Thread: AVG is a rip off!

AVG is a rip off!

Be warned !!!! Avg anti- virus is a total bunch of thieves! I tried the free version and that was ok but as soon as I bought the home version it stopped working and all I got was pop-up's to buy more. So after buying the up grade package all I got was more pop-ups and a upgrade reminder that my trial version was going to expire. I had to shut down the computer to get rid of the reminder. After letting customer support muck around via remote link it still didn't work. So I go for a refund and all I got was a run around. out right lies and a suggestion I buy this other up grade.So finally they tell me that since it's been more then 30 days since purchase I can't get even a pro rated refund for the total 2 yr protection plan I bought. So it doesn't matter if it ever worked or not I'm screwed. So protect yourselves and spread the word. They will lie and procrastinate then screw you.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

The process to activate the paid version of AVG takes a couple steps, and like a lot of things nowadays more of a hassle then it should be. You have to install it with the disc or key they sent you. Then you need to register it and create an account with the key and it will give you a new key that will fully activate AVG.

you don't understand. I did everything they asked and it still wouldn't work. then they had me e mailing, phone calling and on-line support till time ran out then they said "screw you"

Oh yeah!, any negitive responces they get get disconnected, or invalid resopnce or just lost, with a reply of f u

I've installed the free and paid versions for my customers for years and I don't recall ever having to contact customer support. I have usually found looking solutions up easier online. I never have much luck with customer service, no matter which company it is. I agree them giving up on helping you isn't right. I could try and help you if you'd like to get it working.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    blah, i just use microsoft security essentials. no anti-virus or anti-malware works 100% anyways; always be prepared for the nuclear option.

I offered them every opportunity to make it right, & got screwed. so stick with them if you like. I will just keep spreading the word of how they screwed me. One day you'll join me cause I know they'll rip you off one day.

Yo, Cyco, fly down and junk hanging out. Works!

I was prompted to download an update once and when it said I had to pay I just uninstalled and downloaded the free one.

Then that laptop died and I bought one on Craigslist and it already had a free one on it call Avira.

It works fine but from time to time I'll get a pop up telling me I need to upgrade to a paid version, I just ignore it.

How did you pay? If you used a credit card dispute the charges with them and odds are the credit card will go after the company over it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. They ripped me off and I wiser although poorer. So now it's time to kick them outa my head and get on with life. I'll trash them any chance I get but for now ,my bad. Thanks peeps.

Oh yeah. AVG went down the crapper a few years ago. Now, it's just bloatware. I actually trust Microsoft Security Essentials over AVG, now. It's really sad. AVG used to be awesome.

Microsoft security essentials does well for me. It's free. It's easy. BUT... it didn't catch everything. I.T. friend of mine turned me on to "super anti spyware". Cheesy name, but it catches stuff the digs in deep. and it's not a super pain in the rear.

I've been using Avast! for about a year now and like it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    I've been using Avast! for about a year now and like it quite a bit.
    I've been using it for three years now. Seems to be working quite well so far.

Runamok you aren't allowed to buy anything else off the interwebs without at least one of your grandchildrens approval !

I'll ask them soon after they arrive. My Daughter 26 doesn't seem to be into motherhood,course that ole bio clock may start ticking sometime. But at least she's have fun, and my Son's only 15. if he makes me a grand dad anytime soon ... I'll argue with her father as to which one of us gets to beat him 1st. I been using spybot S&D free ver. love the name and it work ok also.
    Last edited by Runamok; 09-19-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    I been using spybot S&D free ver. love the name and it work ok also.
    It's nice addition, but it's not antivirus.

edit. Hmm scratch that. It seems to be one now.