansgear.com/BT_3_4_Pod_Po.../bt34pouch.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    I definitely agree with this. I bring about 30 pods. I prefill them and put them in a cooler.
    The staging area is secure enough to leave a cooler full of paint?

currently they have not published the location of staging area, the closer it is to camping and parking I would assume the less secure it will get
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

I haven't had a problem the last two years I did this. Two years ago, I left it in the TechPB tent. Last year, the place we setup our camp was close enough to the field, that I just staged out of our camp. It was nice to grab a quick snack while swapping pods, so I'll probably do it this way again this year. I would say that 99% of the players at this event are respectful of others' property. There is always that one douchebag who wants to ruin it for everyone else, though. I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Yea. Even though youre surrounded by 2000 people. They seem trustworthy.

True. I didn't read your post that way. Doing any of these types of things from home is a great option. Never tried it, but the P90X or whatever is supposed to put a whooping on you.