Thread: RT Classic Banjo Bolt.

RT Classic Banjo Bolt.

Picked up a RT Classic, replaced all the O-rings. Shoots like a champ but leaks between the body and the valve. Is there a trick to screwing in the banjo bolt so it wont leak? Or should I keep replacing O-rings until it decides I've been punished enough?

Thanks in advance.

SZ
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    This is AO, find/make/mod an alternative .

Leak between body and valve? FIRST. This may sound dumb. BUT are you sure its a banjo is the leak? Leaks in that area can be a lot of things and all sound like the banjo. That's the only reason I ask. Could be the tiny Oring in the on off. Could be the vent port in the rt valve.

Is the rail un damaged at the banjo hole? Is the trigger frame OEM banjo or did someone drill it out? Check that for burrs also that could be wounding the banjo Orings .

I always just dab oil on my banjo Orings and thread her in by hand. Never had an issue.

I'm not going to promise you anything.... but my thought/idea is this. I had a friend who had the same issue. Each time it would cut the Orings. I would take file and bevel the edges of the body/rail/frame hole. Mainly the top of the frame hole, both top and bottom of the rail hole, and the hole in the body. Just enough to take the edge off of it. It SHOULD help. I'm not a guru with these but I do have 2 of them. Just never use em or have aired them up. So I cna't promise you anything, but it's gotta be worth a shot.

Let us know if it works.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Leak between body and valve? FIRST. This may sound dumb. BUT are you sure its a banjo is the leak? Leaks in that area can be a lot of things and all sound like the banjo. That's the only reason I ask. Could be the tiny Oring in the on off. Could be the vent port in the rt valve.
    Dumb question time. Is the vent port the tiny hole on the side of the valve? (this is my first classic RT) I believe it's the middle banjo o-ring that's leaking. I aired up, placed the back half of the marker in a pot of water, and the bubbles appeared to be coming from between the body and the valve. Then I bumped the trigger against the sink, no trigger guard, and it sucked in a bunch of water. DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Is the rail un damaged at the banjo hole? Is the trigger frame OEM banjo or did someone drill it out? Check that for burrs also that could be wounding the banjo Orings .

I always just dab oil on my banjo Orings and thread her in by hand. Never had an issue.
    No burrs, no rough edges, OEM frame. I must be me. Unfortunately, the reg. body O-ring crumbled when I pulled the valve a part (the only O-ring I don't have) so I'll have to wait until the replacement comes in to do any more on this.

Thank you for the help.

SZ

yes the vent is the tiny hole on the left side of the valve. you might try backing the velocity off and see if it still leaks.

Air comes out in that area when the on off Oring is bad and banjo oring and vent hole. Since the whole valve is in side the body it masks where the real leak is pretty good. Almost wonder if the body Oring was leaking since you said it crumbled.

Also. Since you say this is your first classic rt. Did you actually have a parts kit for a classic rt? I didn't think the other rt valve kits came with banjo Orings? So that brings up another question. When you replaced the Orings did you put the proper Orings on the banjo bolt? Or just 3 that looked close?

I had an almost complete RT parts kit. It's very possible that I have a wrong O-ring on the banjo. I'll double check.

thanks again.

SZ

I know there are other Orings in a classicRT parts kit that are almost identicle to the banjo Orings . But they are a hair smaller. I have to catch myself every time I rebuild mine. So yes. Good chance you stuck one of the others in there not knowing any better since you've never dealt with a classic automagRT.

The way I assemble all my Classic RT is to leave the front frame/body screw lose. Install the valve and banjo. Which allows the valve rail & banjo to align. Once those are tighten I then tighten the front frame screw. Doing this I have never even nicked a banjo oring.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

I collected a few banjo bolt tips in this thread, near the bottom. I think that was when AO was struggling into its new server.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...-big-pics.html

The o-rings are 90 duro urethane (hard). I never looked to see if there was a slightly oversized metric o-ring that would help.

I eventually sleeved the bolt hole on the rail in that thread. Tuna has (had) some improved RT rails for chronic leakers. Make sure the body doesn't bite on the o-rings going in or out, and try using some shims or o-ring to adjust the fit of the middle o-ring. Those are the easy things.
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 03-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.