Thread: Aluminum based epoxy question?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aluminum based epoxy question?

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

Anyone have any idea of whether or not this stuff would be a good idea to fill holes in a frame before anno?

The reason I ask, is I am working on a Hill style egomag and the frame I have (ego 06) is going to require the relocation of both the front and the back screw. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was wanting to find a way to fill the unused holes before getting them anno'd at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

Anyone have any idea of whether or not this stuff would be a good idea to fill holes in a frame before anno?

The reason I ask, is I am working on a Hill style egomag and the frame I have (ego 06) is going to require the relocation of both the front and the back screw. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was wanting to find a way to fill the unused holes before getting them anno'd at some point.
    I don't think those can be anodized. Nor do I know how they would react with the acids.

Pretty sure it cannot. I used Lab Metal even and was told it could not be used and even powdercoaters did not like it as it can cure at a different rate and turn out crappy. I think the only solution is welding but that can even cause inconsistencies in finish.

MOTY3
    ^^^QFT I have used Aluminum stick rods to weld up holes in an Aluminum frame and these areas came out a lighter shade of Black when anodized.

Thanks guys...

I was thinking of having one of the welders I work with use the stick approach, bead blast the frame, and then just have it anodized clear by one of our subcontractors. It's an inexpensive frame (20 bucks) so I don't have a problem experimenting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    Thanks guys...

I was thinking of having one of the welders I work with use the stick approach, bead blast the frame, and then just have it anodized clear by one of our subcontractors. It's an inexpensive frame (20 bucks) so I don't have a problem experimenting with it.
    I know if you have it welded, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Might look into that. Or maybe hydro graphics? Get it done in a CF pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know if you have it welded, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Might look into that. Or maybe hydro graphics? Get it done in a CF pattern?
    Good call.

I'm not too keen on the hydrographics. A couple of my friends did it and it looked okay, I just like the anno/powdercoat better.