Thread: EMag selector ball stuck inside

EMag selector ball stuck inside

I just bought an EMag and the ball that detents (can detent be a verb?) the selector's cam is apparently corroded down so that it doesn't do its job. There was also a spring on the top side of the cam when I took it apart, in the hole that's apparently for installing the spring and ball. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the ball out, or loosen it? If I need a new one, its not a big deal, but its stuck down in there pretty tight, and I'm wondering whether there was a spring under it based on the spring on top.

use a dental pic or a twist tie piece of wire giggle it around to try to break it loose,
    then you can put a magnet to a piece of wire close to where you are going to stick it in and it should grab the ball if it has been nocked loose.

I'll have to get dental picks. I got it to push down with an allen key, but it doesn't come up at all. I don't have anything small enough to get in there to clean it. Thanks

Put some good penetrating oil down the hole. It will help soften the corrosion.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Put some good penetrating oil down the hole. It will help soften the corrosion.
    WD40 for the win.

The spring should be UNDER the ball. If you removed the spring either you lost the ball or it wasn't there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    WD40 for the win.
    The general purpose WD40 isn't a good penetrating fluid. It's just a light lubricant. PB Blaster is really good. WD40 Rust Release Penetrant Spray is a good penetrating fluid (not to be confused with regular WD40). There are many good industrial stength penetrating fluids, but WD40 Rust Release Penetrant and PB Blaster are probably easier to get for the average shopper.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    The spring should be UNDER the ball. If you removed the spring either you lost the ball or it wasn't there to begin with.
    I think he is looking at the spring installed from the top side of the selector switch, instead of the ball and spring being on the underside of the selector switch.