Thread: Ugh! nasty!,snarl !spit!!!!

Ugh! nasty!,snarl !spit!!!!

I just was looking at my Armada/MMULE mag, thinking of possible anno , and my bolt in the Sub-zero feedneck has some rust starting. Yuck!! I hate the humidity in Fla. Can someone advise me of what size these are so I can hunt down some Stainless Steel? Rouge? Help, I can't have cancer starting on this beauty. Looks kinda 1/4 x 20ish. ooooogh yuck it's starting on my grip screws too, Ahhhg, run screaming into the woods! Luke? 6-32ish? on the grip screws?
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Just back from Ace Hardware, Sub-zero is a 1/4 x20 x3/4 in. $1.49 Lukes grip screws are 6-32 x 1/4 $.29. no more rust

Ace is the place for all your Automag fastener needs.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Ace is the place for all your Automag fastener needs.

quoted for truth! between the two ace hardwares between where i live, i can get any kind of stainless hardware i need.

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Just back from Ace Hardware, Sub-zero is a 1/4 x20 x3/4 in.
    Really? That's rather large. I'm surprised.

That's what she said

My local hardware stores suck. I buy in bulk from bolt depot. They have pretty much everything. Only one I couldn't find was the AM foregrip screw.

Bolt depot is great. I've been buying specialty motorcycle bolts from there for years.

Yeah I haven't really been that happy with local hardware store selection.

After the Hawaiian mag debacle, I went off and got some nice stainless steel hex screws. Fortunately there is a specialty shop local to me that carries that stuff.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    My local hardware stores suck. I buy in bulk from bolt depot. They have pretty much everything. Only one I couldn't find was the AM foregrip screw.
    I got some from Fastenal. They called it a ferry style head, but I was told by another distributor that they're a low profile hex. Still haven't found any in SS.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Yeah I haven't really been that happy with local hardware store selection.

After the Hawaiian mag debacle, I went off and got some nice stainless steel hex screws. Fortunately there is a specialty shop local to me that carries that stuff.
    Talk about that .

I typically use www.mcmaster.com for fasteners.
    So what if I end up with a hundred spares.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    I typically use www.mcmaster.com for fasteners.
    So what if I end up with a hundred spares.
    They work to. And they are generally more than willing to get 1 off custom stuff done. I've special ordered fuel rated cable gromets before special order.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Talk about that .
    Rust! Rust as far as the eye can see! Button head screws rusted so badly that hex socket was gone! Screws rusted internally so badly that it actually broke the tools I used to try to budge them after cutting a slot in them! Even after grinding the caps off, it still took a vise grip and a mallet to remove the rest of the front frame screw! Some sort of sealant was used in between the body and rail, and there were flecks of red Loc-tite found!

OTOH the mag valve itself was in pretty good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Oh Hell yes.

So uh, I'd be in for a handful.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered just putting together a "stainless fastener mag upgrade kit"? Just something with, what, 2-3 sets of all the correct screws in stainless. I know I could have made a few of those kits disappear myself while helping other people with their mags.

(Why didn't AGD use them in the first place?)

I believe I remember long ago that sets of all SS screws were put togather for the mag. I don't think it included the fore grip screw. Think about it, 10/32 x 3/4 button head(front frame screw),1/4 x20 x 1/2(fore grip),8/32,or is it 6/32 (grip screws), 10/32 square nuts for asa frame mount and 10/32 x 7/8 (choose head style ) for the frame asa mount. All readily available at Ace. Basically the whole gun is held together by 7 screws, and 5 of them aren't required to be removed for basic maint.
    And I got 2 Aloha Mags and really expected the rusty screws. I didn't suffer too badly removing the bad ones(course I expected what would be required to clean them up) and they've all since been replaced w SS.
    Last edited by Runamok; 09-23-2014 at 03:55 AM.

maybe at your ACE. The one local to me has crap for allen head. They have a bunch of caphead, but they carry virtually nothing in buttonhead.

"I wonder if anyone has ever considered just putting together a "stainless fastener mag upgrade kit"?
    Over in the dealer section Maggot had some sets for sale. With my new discovery at Mc master carr. I guess it would just take disassembling and measuring all the screws and put kits together for AM and RT. I'd probably have to buy in bulk and hand assemble kits due to all the variations needed. Then it'd be kinda like PVC stands most anyone could just look at a pic and build they're own. Might just put together a list of the screws and sizes and resource guide, What size and where to get them. Kinda like a master source and size list. even include pump wave spring and bumper, I had a link for those somewhere. Save a lot of running around for the right link to find what you need.