Thread: Would this work?

Would this work?

So I was drunk and bored the other night and tinkering around with a homemade nerf launcher that I made some time back. Its pretty rudimentary, runs on 12ies and small enough that I can actually holster it or put a strap on it and toss it across my back. Major downfall has always been that it fired by actuating a hand turned ball valve. Works well for what it is. I've contemplated modding it with some sort of electronic valve/handle, etc. Then I got to thinking....

What if you took an old TL barrel, cut it off close to the body, threaded it and attached some sort of plumbing connections so that you can screw on a correct size of PVC pipe onto the end? To eliminate losing the air out of the feedtube, just turn the barrel the other way to block off the feedneck. Has anyone ever tried this? I have several old barrels that I could pretty easily thread to 3/4" or whatever and know the plumbing fittings exist. Any idea why it wouldn't work? Figuring I should be able to just turn the velocity up or down as needed.

Thoughts? I can rough out a layout of what I'm talking about if necessary.

So basically dry-fire an Automag to launch the breech-loaded nerf rocket, with all the magic happening in a modded twistlock barrel.

Sounds genius, honestly. As long as it chronos safe.

Edit: Upon further thought, I think the problem will be getting it up to speed, since when I use a 48/3k on my homemade PVC rocket launcher (with large, low-pressure dump chamber) we normally get about 8 to 10 shots.

That's kind of what I was wondering. The one I have runs off unregulated 12g and is single shot. I wasn't sure if it could be turned up enough to launch it or not. I might do some screwing around with an old barrel to see what I can get.

Getting it up to speed was my only concern as well. But hey. If you have the old barrels laying around. Give it a go.

Maybe ghetto rig something that is all home made out of PVC for test purposes.

I'm not advocating doing this, but wonder what would happen hypothetically if I ran an unregulated capped valve doing this? Would throwing 850psi across the on/off make it fail? Or better, use an adjustable hyperflow? Hmmm.

MOTY3
    If you were using a classic valve I would run a 7 or 12 oz. co2 bottle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner333 View Post
    If you were using a classic valve I would run a 7 or 12 oz. co2 bottle ?
    Yeah, that's what I would probably start with. Got a crap ton of them sitting around gathering dust. Might have to make a quick trip up to the hardware store and see if I can find a 1" pipe threader.