Thread: what's a good action paintball video camera?

what's a good action paintball video camera?

I'm looking to buy a good paintball video camera to mount on my helmet or gun to film the events I go to.I've seen several but really don't have a clue as to which one to buy.I need to know which ones can take paintball hits,good quality video and easiest to use/mount.
    Any ideas or experience with them would be great to hear.thanks

I use the r7 replay. I've had it for 2 years, it works well and its easy to use. I mount it on the marker so I can tell if its on or not, but it dose vibrate when you turn it on and off. It also comes with all the mounting hardware you'll need. It can take a hit and it's waterproof. Lastly its vary low profile and small. They are a lot of fun whichever one you pick up and are a grate training tool.

Inception designs make a mounting kit for a camera. I think it is for a gopro

I have replay as well. Reason I choose it (in addition to things mentioned above) was that it has narrower FOV (field of view) than all the rest. Narrow FOV is a must if you try capture paintball game from someone's point of view. If it isn't narrow enough you only see the opponent as few pixel smudges in the distance. Makes pretty boring video to watch that kind of footage when you can't really tell what's happening.

Picture quality could be little nicer than it is, but then I've been spoiled by working daily with footage from high end cameras.

Should I be looking at 720 or 1080 HD?which is better for paintball?or does it matter?
    The gopro hero3 looks too bulky but the r7 replays look nice.I've also looked at a Sony one.Does the r7 warranty cover paintball damage?
    Thanks for the help guys

I own both the Contour and Gopros. The Contour is a superior camera for paintball due to its shape and ease of use. I'd recommend that.

I'd take full HD, almost all cameras can drop to 720p if you so want.

Actually it seems Replay has come out with new model that would be pretty sweet for paintball. Smallest FOV at 70 degrees largest at 140 degrees.

http://replayxd.com/product/prime-x/

Wow there are just so many now but the contours and replays look very nice.the ghost HD looks promising too.the gopro and Sony are out but the replays and contour and maybe the ghost are contenders.of the 3 mentioned which one looks best.thanks

I wish they had Field of View (FOV) numbers on this chart but it should help you select based on what is important to you.

http://www.dropzone.com/news/Gear/Be...tout_1027.html

I would imagine that a small front profile is good but if you can mount on the front of the hopper then size doesn't matter.
    Wide angle is good for fast action sports but paintball would be better with a narrow FOV.
    Image stablilization would be a must for watching more than a few minutes.
    Last edited by SeeK; 10-29-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added URL
    Forest Gump of paintball

Contours have following specs on FOV.
    1080p: 125 degrees
    960p and 720p: 170 degrees
    Continuous photo mode: 135 degrees

Might vary between different models.

I will add to go with the smallest FOV possible for rec ball. For speedball, you can get away with a wider FOV on the small, open fields. My scenario unit plays CQB-style (MEK!!!) and videos off wide FOV gopros and countours still don't turn out very well even though we're charging and get real "up close and personal" on our objectives.

I haven't used a replay, but that's what I'm getting just for the smaller FOV.

Contour!!! Get the unit with the blue tooth, it is low profile and not big and bulky... I have 3

I'm finding alot of the contours with Bluetooth are discontinued, are they out of business? The blue tooth would be cool.

I vote for the replay xd-1080 mini, that's what I have...

I use it and love it, guys I play with love the video we get from it. Really want to get the new replay cam, but can't talk myself into spending the cash atm... Too many projects on my plate already.

If I have time later tonight Ill try to get a sample up and link it here so you can see.

Sweet,that would be cool.

They did go out of business but came back. Ones without Bluetooth r older but ok I have two, now the ones with Bluetooth cost more and r newer. I will have to read the specs to see for sure. The blue tooth is just to be able to adjust unit off your phone and to stream to make sure it's lined up. Now they all have laser to adjust the Bluetooth is just a snazzy feature... U don't need to have it but I would get it!

Video my friend put together

https://flic.kr/p/pzMGp4

Raw footage

https://flic.kr/p/pzTDyU

Good footage, but I do find it hard to watch gun cam footage.

Video is much easier to watch from a helmet cam.

I agree just recently attached the mount to my mask but haven't been out to the field since july.... damn work

Great videos,thanks man.those were taken with the r7 1080 mini?

I can post a contour video when my net is going

Raw footage was replay mini, one with music was the original replay.

Nice,thanks again for videos.

Yeah that would be great.

I ordered 2 of the replay 1080 mini's.I did look at a new Sony with some sort of wrist remote that was cool but dang it a was like 502$ with tax and a 3 year warranty .lol I got 2 mini's both with a 3 year replacement warranty tax and all for 400$.the warranty and taxes ran the cost up by 100$ .

I'm sure it was a fluke shot, bet ya can't do it twice sorta thing.. I have seen a Contour have it's lens shot out and shattered with a paintball.

Anything can break... I have taken direct shots and it is fine...worried enough put the underwater case on

The Sony cam is trash. If you can't rotate the imager, and you can't rotate the mount, then you're kind of screwed. Extremely short-sighted design on Sony's part. Might be useful for other things, but difficult for paintball.

There are multiple things that bother me about the Contour. Depending on the model, the lip around the lens is not easy to field clean (hence why you see so many blurry and smudged Contour videos). Then there are numerous instances of them not surviving a paintball hit, and Contour/Vholdr's contemptuous response towards its customers. And then there are the somewhat disingenuous users who will cite the size of the Contour, but neglect to include the extra housing that you are required to put it in if you want it to survive or expect help from customer service, if ever they decide to support paintballers in the first place.

The Replay Mini actually looks like a pretty good cam. It cuts numerous corners to achieve such a small size, but it definitely does a number of things right. The lens system looks sane, as well as the sealing on the backside. Biggest liability is the fact you can't change out batteries.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    The Sony cam is trash. If you can't rotate the imager, and you can't rotate the mount, then you're kind of screwed. Extremely short-sighted design on Sony's part. Might be useful for other things, but difficult for paintball.

There are multiple things that bother me about the Contour. Depending on the model, the lip around the lens is not easy to field clean (hence why you see so many blurry and smudged Contour videos). Then there are numerous instances of them not surviving a paintball hit, and Contour/Vholdr's contemptuous response towards its customers. And then there are the somewhat disingenuous users who will cite the size of the Contour, but neglect to include the extra housing that you are required to put it in if you want it to survive or expect help from customer service, if ever they decide to support paintballers in the first place.

The Replay Mini actually looks like a pretty good cam. It cuts numerous corners to achieve such a small size, but it definitely does a number of things right. The lens system looks sane, as well as the sealing on the backside. Biggest liability is the fact you can't change out batteries.
    I have no issues cleaning mine, u probably c so many smudge is people don't clean it. When I play big game we play 2 games so there isn't time to clean it and...and I can't take my mask off on the field. Then in the heat of the moment u might forgot it or just to lazy. Then if u want the extra goods u have to buy them but most eBay items Come with a package deal. I have 3 contours my only beef is not having a screen on it but the blue tooth feature takes care of it. Now I have heard of hoppers breaking if hit right b4 I bought my camera for ll7 it came highly recommend because if it's low profile and how rugged it is
    A waterproof case is like 25$ alone