Thread: Double Tapping a Classic Valve?

Double Tapping a Classic Valve?

Is there any reason why a Classic Valve couldn't be drilled and tapped so that is could be used as either a left or right input?

No reason not to, other than the stainless being a little stubborn.

But who provides this service?

I've always wondered why this was never offered by AGD. Seems too simple to address with an allen cap

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    But who provides this service?
    I have some ideas.

I have to say after playing all this time with the fitting on the right side and recently getting a reverse RT valve, I much prefer having it on the left for some reason...having the option of either seems like a worthwhile innovation.

go for it. remember, minimags had the option of hopper left and hopper right, so that you had the inlet on the left and right sides. go to a machine shop, explain what you want to do(have the valve with you) and see how much they would charge you. having the valve, will show them that they would be dealing with stainless. then you can put a gauge on the reverse side, or plug it like an ASA.

I have a classic that is double tapped.

Opbn. Not Luke.

But if there are actual reverse rt valves out there is much rather trade for one of them then I had double tap mine.

Here's the problem as I see it>>

Is the classic the same?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

Is the classic the same?
    Nope.

Opbn. Not Luke.

But if there are actual reverse rt valves out there is much rather trade for one of them then I had double tap mine.
    RT valves have the input through the rail. i thought the thread was about classic valves?

AutomagRT or "classic RT" have the air in the rail. I use one every time I play. RTs as far as basically every post on the forum have a fitting in the side of the valve. A lot like 68automag valves. My wife uses a pieced together RTPro with a minimag body on it. I would love to have a reverse RT valve for it.

Also you are correct. The OP was about a 68automag classic valve. I really didn't think Luke messed with tapping them either. But honestly I'm not sure. He showed concern with messing with my RTPro valve. And since it wasn't that big of a deal. I've left it alone for now.

AutomagRT or "classic RT" have the air in the rail. I use one every time I play. RTs as far as basically every post on the forum have a fitting in the side of the valve. A lot like 68automag valves. My wife uses a pieced together RTPro with a minimag body on it. I would love to have a reverse RT valve for it.

Also you are correct. The OP was about a 68automag classic valve. I really didn't think Luke messed with tapping them either. But honestly I'm not sure. He showed concern with messing with my RTPro valve. And since it wasn't that big of a deal. I've left it alone for now.
    He and I are talking.... lol. Basically the issue with the Retro/RTPro/X Valves is the vent hole. Classic/AIR/MiniMag valves don't have this issue. Still tossing it around.

This is going on a capped valve pump with something special going on. Finally got the pump rod fabricated today so been running around the house going "pew pew pew" to see whether I need to have the plumbing on the left side or not.

In your case. Why not buy a reverse minimag valve? Or are you wanting to use both ports?

In your case. Why not buy a reverse minimag valve? Or are you wanting to use both ports?
    Not too common and I already have a valve. Will probably depend on what the cost is.

I have a classic valve that is double tapped. got it on trade, don't know who did the work but it was done very clean. have not aired it up, cuz no air and need to hydro my tanks. but I don't see a problem with it not working.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Not too common and I already have a valve. Will probably depend on what the cost is.
    Post a wanted. Trade or trade and a little cash. I got rid of one a couple months ago. But yah. When the time comes you do what ya got to do.

Post a wanted. Trade or trade and a little cash. I got rid of one a couple months ago. But yah. When the time comes you do what ya got to do.
    Valve isn't worth trading. Came with a milled back that I sold already. Essentially I have zero into this valve, so even if it's $20-25 it will be cheaper than finding and buying a reverse.

I did this just to see if it could be done. I drilled and tapped a classic valve once and had no functioning problems. the Stainless was a bear to tap but either a cap or gauge worked on either side. I even aired it from both sides at once for fun, double ported vasa and macro up both sides. No change in re-charge time just did it for fun and to weird out people at the field. Sold it later but I don't remember to whom. If you try this use a good new tap and gallons of oil cause if you break that tap off its a bear to get out and that stainless is hard.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Tooling is not cheap to do these, it will run right about $100 get set up.