Thread: classic valve question

classic valve question

aol and photobucket aren't talking tonight so i can't upload the pictures. i have a classic valve with a serial number in the 15,000's, its the one i mentioned in the other thread about trying to make one valve out of two, when i went to unscrew the power tube tip the hole tube unscrewed out of the end of the valve. the flange the tube is attached to is threaded and so is the inside of the valve. was this common on the early valves? what i thought was red permatex was a thin red o ring that had torn into which is probably why this valve was leaking. its also the one someone drilled and tapped for a 1/8 npt something into the chamber just below the threads for the tube assembly.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i think that's a lvl 6 or 5 valve? the newer lvl 7's had welded power tubes. or, perhaps it is a lvl 7 and someone cut the weld so they could unscrew the power tube

The 1/8 NPT tapped hole in the side of the valve is probably a Smart Parts valve that once had a magic box. Level 6 valves had the threaded powertubes that were not welded. They welded them on the level 7 versions. It could be a level 7 with the weld cut so that modifications could be made.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

so how do I seal the two pieces? a lot of thread sealer or is there a special o ring?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i believe it used an o-ring.

Yes, there is a special oring. You can get them from Tunaman here on automags.org.