Thread: question for you machinists

question for you machinists

how much to take an SP AA barrel remove the front end and bore, polish and thread the inside for a freak insert and tip? with the price of twist lock freak backs and the lack of conversion kits for tw to cocker i would gladly convert some of my sp barrels if the price is decent. wouldn't need any kind of view slots or holes to see what size insert is in it either.

Look on mcb, several guys offering this service.

One machinist i spoke to said he would consider doing it for about $60.

Go to MCB and contact TyMcneer

Just to be clear you're talking about cutting the barrel in half essentially, boring the "back" and threading both pieces right?

don't care about threading whats left of the front, freak tips are plentiful its the backs that are scarce/expensive.

Backs are not to bad. I paid 80 which was a premium for my al back because it was brand new in a sealed package. They can be acquired like new for around 65 fairly easy. Just post up wanted.

While they are getting harder to find, don't base your idea of what they are going for on the two or so listed on Ebay. I have had a number of them pass through my hands and never actually paid more than $40-45 for one.

you could start with any barrel with lots of meat on it instead of an AA
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

You mean like the one seen here?

I paid around $30, if I remember correctly, and it was done by a member here but he was also milling the body and rail of that marker.

This is his contact info:
    Member name: warpedmephisto

Andy Grueninger
    agrueni@charter.net

Andy did 3 jobs for me and they were all absolutely flawless. I'm not sure if he is still doing this, though but it would be worth trying anyway.

EDIT: By the way, as you can see, this is a regular center-feed Freak back. I'm using an older AA splash front and that's what he did at the time.

Last edited by mpsd; 11-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.