Thread: Leaking down the barrel--help to diagnose cause

Leaking down the barrel--help to diagnose cause

What info is needed to help diagnose a leak down the barrel?

X-Valve, Level 10, RT on/off

Tuned it a few weeks ago and replaced the on/off pin with a new .750 (RT pin). No leaks. 1500-2000 rounds through it since then, but after taking it out yesterday, it developed a small leak down the barrel. Assumed that this was the o-ring on the spacer in the L10 breaking in, so moved to bigger carrier. When I aired up, would not actuate (not sure the right terms, but the gun would not cock, and turning on and off the ASA was having no effect on cocking the gun). Disassembled, when to next largest spacer I had. Developed a massive leak. Went back to the original spacer + shim, assuming a small leak was better than a dead gun. Massive leak remained.

I assume that this is user error (have I forgotten something important?), but now I am stumped.

Other things that may be of interest: When I removed the valve assembly the second time, after the initial firing problem, the on/off pin was protruding a few mm and I had to take off the frame to disassemble. I removed the on/off assembly (its the RT assembly, I think, and 15 years old, but all the o-rings in it have been replaced within the past 12 months). I pushed in the pin, and then removed the assembly. The pin stuck to the two orings at the interior of the where the on/off fits into the valve. I removed the pin and replaced it in the assembly.

The bolt fits onto the power tube without falling off when vertical and I didn't progress to a spacer where it did fall off with gravity.

I do not remember the specific markings on the spacers I have, but can provide that information later if it is the critical piece. The spacer o-ring has the 1500 to 2000 rounds on it.

I have a ninja outputting 800-850 psi, , but when I chrono I do see velocity +/- 20 fps, and have it set so that it sees a max of 285-290 (field rules). There is an fps drop off after a few quick shots. i don't know if this impacts any of the other issues (obviously with the firing and leak issues this fps thing is observed prior).

Thanks for any advice on diagnosing the leak!

In the power tube, I had the spacer with no dot, one line. Whichever size that is...

Pro tip: reversing the carrier when performing quick fix in the field causes a massive leak. Yep, learned by experience.