Thread: Aluminum based epoxy question?

Aluminum based epoxy question?

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

Anyone have any idea of whether or not this stuff would be a good idea to fill holes in a frame before anno?

The reason I ask, is I am working on a Hill style egomag and the frame I have (ego 06) is going to require the relocation of both the front and the back screw. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was wanting to find a way to fill the unused holes before getting them anno'd at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

Anyone have any idea of whether or not this stuff would be a good idea to fill holes in a frame before anno?

The reason I ask, is I am working on a Hill style egomag and the frame I have (ego 06) is going to require the relocation of both the front and the back screw. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was wanting to find a way to fill the unused holes before getting them anno'd at some point.
    I don't think those can be anodized. Nor do I know how they would react with the acids.

Pretty sure it cannot. I used Lab Metal even and was told it could not be used and even powdercoaters did not like it as it can cure at a different rate and turn out crappy. I think the only solution is welding but that can even cause inconsistencies in finish.

MOTY3
    ^^^QFT I have used Aluminum stick rods to weld up holes in an Aluminum frame and these areas came out a lighter shade of Black when anodized.

Thanks guys...

I was thinking of having one of the welders I work with use the stick approach, bead blast the frame, and then just have it anodized clear by one of our subcontractors. It's an inexpensive frame (20 bucks) so I don't have a problem experimenting with it.

Thanks guys...

I was thinking of having one of the welders I work with use the stick approach, bead blast the frame, and then just have it anodized clear by one of our subcontractors. It's an inexpensive frame (20 bucks) so I don't have a problem experimenting with it.
    I know if you have it welded, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Might look into that. Or maybe hydro graphics? Get it done in a CF pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know if you have it welded, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Might look into that. Or maybe hydro graphics? Get it done in a CF pattern?
    Good call.

I'm not too keen on the hydrographics. A couple of my friends did it and it looked okay, I just like the anno/powdercoat better.

You can have it welded, but if you want to annodize, you need to ensure that the welding rods are the same grade of aluminum as the piece being welded.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    You can have it welded, but if you want to annodize, you need to ensure that the welding rods are the same grade of aluminum as the piece being welded.
    I'm going to venture out on a limb and guess that finding the grade of the rod will be a bit easier than the frame. I did a basic search for the grade of aluminum on an 06 Ego frame but didn't find any specs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the aluminum rod method I see that all that's required is a rod and a torch...sounds like a diy project unless I am missing something.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and guess that finding the grade of the rod will be a bit easier than the frame. I did a basic search for the grade of aluminum on an 06 Ego frame but didn't find any specs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the aluminum rod method I see that all that's required is a rod and a torch...sounds like a diy project unless I am missing something.
    Unless you're really good at welding I'd leave it to some one with experience of it (or professional). Aluminium is PITA to weld unless you have TIG and experience on welding aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Unless you're really good at welding I'd leave it to some one with experience of it (or professional). Aluminium is PITA to weld unless you have TIG and experience on welding aluminium.
    That sounds like sage advice...thanks mang!

Reading the above sparked a memory of something a member here did once. They had a Dallara IIRC body that had been drilled for eyes. They were able to get rod of the same grade and basically make a plug that was press fit in. I saw the end results and they were pretty good. I think its been done on some drilled cockers as well. Considering the holes are on the underside, no one is really every going to see them unless they are REALLY close. For the rear hole, have you considered shortening the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Reading the above sparked a memory of something a member here did once. They had a Dallara IIRC body that had been drilled for eyes. They were able to get rod of the same grade and basically make a plug that was press fit in. I saw the end results and they were pretty good. I think its been done on some drilled cockers as well. Considering the holes are on the underside, no one is really every going to see them unless they are REALLY close. For the rear hole, have you considered shortening the frame?
    I'd thought about shortening it, yes, but the 06 frame has snatch grooves milled into the extended rear of the frame and I want to keep that function.