Thread: trracer rail mag mod

trracer rail mag mod

This all started because I wanted to put an Empire Rip Clip on a mag. I about gave up on the project, but needed something to relieve some stress and there's nothing better than a pb project to get some of that out of your system.

So I started with an old direct feed body and here's my mod:

Step 1: cut off the feedneck and get a rough shape.

Step 2: Put a barrel in the marker to make sure the back of the "D-shape" hole is at the back of the hole in the barrel.

Step 3: use the trracer rail to make sure the hole is cut slightly larger in the body than in the rail.

Step 4: polish the cut area on the body

Step 5: cut the rail to size for the mag body

I chose to cut the rail such that I could use the rear part of the ramp. (I know GoatBoy just used the entire rail and didn't cut it down at all.)

Step 6: epoxy all pieces onto the body

Step 7: hand feed first strike rounds (with slight barrel modification), use vert feed, Rip Clip, or stick feed.

WARNING:
    If you do not do step 2, you could end up with a hole cut further back than the feed on your barrel rendering the whole thing useless.

Acknowledgements:
    I saw this done once before by a guy who used zip ties to hold the trracer rail to the mag body. That was my inspiration. After starting this project, I noticed that a few other people had done it too. However, I never found a "how to" for the mod, so decided to make one. Again, I'm definitely not the first to do this and so cannot take credit for the idea.

Enjoy.

Here it is with the rip clip.

Is it ugly? Absolutely! But does it rip? Definitely! And it's lower profile than having a Halo on an elbow.

Very nice idea. Not a fan of bt stuff, but the vesitility of the rail and all the different loading system ypu can throw on there. Make s it totally ba.

Be mindful of that epoxy though; I've found that paint fill seems to have a solvent effect against it. For spring feeds it's probably OK; but when you put a full hopper on there, you'll have to keep an eye on it.

I've made a shortened version which actually fits the Mag's body diameter exactly. The intent was to have it removable, but if you wanted to glue it, this one actually has more surface area to glue against than the Trracer rail (I think).

What we really need are weld nuts on top of the body (just like on the bottom). Then no more gluing.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Be mindful of that epoxy though; I've found that paint fill seems to have a solvent effect against it.
    I did the same mod using JB Weld "Water Weld" epoxy putty to fix the tac rail to the body. Short of nuclear annihilation, the two shall never part.

SZ
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    This is AO, find/make/mod an alternative .

As much as glue-on mods may seem less glamorous than full custom bodies, I do like the looks of them and the functionality. The old rough stainless bodies make great candidates for printed tops like GoatBoy's.

My wife asked my son why he would want a 3D printer; we just gave her a puzzled stare. She correctly read the answer and said "what wouldn't you want a 3D printer for?"

It has a lot of epoxy under the rail and then I used the epoxy to "seal" around the rail. I didn't want paint able to get stuck in under the rail. Paint would have to work really hard to get in there now. But I will keep an eye on it.

I played a big game yesterday and loaned this one to a friend to use with the rip clip on it. It rocked solid all day. Wish I had taken the time to get some video, but was too busy shooting the CIA.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Be mindful of that epoxy though; I've found that paint fill seems to have a solvent effect against it. For spring feeds it's probably OK; but when you put a full hopper on there, you'll have to keep an eye on it.

I've made a shortened version which actually fits the Mag's body diameter exactly. The intent was to have it removable, but if you wanted to glue it, this one actually has more surface area to glue against than the Trracer rail (I think).

What we really need are weld nuts on top of the body (just like on the bottom). Then no more gluing.
    How much for your slide over rail?
    Last edited by yellowmitten; 11-23-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmitten View Post
    How much four your slide over rail?
    He probably paid 300 to print it but its cool anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    He probably paid 300 to print it but its cool anyway.

Is printing really that expensive? I thought the point of the 3D printers was to be able to make this stuff super cheap.

Bowcycle how is your traccer rail holding up?

I sold it, but the guy I sold it to is still using it with no complaints.

Like I said above, all the epoxy holding the rail in place is underneath. I then sealed around the rail with more epoxy. Paint doesn't have any way to get underneath and have any sort of "solvent" effect.

Can't wait to do it to my stock mag.