Thread: Subterranean Paintball - Feb 2015 - Minford, OH

Subterranean Paintball - Feb 2015 - Minford, OH

Planning is underway for another underground paintball event at the White Gravel Mine in Minford, OH. If you have never played in a cave, and most paintballers haven't, it is an experience you won't forget! The games are insured, and take place in an abandoned silica mine that has been inspected and determined safe. All players MUST bring a flashlight as some parts of the mine have little or no lighting. Several games have been held here with great success and more information will be made available as the event draws closer. Turnout expectations are 50-75 players based on past big game endeavors.

Name:  Starship Troopers_1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  147.2 KB

Name:  mine staging area2.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  51.4 KB

This video was shot by a member of Team FTF of the UWL series. A few of their team came to the last game. Most of the video takes place in and around tunnel #2 that has the most lighting by far. As you can see, the crosscuts have no lighting. Tunnels 1, 3 and 4 have little or no lighting. Tunnel #2 is also the longest and largest tunnel. We had a F150 with an eight foot extension ladder in the bed to work on the lights.

http://youtu.be/cBhOm6gEsf8

First let me say. As someone that deals with the mining industry on a daily basis (no I'm not a miner). What they deem safe. And what really is safe are 2 different things. Especially with breathing that crap.

Now... That looks like a lot of fun. If anything as a 1 time deal just to say you have done it.

Definitely keep me in the loop. Two friends and myself are within a half day's drive, and it sounds awesome.

We'll make sure we have life insurance, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Definitely keep me in the loop. Two friends and myself are within a half day's drive, and it sounds awesome.

We'll make sure we have life insurance, just in case.
    Where are you located? West or east of this? And ah! This is less than 7 hours from me.
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 10-07-2014 at 10:22 AM.

North of it (up by Detroit).

Would be willing to set up a carpool with anyone else in the area, or on the route.

I'm in south IL. So we are totally different directions.

JKR more info would be great? Prices? 1 or 2 day big game.....1 day I'm guessing. BYOP or FPO? I'm interested from the novelty aspect of it. And 6 hours isn't bad at all for 1 way travel.
    Then again. Time appears to be my biggest issue anymore with getting to play big games.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    I'm in south IL. So we are totally different directions.

JKR more info would be great? Prices? 1 or 2 day big game.....1 day I'm guessing. BYOP or FPO? I'm interested from the novelty aspect of it. And 6 hours isn't bad at all for 1 way travel.
    Then again. Time appears to be my biggest issue anymore with getting to play big games.
    I can give you some additional info, but all details won't be finalized until closer to the event. It has historically been a one day event with games running throughout the day. The location is remote with no convenience stores or restaurants that are close. Bringing your own food and drinks are recommended but we will likely have bottled water and perhaps some minimal snacks on hand for sale at a nominal cost. Start and finish times are being discussed now. The walk from the parking area to the playing area is long and unfriendly. Be prepared to bring your gear with you to the mine and stage inside the mine.

Cost to play has historically been around $20 to help offset costs...porta-john rental, insurance, electricity, glow sticks, etc. Price has yet to be finalized for this event but no one is looking to make money so don't expect to get brutalized on prices. Paint in the past has always been BYOP with some limited amount on hand to sell to those who need it. We have a shop owner that will likely be in attendance and will probably bring some goods to sell. Some limited HPA will likely be on-hand as well as C02 but we always ask that everyone come with tanks full, ready to go. Chrono'ing is enforced with speeds set at 250 since close quarters are often encountered. Those without proper safety gear or who do not follow safety rules will be asked to leave. Waivers will be signed so minors should have an adult present to sign for them.

In the past, the mine has been open Friday night for camping at no charge.

We have always tried to give out prizes at our big games. Although we don't promise prizes like Living Legends and other major events, we generally always get our team sponsors to kick in some goodies for giveaways. No promises but we know all players like some freebies at the end of the day.

Our game, Starship Troopers, in November 2011 had about 80 players in attendance.

All players MUST have working flashlights with them at all times. Whether you use them during the game is up to you but for safely exiting after a game, we ask that you have one with spare batteries in your gear.

Our team has historically had a donation jar on hand for a worthwhile charity. Wounded Warrior Project has been one organization we have donated to in the past. Not sure who we will pick in 2015 but we try to find organizations that support our vets.

More to come!

So your actually one of the ones putting this together? Gotcha. I'm never looking for freebies. Figure other more needing people can have that stuff.
    20-30 isn't bad at all. And I'd take a case with me of paint then. As far as light I'd just grab a mine pit cap light. My dad has a nice LED one I'd borrow.

250fps is actually higher than I expected it to be. I'm interested and my wife sounds to be also.

I also have one of those pocket chronos I can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    I also have one of those pocket chronos I can bring.
    Thanks zulubravo44 but we have one of the big red radar chronos and a couple of other smaller radar chronos...we should be set. Appreciate the offer!

So your actually one of the ones putting this together? Gotcha. I'm never looking for freebies. Figure other more needing people can have that stuff.
    20-30 isn't bad at all. And I'd take a case with me of paint then. As far as light I'd just grab a mine pit cap light. My dad has a nice LED one I'd borrow.

250fps is actually higher than I expected it to be. I'm interested and my wife sounds to be also.

Hopefully, early in November I should have some more solid info. Our team, The Urban Guard, is planning on having a meeting on site to discuss particulars and get things lined up for February. In the meantime...pictures speak a thousand words so I will put some more up!

Oh, and look us up on Facebook too...we try to keep things posted and do events on there to keep people informed.

Entrance to the mines...pretty rugged walk of about 300 yards from parking to mine entrance.

Name:  Mine entrance_2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  228.1 KB

Pregame meeting outside the mine entrances.

Name:  Starship Troopers_meeting.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  193.2 KB

Players outside the primary entrance before the game

Name:  Mines_stories.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  85.7 KB

Kyle Poynter attended the February 2014 game, which was the most recent game held there.

Name:  Kyle Poynter.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  32.3 KB

Less than perfect weather the day and evening before suppressed turnout...including me! Not happy at all I missed it.

Name:  Mine entrance_snow.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  74.6 KB

I had an Automag ready to rock that day, only to be denied!!

Name:  TACMAG.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  155.8 KB

If I can get my wife to call it a go and go with me we are in. If I'm making the trip on my own its depending on a lot of other factors.

How is the weather in that particular mine in February. Mines around here can be dang cold. Especially if your in a main ventilation crosscut. Also roughly how much mine do you guys get to use to support the 75 players? This just looks like a really cool experience.

If I can get my wife to call it a go and go with me we are in. If I'm making the trip on my own its depending on a lot of other factors.

How is the weather in that particular mine in February. Mines around here can be dang cold. Especially if your in a main ventilation crosscut. Also roughly how much mine do you guys get to use to support the 75 players? This just looks like a really cool experience.
    Near the entrances, it is drafty. Get back into the shafts more than 50 or 60 ft, it isn't drafty and stays in the low to mid 50s year around. Walking into the mines when it is 30 outside and 55 inside is a weird feeling.

There are four shafts. Shaft #2 is the largest and is featured in the above picture of Kyle Poynter and in the video. Shaft #2 is the only area with permanent lighting. The shaft is approx 30-35 feet wide in most spots and is about 800 feet long total length. Shaft #3 is about 800 feet long also total length. Shafts #1 & #4 are as big and about 400 feet long total length. All are about 30-35 feet wide. Playing area may be adjusted depending on circumstances. There are multiple cross cuts, about 50-60 feet long, between the shafts - six between shafts 2 & 3. Usually, about 2/3 of the area is used for game play with remaining area at front of mines off limits for staging, chrono, air fills, etc.

There is some area near the back of the mine off limits because of standing water.
    Last edited by JKR; 10-10-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Now just for time..... And the wife. To know for sure.

It FEELS much larger. Where the crosscuts occur, you have very wide openings. Also at the back of the mine, the shafts interconnect as well. Some of the ceilings are very high in spots which leads to large feel. Of course, standing in PITCH BLACK areas with only flashlights going on and off with no ambient light lends to the large and eery feel. I guarantee you have never experienced anything like it...and I have played many night games at various scenario games.

We are meeting this weekend to discuss particulars of holding this game and I should have more information to share very soon!

Facebook event page is up for "Marauders of the Lost Mines."

https://www.facebook.com/events/6211...6840/?source=1

Hmmmmmmmm

Im in detroit so i might have to come check this out

Interest in this game is growing quickly!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/6211...ilter=upcoming

The game was a success! We had about 200 players. Anyone from AO there? I didn't recognize anyone but we had players from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and WV.

http://youtu.be/RZBDfdul9Ek

Paintball in the mine is back!

"The Mines of Moria" will take place on March 5, 2016.

https://youtu.be/4KZIepOJNko