Thread: Leak has me stumped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leak has me stumped

Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either. I should mention that there are zero shims installed as well.

These are usually an easy fix but this one really has me scratching my head.......

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by robertreed711 View Post
    Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either. I should mention that there are zero shims installed as well.

These are usually an easy fix but this one really has me scratching my head.......

Any ideas?
    What kind of shape is the bolt and sear in? Too much wear and the bolt maybe "sitting" too far forward. I'm assuming you have the sear rod properly adjusted also?

1) 3 drops of oil into valve. Could be a dry oring.
    2) REPLACE powertube oring. If that doesn't help...
    3) add in shim to the carrier if not using them or remove 1 if you are. As things wear, you might need to make minor adjustments, hence the shims.

That should be all...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Today I was messing around with an x-valve I have and while doing so it developed a leak down the barrel. It went away when I held the trigger so I knew it was in the powertube and most likely meant that I need to go down one carrier size. The only problem was that when I took it apart it already had the smallest carrier installed. I though maybe the carrier o-ring was just worn out so I replaced that but no dice. Then on a whim I though I would try a different carrier (same size) but that didn't help either.
    when you change carrier o-rings, you have to go through the adjustment process again of finding the largest carrier that doesn't leak.

Does the gun actually fire properly without having any bolt stick? Make sure you do have the largest carrier size that doesn't leak. Sometimes a carrier that is too tight can cause the oring to get pushed back as the bolt stem goes into the oring. This will keep the vent hole exposed and allow a leak, even though you have a small carrier size. Bolt stick is a tell tale sign for this condition though.

Have you checked the oring that goes around the outside of the carrier? They typically never leak, but if it did get a blemish, it can be a source for a leak.

Is your rail spacer installed?

I would retune the level 10, especially if you changed the oring. When the leak is present, put your finger on the tip of the bolt and gently push it back so see if it stops the leak. If it does, then your bolt is probably sitting too far forward. That could be due to wear on your sear. If the leak doesn't stop or just changes sound slightly, then your carrier size is too large.

It could be that you have a bunch of orings that are slightly out of spec and can't be adjusted down to the proper tension. If this is the case, you will need to get some new orings and get rid of the ones you have.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

ULT or RT on/off? I had a stupid leak on a customers gun I couldn't figure out. Same situation as you. Held the trigger it went away. Replaced everything, retuned, ect. Thought the power tube was loose. Took it off, replaced the red oring, still leaked. It was the stupid little black oring inside the ULT.

can be the same issue in the rt on/offs aswell the inner oring

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    ULT or RT on/off? I had a stupid leak on a customers gun I couldn't figure out. Same situation as you. Held the trigger it went away. Replaced everything, retuned, ect. Thought the power tube was loose. Took it off, replaced the red oring, still leaked. It was the stupid little black oring inside the ULT.
    I have a spare RT on/off. Maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

I have a spare RT on/off. Maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
    If that fixes it, change the inside small oring AND the large outside one. Air does get past them when they are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Where did you get the replacement o-ring? I have developed this problem with my ult. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kafletcher View Post
    Where did you get the replacement o-ring? I have developed this problem with my ult. Thanks.
    Start a new thread and explain your problem and questions. That way there won't be any confusion over what part of the issue is being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by kafletcher View Post
    They come in with the ULT or can be purchased separately. Tunaman has all!

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Does the gun actually fire properly without having any bolt stick? Make sure you do have the largest carrier size that doesn't leak. Sometimes a carrier that is too tight can cause the oring to get pushed back as the bolt stem goes into the oring. This will keep the vent hole exposed and allow a leak, even though you have a small carrier size. Bolt stick is a tell tale sign for this condition though.

Have you checked the oring that goes around the outside of the carrier? They typically never leak, but if it did get a blemish, it can be a source for a leak.

Is your rail spacer installed?

I would retune the level 10, especially if you changed the oring. When the leak is present, put your finger on the tip of the bolt and gently push it back so see if it stops the leak. If it does, then your bolt is probably sitting too far forward. That could be due to wear on your sear. If the leak doesn't stop or just changes sound slightly, then your carrier size is too large.

It could be that you have a bunch of orings that are slightly out of spec and can't be adjusted down to the proper tension. If this is the case, you will need to get some new orings and get rid of the ones you have.
    Everything is thoroughly oiled and I have replaced all the o-rings in the power tube.

No bolt stick, fires great and RT's. Is also very consistent on the FPS.

Tried changing the o-ring around the carrier and nothing changed.

Rail spacer is installed.

Pushing back on the bolt does nothing either.

Valve has RT on/off.

I did notice that the power tube will unthread from the main body so I will be checking that o-ring next. Luckily a friend is hooking me up with one of those.

I did notice that the power tube will unthread from the main body so I will be checking that o-ring next. Luckily a friend is hooking me up with one of those.
    It can unthread but it isn't meant to. If it has come loose, then it could be your problem. Check the condition of that oring.

Is the leak actually coming from the powertube? If it is the one of the on-off orings on the lower section, it could sound like it is coming from the powertube. Take the grips off the frame and see if you can get a better idea of where the leak is coming from just to verify whether it is a powertube leak or an on-off leak.

Get a red oring and loctite that powertube back on.