Thread: Retro valve velocity issue

Retro valve velocity issue

So I went to chrono my retro valved mag and the first shot would shoot way over 300fps and then drop down too 200-230fps(shooting about 1 or 2bps). Has the stock on/off and a level 10(no leaks) if that matters. Any help appreciated, thanks

Cyco-Dude Guest
    sounds like you need to check the reg seat o-ring. it may be bad or contaminated, and not allowing the regulator to regulate correctly. unscrew the reg body from the valve; the o-ring you're interested in is behind the brass seat, closest to the valve / on/off.

I'll start with checking that out, although I won't be able to chrono until next weekend, I'll post up if it was the problem or not. Thanks

Cyco-Dude Guest
    another symptom would be air venting out the back of the velocity adjustment nut. if that's not the problem, i'd move on to the regulator piston o-ring.

yup, the problem is in your regulator seals somewhere. i'd rebuild the whole thing. you are getting wicked regulator creep.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Give the valve a good cleaning and inspect the orings while you have them out. Chances are, you have a piece of dirt on one of the orings. It is most likely the regulator seat oring to cause that issue.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

So I went through all the orings and replaced pretty much all of them, I found the power tube bolt was a little loose so pulled out the carier orings and they looked good. Replaced the power tube bolt and aired the marker up and dry fired it a bit, don't have a chrono but it sounds like it's shooting more concistantly(first shot was noticeably louder before). Now I have a small leak out of the vent hole on the side of the valve. Any other ideas for the new issue? Thanks guys

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    So I went through all the orings and replaced pretty much all of them, I found the power tube bolt was a little loose so pulled out the carier orings and they looked good. Replaced the power tube bolt and aired the marker up and dry fired it a bit, don't have a chrono but it sounds like it's shooting more concistantly(first shot was noticeably louder before). Now I have a small leak out of the vent hole on the side of the valve. Any other ideas for the new issue? Thanks guys
    i would guess it's the o-rings on the regulator valve pin assembly. here's the rt exploded diagram for reference. unscrew the valve halves, and carefully pull the pin assembly out. you can use small pliers if you have to, but wrap the pin with rubber or something so you don't scratch it. you need to change those two o-rings. i bet they're crusty, hard and will fall apart when you try to take them off. you don't have to remove the metal retaining clip at the end; the new o-rings will stretch over it. use both hands to stretch the two sides over at once (no need to use any o-ring pick for putting the new o-rings on).

Exactly what you said, one oring was almost nonexistent and I used a dentil pic to remove the other and it crumbled...so everything good, new orings throughout, and it's safe for me to play with my retro valve now...thanks everyone for the help!

Those orings are really bad. I've had the same ones in my emag for 10 years and they are still good. Using the proper good quality synthetic oil is key to the orings lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    I think we can mark this one as "SOLVED"