Thread: Is there a way?

Is there a way?

I got a chrome ule body recently and it's flaking. Is there a DYI way to remove the chrome without destroying the Alum.? A friend of mine thought oven cleaner might work? I'll ask 1st before I have a pile of dissolved goo in a pan.
    thanks
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

I'm wondering the same thing I have an intelliframe I'd like to dechrome.

I should think that 30-40% Muriatic Acid would work. I was removing a zinc coating with it and accidentally splashed Some on the faucet and ruined the finish.

Oven cleaner at least will eat on the aluminium as well. So any flaking spots you already have might get pitted from the cleaner.

If I do find a way to strip off the chrome and leave the Alum. I'll let everyone know. I think this would benefit the entire community So let's see what we can come up with.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    This has all been asked before; you'll find plenty of info out there with a google search. Oven cleaner, brake fluid, ammonia, bleach...people have tried all sorts of junk. The only real way to do it properly is by reversing the plating process.

Can this be done in the bathtub? Like jumper cables and a car battery? Wouldn't be the first time I've electrocuted myself. Which explains a lot. 120 ac is like foreplay to an ex- electrician. 240 different story! 12 v dc at 680 cca?
    Last edited by Runamok; 07-26-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Can this be done in the bathtub? Like jumper cables and a car battery? Wouldn't be the first time I've electrocuted myself. Which explains a lot. 120 ac is like foreplay to an ex- electrician. 240 different story! 12 v dc at 680 cca?
    haha! no, i think a bucket would work fine. there may be acid involved; doing this in a bathtub might not be a great idea. i would search for diy plating. stripping is simply reversing the current you would use if you were plating. or something...it's been a while since i read about it.

lol @ 120..."hey, is something tickling me?". clipping a live wire while installing 270v ceiling lights...now that will leave a mark! fortunately i've only heard stories..."the tongue of the devil" was the nickname someone called it.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 07-26-2014 at 01:03 PM.

In all seriousness, I have heard from several professionals that removing chrome is not a diy project and involved some really nasty chemicals and fumes. There was a post on MCB if I remember a ways back with a link to a company that did it for relatively cheap. I'll see if I can dig up the info. I also know that if you contact ATMF in California and have her do the anodizing that she can usually work a very sweet deal on getting chrome removed. I sent her a really bad chrome groovy frame a few months back as part of a lot of parts I was getting done and she sent it out with some other parts to get the chrome removed and she didn't charge me any extra. As long as you are having them do the ano, she can probably accommodate you.

What about sandblasting?

Chances are it will be annoed after would that kill the tolerances?

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    What about sandblasting?

Chances are it will be annoed after would that kill the tolerances?
    Would depend on the media being used. You wouldn't want to use anything aggressive. Like stated above by OPBN, its probably best you send it as is to whoever will be refinishing it and let them handle it.

Thanks guys. after doing more research, I think I'll just leave the stripping to the anno guy's.

The anno process itself will remove all metals that are not aluminum. So, hook up the body as if you are annodizing it and run the process. You will see the chrome plate forming bubbles. The actual metal will disolve. It won't hurt the aluminum because the aluminum will only grow an oxide layer.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    The anno process itself will remove all metals that are not aluminum. So, hook up the body as if you are annodizing it and run the process. You will see the chrome plate forming bubbles. The actual metal will disolve. It won't hurt the aluminum because the aluminum will only grow an oxide layer.
    Odd, because when I sent a frame out to ATMF for stripping and anodizing they had to ship the frame out to a third party to remove the chrome because they didn't have the capability in house. They stripped and refinished all the other parts, just not the chrome one.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Odd, because when I sent a frame out to ATMF for stripping and anodizing they had to ship the frame out to a third party to remove the chrome because they didn't have the capability in house. They stripped and refinished all the other parts, just not the chrome one.
    The annodize process isn't the normal way to remove other metals from aluminum. There are proper methods for removing chrome in a controlled environment, which is why annodize companies take the project to a third parth to do it. That, and they don't want to contaminate their annodize bath. I'm not even sure that the annodize process will work to remove chrome. I know it works for some other metals, but am not entirely sure about the chrome.