Thread: Retro Valve Help

Retro Valve Help

Haven't used my mag in many many years, so I finally changed ALL the orings in the Mag for my first paintball day with my son next week but My problem, is that as soon as I gas up, air starts leaking out of the tiny hole on the side of the valve. It's a first because as long as I've owned this mag that has never happened. Any advice would be great. Thanks

pull the reg piston out the back and wipe it off, add a drop of oil to the oring and reinstall

It is either:
    (1) dry o-rings, or
    ........................solution: add oil
    (2) compromised o-rings on the reg pin (dirty or cracked/dried out)
    .......................solution: clean off debris, or replace o-rings on the back of the reg pin (if cracked/dried out)
    the o-rings are located in the area circled in yellow (seen below)

RT VALVE rebuild kit location: http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...UC4aAixe8P8HAQ

Cyco-Dude Guest
    sounds like you missed the o-rings on the valve pin assembly, as circled above by mr. red. if they are very old, they'll probably just break apart when you try to remove the old ones. you'll see a small 'c' clip on the end of the pin which retains the o-rings; you do not need to remove that to get the new o-rings on. they'll stretch over it. the trick is you hook the o-ring farthest from you over the clip, and then work the two sides (left and right) at the same time over the clip. it takes some practice, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

Thank you Mr Red, that indeed was the problem. By chance is there a close up picture of that area that's circled above? All the old orings completely disintegrated and I can't tell the orings I need to use. Now it's leaking from the regulator nut and I'm sure it's because I'm using a wrong oring. Thanks again

Cyco-Dude Guest
    the exploded diagram is here. you use the regulator valve pin o-rings (same o-ring that goes in the on/off top and in the regulator body).

RT VALVE rebuild kit location: http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...UC4aAixe8P8HAQ

Those reg pin o-rings are a specific grade/material and need to be to make your valve function and seal correctly. I believe they are a 006 size o-ring. I would just buy the kit, and rebuild the entire valve with AGD specific grade/material approved o-rings. The AGD o-rings last forever (most use them for over a decade before replacement).

After examining the orings I noticed that the spacer oring in the valve pin assembly is cracked, so I'm assuming that's why it's now leaking air from the regulator nut. I've lowered the velocity and cleaned everything pretty well. I'm going to order the parts kit and hope it gets here before next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus1028 View Post
    .....I noticed that the spacer oring in the valve pin assembly is cracked......
    That's normal. The spacer doesn't create a seal; it simply places distance between the two 006 orings.

Really? So then why is it leaking from the back,velocity is low and area is really clean?

You might need to replace the regulator piston assembly, are you using a Level 10?

Really? So then why is it leaking from the back,velocity is low and area is really clean?
    IF your mag is leaking from new spots now, the o-rings have gone bad (THEY DO NOT LAST FOREVER). Bite the bullet, buy the rebuild kit, and and rebuild you entire valve.

No I'm not using Lvl 10, I just placed an order for a kit, as soon as I replace all the orings I will post the outcome. In case I do need to replace the piston assembly, who sells them? Sorry, it's been a really long time since I've used my Mag and I'm really really rusty. Back in the day I really knew this gun. Thanks for all the help guys.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    No I'm not using Lvl 10, I just placed an order for a kit, as soon as I replace all the orings I will post the outcome. In case I do need to replace the piston assembly, who sells them? Sorry, it's been a really long time since I've used my Mag and I'm really really rusty. Back in the day I really knew this gun. Thanks for all the help guys.
    you can get them directly from airgun designs or tunamart (either through the website or by sending tunaman here a pm). it probably just needs new o-rings though.

A leak out the back is usually an indication that the velocity is too high. That is caused by turning up the velocity too far or by a leaking oring in the regulator. Since you have adjusted the velocity down and it is still a problem, I would bet that the regulator seat oring is bad.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.