Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radios

each team has 4 legions. every hour 2 legions are chosen to do battle to see who is better to win points for their team

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    each team has 4 legions. every hour 2 legions are chosen to do battle to see who is better to win points for their team

are factions called randomly or is there a set schedule?
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by StygShore View Post
    are factions called randomly or is there a set schedule?
    set schedule
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

Radios. FIRST, you need to know exactly what Command is using. Are they using UHF? VHF? Proprietary encryption? Once you know, you can be instructed on what radio to get in order to talk with Command. Anything involving encryption or VHF will end up being a special radio.

Then, I would suggest anything that uses the mainstream UHF (read: FRS/GMRS) channels for the squad as a whole. Everyone can get their own radio, whether it be Motorola, Midland, Puxing, whatever. We'll have to be assigned a channel/lockout code to cut down on the chatter, so that we can functionally communicate with one another. See, our squad may be set at channel 3-7. Channel 3, lockout code 7. Anyone running on channel 3 without a lockout code will be able to hear everything broadcast on channel 3; but the lockout code filters the reception of all that chatter to just those people using that specific code. In other words, if someone wants to hear our comms, they likely can. But they're going to hear EVERYTHING on channel 3 at once if they do that, unless they get our lockout code.

Now, technically, when using the GMRS channels (and/or using a radio such as a high-wattage Puxing), the radio transmits at ~ 4 to 5 watts to increase range. This requires a FCC license. It is LARGELY unenforced, however. Using the FRS channels at normal power (roughly 1 watt) is free and legal. There's talk about nixing the license requirement for GMRS channels since so many people ignore the licensing requirements and the abused GMRS channels are built into nearly all FRS/GMRS radios now anyway, but I haven't seen that actually happen yet.

And, as for activation, PTT is a must. No voice activation.

What we did at D-Day for comms, is to have one guy dedicated to comms and carry two radios while in the field. Must be a back player obviously, as getting your comms guy shot sucks. When needed, comms brought the radios to the squad leaders and relayed messages.

Orrrrrr
    We could skip all that technical stuff and just run our own missions!

Except, at a big game, when you get shot out and go to the deadbox, you'll likely get split off from the group. The bulk of radio communications at a game like LL is to regroup after a deadbox flush. If you don't want to run with radios, expect to have your group scattered after the first couple rounds/flushes.

A radio is a purchase on my "to buy list" anyone have a recommendation for a model?

bump

so whats a good radio, i want something for me and my pack of guys and dont mind taking a lead spot to help coordinate if needed. im just wanting something to talk with my pack because if i cant hear the on the speedball field 6x6 lol i need something!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midl...idland&Ntk=All

this mic set up work on all radios for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    bump

so whats a good radio, i want something for me and my pack of guys and dont mind taking a lead spot to help coordinate if needed. im just wanting something to talk with my pack because if i cant hear the on the speedball field 6x6 lol i need something!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midl...idland&Ntk=All

this mic set up work on all radios for the most part?
    Bad link. But I'm guessing it was supposed to be this one. That will work with Midland radios and I'm not sure which others. Different brands have different plugs and in Motorola's case, different models have different plugs.

From previous posts, it looks like we will probably be using a GMRS channel. So, any radio that supports GMRS will do just fine. I have a pair of Motorola TalkAbouts with which I am actually not very happy. I still need to test them out some more. I think I may have been trying to use them on an FRS channel instead of GMRS the last time I tried to use them. Needless to say, not being able to hear my guys less than 100 yards away was very frustrating. So, I can't really give you any recommendations on specific radios. But, if someone else does, I might be buying a new radio or set of radios.

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    Bad link. But I'm guessing it was supposed to be this one. That will work with Midland radios and I'm not sure which others. Different brands have different plugs and in Motorola's case, different models have different plugs.

From previous posts, it looks like we will probably be using a GMRS channel. So, any radio that supports GMRS will do just fine. I have a pair of Motorola TalkAbouts with which I am actually not very happy. I still need to test them out some more. I think I may have been trying to use them on an FRS channel instead of GMRS the last time I tried to use them. Needless to say, not being able to hear my guys less than 100 yards away was very frustrating. So, I can't really give you any recommendations on specific radios. But, if someone else does, I might be buying a new radio or set of radios.
    is a head set a must? whats a FRS Radio ? great range is a must

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    is a head set a must? whats a FRS Radio ? great range is a must
    I would encourage the use of a headset, but it is by no means a must. It just keeps you a little more stealthy so everyone and their mothers don't hear your radio. FRS stands for Family Radio Service. Here is all the info you might want to know about it.

I keep my radio on a lanyard around my neck. pull it out of my jersey when i need to yell obscenities to my guys. I dont do stealth. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    I keep my radio on a lanyard around my neck. pull it out of my jersey when i need to yell obscenities to my guys. I dont do stealth. Works for me.
    Lol, so I sill b able the hear without a ear piece.......good!