Thread: At what pressure should I buy a low pressure tank reg?

At what pressure should I buy a low pressure tank reg?

I plan on having one of my tanks hydro'd and have a regulator installed by Ninja Paintball. I already have two high pressure tanks/regs for my Mags. I want a low pressure tank to run my Tribals and Angels. I know the Tribals run on 150 psi coming out of the LPR, and the Angels run on 60 psi (for 05 Speed's) and 100 psi (for LCD's) coming out of the LPR. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but if I make the output pressure of the tank reg too low, the HPR's on the Tribals and Angels will regulate that pressure down even further, so by the time it gets to the LPR, it will be so low it may be unusable...? Or, would I be able to order a reg with a 300 psi output, and make adjustments at the HPR? Any advice?

Nevermind the LPR on the gun when considering a tank reg. Doesnt really matter. The only important thing is that you're not over working the HPR. So say the output pressure on said gun's HPR is set at 350 psi, good rule of thumb is to have a tank reg that is putting out atleast 100 psi more than that. But, you don't wanna go hooking up a SHP that is running 1200 psi either. That's just more work than you wanna make the hpr do. If you really want another reg, I would just get one of the middle range regs Ninja offers. I think you can get them adjusted anywhere from 450 to 850.

Sounds good, makes sense. Thanks for the input!

The recommended psi differential between regulators is 200psi if you want good consistent air flow. Most of the volume of any air flow is directed towards shooting the ball, and LPR air flow is not quite so critical because not much air is used. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about the input pressure to the LPR as long as the input pressure to the LPR is a bit higher than the LPR output pressure. So, if your Angel required 150psi chamber air to shoot a ball, then it would require 350spi at the input to its HPR which is 350psi output from the tank regulator. Anything more than that will give you even more air flow.

The only real problem with the HPR on Angels is that they don't have much range. If you are putting a high pressure tank regulator into it, you probably won't be able to adjust the velocity into a usable range. I changed the HPR on my 04 Angel speed to a Bob Long Torpedo. It had better adjustment range and allowed me to use all of my HP mag tanks on my Angel. Any good inline regulator will allow you the same full adjustment and may be an easier option than keeping another tank around just for your Angel. The same is probably true for the Tribal.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    Nevermind the LPR on the gun when considering a tank reg. Doesnt really matter. The only important thing is that you're not over working the HPR. So say the output pressure on said gun's HPR is set at 350 psi, good rule of thumb is to have a tank reg that is putting out atleast 100 psi more than that. But, you don't wanna go hooking up a SHP that is running 1200 psi either. That's just more work than you wanna make the LPR do. If you really want another reg, I would just get one of the middle range regs Ninja offers. I think you can get them adjusted anywhere from 450 to 850.
    I hope this is a relevant question on this thread in the context of your reply, but what about lprs running on direct SHP tank pressure for pneumag set ups? I thought Lprs as we use them in paintball were designed to be used secondary to Hprs, but I see pneumags that seem to have lprs running down stream straight from the tank regs.

I have no experience in this matter, but this topic and your reply brought this question to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ritual View Post
    I hope this is a relevant question on this thread in the context of your reply, but what about lprs running on direct SHP tank pressure for pneumag set ups? I thought Lprs as we use them in paintball were designed to be used secondary to Hprs, but I see pneumags that seem to have lprs running down stream straight from the tank regs.
    It completely depends on the LPR. A lot of them cannot handle the high pressure. The ones used in the pnuemag setups are selected because they can handle the higher pressure.

Ok, athomas - as I see it, there are a couple of ways to do it.

1) Get a tank set up with an output of @350, maybe 400 psi. I can use the stock Angel HPR to keep/reduce the input to the LPR at @ 160 psi, and the LPR will bring it down to the 150 psi that the chamber uses.

2) Get a tank set up with an output of @ 160 psi, and gut the stock HPR (or replace it with a gas-thru). Input to the LPR should be at @160, then brings it down to the 150 psi that the chamber uses.

3) Replace the stock HPR with a Bob Long Torpedo (or Palmer Stabilizer). Either one of those regs can handle the high output and knock it down to 350 psi.

Are all three of those options viable? Any holes in my theories?

1) If you are going with the low pressure tank, most are about 400 to 450psi which is fine. It will work on all low pressure guns. Even though the LPR doesn't need much air flow, you should still maintain some pressure differential from input to output. For a 150spi output, I would use at least 200psi input.

2) I wouldn't use a tank set to 160psi and rely on the dwell to adjust your velocity. Each gun is different and uses slightly different pressures to run at the desired velocity. Plus, you need two regulators to properly hold the chamber pressure to the preset value you need to be consistent. The tank regulator output will change a bit from a full tank to an empty tank. The second inline HP regulator will then maintain the chamber pressure at the set value because the input change to it is not near as great the one that the tank regulator experiences.

3) Either of those regulators will work. The pressure you want to knock it down to is the actual operating pressure that is needed to operate at its highest efficiency for your particular gun. For my Angel it was about 160psi. For your Angel it might be 200psi.