Thread: Leak has me stumped

Leak has me stumped

Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either. I should mention that there are zero shims installed as well.

These are usually an easy fix but this one really has me scratching my head.......

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by robertreed711 View Post
    Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either. I should mention that there are zero shims installed as well.

These are usually an easy fix but this one really has me scratching my head.......

Any ideas?
    What kind of shape is the bolt and sear in? Too much wear and the bolt maybe "sitting" too far forward. I'm assuming you have the sear rod properly adjusted also?

1) 3 drops of oil into valve. Could be a dry oring.
    2) REPLACE powertube oring. If that doesn't help...
    3) add in shim to the carrier if not using them or remove 1 if you are. As things wear, you might need to make minor adjustments, hence the shims.

That should be all...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either.
    when you change carrier o-rings, you have to go through the adjustment process again of finding the largest carrier that doesn't leak.

Does the gun actually fire properly without having any bolt stick? Make sure you do have the largest carrier size that doesn't leak. Sometimes a carrier that is too tight can cause the oring to get pushed back as the bolt stem goes into the oring. This will keep the vent hole exposed and allow a leak, even though you have a small carrier size. Bolt stick is a tell tale sign for this condition though.

Have you checked the oring that goes around the outside of the carrier? They typically never leak, but if it did get a blemish, it can be a source for a leak.

Is your rail spacer installed?

I would retune the level 10, especially if you changed the oring. When the leak is present, put your finger on the tip of the bolt and gently push it back so see if it stops the leak. If it does, then your bolt is probably sitting too far forward. That could be due to wear on your sear. If the leak doesn't stop or just changes sound slightly, then your carrier size is too large.

It could be that you have a bunch of orings that are slightly out of spec and can't be adjusted down to the proper tension. If this is the case, you will need to get some new orings and get rid of the ones you have.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

ULT or RT on/off? I had a stupid leak on a customers gun I couldn't figure out. Same situation as you. Held the trigger it went away. Replaced everything, retuned, ect. Thought the power tube was loose. Took it off, replaced the red oring, still leaked. It was the stupid little black oring inside the ULT.

can be the same issue in the rt on/offs aswell the inner oring

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Does the gun actually fire properly without having any bolt stick? Make sure you do have the largest carrier size that doesn't leak. Sometimes a carrier that is too tight can cause the oring to get pushed back as the bolt stem goes into the oring. This will keep the vent hole exposed and allow a leak, even though you have a small carrier size. Bolt stick is a tell tale sign for this condition though.

Have you checked the oring that goes around the outside of the carrier? They typically never leak, but if it did get a blemish, it can be a source for a leak.

Is your rail spacer installed?

I would retune the level 10, especially if you changed the oring. When the leak is present, put your finger on the tip of the bolt and gently push it back so see if it stops the leak. If it does, then your bolt is probably sitting too far forward. That could be due to wear on your sear. If the leak doesn't stop or just changes sound slightly, then your carrier size is too large.

It could be that you have a bunch of orings that are slightly out of spec and can't be adjusted down to the proper tension. If this is the case, you will need to get some new orings and get rid of the ones you have.
    Everything is thoroughly oiled and I have replaced all the o-rings in the power tube.

No bolt stick, fires great and RT's. Is also very consistent on the FPS.

Tried changing the o-ring around the carrier and nothing changed.

Rail spacer is installed.

Pushing back on the bolt does nothing either.

Valve has RT on/off.

I did notice that the power tube will unthread from the main body so I will be checking that o-ring next. Luckily a friend is hooking me up with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    ULT or RT on/off? I had a stupid leak on a customers gun I couldn't figure out. Same situation as you. Held the trigger it went away. Replaced everything, retuned, ect. Thought the power tube was loose. Took it off, replaced the red oring, still leaked. It was the stupid little black oring inside the ULT.
    I have a spare RT on/off. Maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

I have a spare RT on/off. Maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
    If that fixes it, change the inside small oring AND the large outside one. Air does get past them when they are bad.

I did notice that the power tube will unthread from the main body so I will be checking that o-ring next. Luckily a friend is hooking me up with one of those.
    It can unthread but it isn't meant to. If it has come loose, then it could be your problem. Check the condition of that oring.

Is the leak actually coming from the powertube? If it is the one of the on-off orings on the lower section, it could sound like it is coming from the powertube. Take the grips off the frame and see if you can get a better idea of where the leak is coming from just to verify whether it is a powertube leak or an on-off leak.

Get a red oring and loctite that powertube back on.

Get a red oring and loctite that powertube back on.
    Got one in the mail, should be here in a couple days.

Replaced the o-ring and reinstalled the powertube, leak is gone!

Lesson learned.
    Last edited by robertreed711; 09-19-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Replaced the o-ring and reinstalled the o-ring, leak is gone!

Lesson learned.

Yay!

Yay!
    Yup, Can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Where did you get the replacement o-ring? I have developed this problem with my ult. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kafletcher View Post
    Where did you get the replacement o-ring? I have developed this problem with my ult. Thanks.
    Start a new thread and explain your problem and questions. That way there won't be any confusion over what part of the issue is being discussed.

They come in with the ULT or can be purchased separately. Tunaman has all!

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Start a new thread and explain your problem and questions. That way there won't be any confusion over what part of the issue is being discussed.
    Why would anyone do something so stupid, when the questions and answers have already been asked and answered on this thread? All it would do is waste time and energy. Thanks Big Evil!

Why would anyone do something so stupid, when the questions and answers have already been asked and answered on this thread? All it would do is waste time and energy.
    If that were the case, then there would only be about 3 threads here in the tech forum.

When other questions are asked inside a thread that has a long history of solutions to an ongoing issue, it can get confusing as to what is being referenced. When I first saw your question, I imediately thought you had a powertube issue since that was the issue that was solved in this thread. After I read it again, I realized you may be referencing a ULT issue and not the issue in this thread. That is why it is good to have your own thread on the subject. You can state your own problems separately from everything that has already been discussed, even if some of it relates to your issue. You can even reference the post in this thread. It will also help others that might have the same issue as you, such as just looking for a ULT oring, if the problem and solution is not lost lost in a more complicated thread.

Why would anyone do something so stupid, when the questions and answers have already been asked and answered on this thread? All it would do is waste time and energy. Thanks Big Evil!
    Athomas is one of the more helpful members here and brings a lot of knowledge to the table. As a fairly new member you may want to play a little nicer with the person that will most likely be able to answer the harder questions you'll possibly run into. We are mostly a friendly, helpful bunch of people.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Athomas is one of the more helpful members here and brings a lot of knowledge to the table. As a fairly new member you may want to play a little nicer with the person that will most likely be able to answer the harder questions you'll possibly run into. We are mostly a friendly, helpful bunch of people.
    People must learn AO etiquette, this isn't pbn or mcb

Respect for one another shouldnt be just a AO thing.... Just sayin

Yup, Can't wait to use it tomorrow!

What Macroline and fittings are you running on that thing? Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by carnutaz View Post
    What Macroline and fittings are you running on that thing? Looks great!
    Looks like CCM to me.