Thread: valve question

valve question

i'm trying to make one working valve out of 2 different ones. what do you do when the 2 halves wont line up? classic valves by the way. the z loc pins are way out of place.

In my opinion, or what I've learned, the z pin doesn't matter much, as it is more about the internals lining up. I would check more of why they wouldn't line up as there shouldn't be anyyhing preventing it.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    picture? it should work just fine...

screwed together tight the z lock pin nor the oil holes are not lined up with the field strip screw hole like they are on all my other valves that have their original matching halves.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    ...they aren't supposed to be lined up with the field strip screw. line up the lines that are laser etched on the pieces; one line on the valve and the other on the regulator body.

Or line up the letters or anything else.

But if you're just going for one working valve, why not stick to one matching body and just fill it with the good internals you have from the 2?

one of them has been hacked. there is red permatex coming out from under the power tube and it has had a hole drilled in the front half which has been plugged(came to me this way in a marker). the second one has an ANS phase 2 back half. neither combination of back halves on the good front will line up for the field strip screw to go in unless i pull the z lock pin.

The early valves didn't have indexed threading. That meant only the original backs with matching serial numbers were 100% guaranteed to line up with the front half. Later valves had indexed threading so all threads were cut exactly the same, which allowed any back to be used on any front.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

PM'd

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    one of them has been hacked. there is red permatex coming out from under the power tube and it has had a hole drilled in the front half which has been plugged(came to me this way in a marker). the second one has an ANS phase 2 back half. neither combination of back halves on the good front will line up for the field strip screw to go in unless i pull the z lock pin.
    Those PT orings are a little hard to locate and loctite is a good idea on there once it is removed. You should be able to clean that up. Is the hole in the front half a 1/8 NPT hole with a pipe plug? If so, it may have been a "Smart Valve" that was cleaned up.

Anyone remember if the smart mags came out before AGD started indexing valves?

Black boxes might have. Smart mags don't have any extra holes on them, and at least mine came indexed.