Thread: Sk8ermog Project #4: SQUARE MAGS (DONE)

Cool Sk8ermog Project #4: SQUARE MAGS (DONE)

So call me crazy, but I love clean straight lines on paintball bodies. If fact I tend to collect guns that have very square lines. Here are some examples from my collection:

I really like how flat and straight all the lines are on those gun. I have always liked very "Square" guns so I've made it a point to pick up all the guns I've always wanted since I started playing back in 1995 that were square and had clean lines.

I wanted to take my love of "Square" guns and marry it with my love of Automags. So I set out to find the "Squarest" parts for mags and build myself a square mag. Well little did I know that this journey would take me down 2 very different paths...

The Tac2

Now I know she's not that pretty to look at right now, but I have great plans for this piece of metal. Basically it's a Tac Body that has been milled down to be very square and straight. The rail is a ULE RT rail that matches the body's lines very well. The emag battery case is in real bad condition cause the battery leaked and the acid burned it. I have a bid into a few places to get everything polished out and then I'm going to anodize it all a nice glossy black to let the lines really show cleanly. The trigger fame is going to be a surprise to both you and me. Stay tuned cause this little ugly duck is going to look great when all said and done.

The Micro2K2

This little gem was originally a mint vert Micromag 2k. I took a gamble and sent it out to be milled for both a clamping feedneck mod and to have the swirls milled off the sides. I've always wanted and loved these bodies, but hated the swirls on the side so I had them milled off. So far it looks pretty good, but the next part scares me the most. All older PTP Micromag bodies have "pressed" in steel rings which make them very difficult to get anodized. I'm working with an anodizer right now trying to find a way to get this body a nice glossy black. The forgrip was also milled down to be very square to match the body. I'm excited to see this one through. The trigger frame will be a surprise to just you cause I'm pretty sure I know how I want this one to look in the end, but stay tuned to see for yourself.

UPDATE 10/13/14

Just got back some parts from the Anodizer. Turns out they messed up a few parts and will being fixing them soon. For the time being here are some pictures to give an idea of what the Square Mag should look:

UPDATE 10/13/15

I thought I should update the photos since it's been a years since I posted last.

UPDATE 3/20/16

Just got back the Micromag bodies from the anodizer. Going to look good when Tuna is done putting it back together for me. More updates for the MicroEmag will be on here: Project #6: MicroEmag

My other Micromag body turned out nice and square now that it's done too.

If you like this project then check out my other ones.

Sk8ermog Projects:

Project #1: HH Mag
    Project #2: Gas Through Grip Frame (DONE)
    Project #3: Angel Mag (DONE)
    Project #4: Square Mag (DONE)
    Project #5: Hawaiian Mag (DONE)
    Project #6: MicroEmag
    Project #7: Mag Rifle (DONE)
    Project #8: NanoMag
    Project #9: Double Barrel Mag
    Project #10: Coming Soon...
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 03-20-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Nice parts !

I had a body anodized with the steel washer inside because I didn't managed to take it off.

The anodizer used a kind of varnish/paste he put inside the body on the washer.
    Only issue : Remove this protection was a pain

You can see the result on my karta.

Curious as to who did the machining to the Tac body, getting a strange inspiration from it.

Luke's Customs

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Luke's Customs
    What he said.

It's at the anodizing right now along with the Micromag body so hopefully they can do something like Maverick is talking about and seal up the steel ring on the Micro. Forest from PTP said there is a way to get it out, but it could harm the body so if there is any way to seal it that would be better. We shall see...
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 08-01-2014 at 03:38 AM.

How much was the milling job on the tac?

My vote goes for an electro-pneumatic frame with the tac body. I don't know... Cant wait to see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bturkben View Post
    How much was the milling job on the tac?
    $1 MILLION Euros. For some reason that's all Luke is accepting these days. Honestly I don't remember but it was definitely worth more then I paid for it cause it turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bturkben View Post
    My vote goes for an electro-pneumatic frame with the tac body. I don't know... Cant wait to see how it comes out.
    Your close. I'm going pneumatic with it, but with something a little more rare and square. *cough Gforce *cough.

I was just told that the parts are being polished this weekend and could be anodized as early as Tue. Getting excited to see this finished myself.

I have a tickler lpr if your interested.... cheap.

Made some updates with photos of the Square Mag

Very nice. The Tac body turned out very well indeed.

Only thing I would have changed on the tac would be chamfering the front of the body similarly to the rear so that it flows a little better into the barrel.

But looks great! Like the T2W stock mounted on there. Bet it's a very peppy marker.

Strangely appealing.......

AGD

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Strangely appealing.......

AGD
    Very honored and glad you like it. You make a great product and I enjoy customizing them.

you need a block barrel...

Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin View Post
    you need a block barrel...
    Do you know of anyone that makes one? Honestly been looking for something that would work.

Very cool & unique, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    Do you know of anyone that makes one? Honestly been looking for something that would work.
    What about boring out a piece of square stock aluminum so that it will slide over a plain round barrel? A couple of set screws on both ends to hold it in place should work.

You know I don't know if Luke was right. His new tac milling mod is cool, but HOT DAMN the square mag looks awesome.

Wasn't someone on MCB doing some square barrels? Maybe post there under the custom projects, see if anyone could do it and freak bore would be cool too.

I've held both in my hands, to me the squared ones looks incomplete, but just my opinion.
    There is basicly 3 options:
    #1 Leave the front square and machine the 45* cut down the front edge to remove the factory dovetail.
    #2 Leave the front square, leave the factory dovetail like Sk8ters.
    or (My favorite) with all the milling>

That's the great things about automags and you Luke. There are a million combos of bodies, rails and trigger frames but it all comes down what people like. My preference is the squared off front like how Luke made mine.

It's been a years since I updated the photos of this mag and since I put it in the MOTM contest I thought I should refresh the pics and this thread. Still one of my favorite mags of all time.

well that is definitely very square. I'm liking it!

I've updated the first post with some cool updates on the side square mag projects I had going on. I also got the right rail finally anodized so the spacing on the main Square Mag should all line up. I'll take new pictures when I get her put back together.