Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paintball in arm...

Just look up the Darwin awards and get someone to give you a neck massage afterwards. Cause you will be shaking your head in disbelief a lot...

Try an experiment. Take a marble or reball and press it against your arm in the same location as the arm in the video. Press until you can't stand the pain. Did you come anywhere near breaking through the skin? I'm betting you would press the skin and muscle tight against the bone long before the skin even started to break. You could argue that the skin couldn't react fast enough such that it started to tear without being pressed due to the speed of the projectile, but a paintball gun can't fire a projectile that fast. The skin happens to be very elastic. The mean ultimate tensile strength of skin is about 21.5 MPa (3118psi). Given a paintball is 0.363" in diameter, that would equate to about 1132lb of force on the impact area as the paintball pushed the skin in. Since the paintball does not have a sharp point or edge, the force is exerted across the entire contact area stretching the skin until it breaks. A paintball with a mass of 0.035oz would have to be traveling about 900 ft/s to impart that force. Any large blunt object with enough energy to break the sking and embed itself usually does much more internal damage as well. I know that if someone put over 1000lbs of force on my arm, it would probably break. This force is over 10x the force of a normal paintball hitting an arm. I don't know of any paintball guns that can even get a paintball up to the required velocity to do this type of damage.

So, with science as my guide, I still maintain that it is fake.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.