Thread: Finding a spring with lighter pull for XM15 kits

Finding a spring with lighter pull for XM15 kits

I am bound and determined to replace the spring on my XM15 pump kit with a lighter spring. Does anyone know have one that is able to determine what it is so I can try and find a replacement? Along those lines, beside online any suggestions of where to get one? Would any hardware store typically carry these? I know the big box stores don't, but do the TruValue or others usually carry these?

* I know someone posted up awhile back explaining how to figure it out and to be VERY blunt I am lazy and just want someone to tell me the info. LOL. Heck, I am even going to PM XM to see if he can maybe get me the part number of the spring he uses to see if I can look it up that way.
    Last edited by OPBN; 10-30-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I am bound and determined to replace the spring on my XM15 pump kit with a lighter spring. Does anyone know have one that is able to determine what it is so I can try and find a replacement? Along those lines, beside online any suggestions of where to get one? Would any hardware store typically carry these? I know the big box stores don't, but do the TruValue or others usually carry these?

* I know someone posted up awhile back explaining how to figure it out and to be VERY blunt I am lazy and just want someone to tell me the info. LOL. Heck, I am even going to PM XM to see if he can maybe get me the part number of the spring he uses to see if I can look it up that way.
    what spring are you talking about here, the wave spring, the bolt spring or the pump handle spring (is there one??)?

if it's a pump handle spring, can you measure the dimensions? or what are the dimensions of the parts it goes on / in and the length of the spring?

Pump handle spring. I can measure it but doesn't help me with the spring weight/rate.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Pump handle spring. I can measure it but doesn't help me with the spring weight/rate.
    true, but it's a start.

Ok, so trying to do some more digging. Measurements on the spring are 1.25 length. OD is .685, but I think anything down to .6 should probably work. The rod it fits onto is .5" diameter. Weight of the pump handle is about 4.5oz. I'm guessing something from this page would work, but at a minimum of 10pcs @ $ 8.12/pc it will get expensive quick guessing. Anyone have any input?

Trying to link, but for some reason it's not working. Tried this page and put in some parameters. and came up with 3 pages of possibilities. Main issue seems to be spring wire diameter and load rate.

http://www.leespring.com/compression...forWhat=Search

Beuller?
    Last edited by OPBN; 10-30-2014 at 03:43 PM.

No one?

I believe the one I've been using is a green hammer spring out of a cocker. i cut it down to the point its barely touching on each end when the pump handle is all the way forward . I am using a different mount than the stock xm15 mount right now. Ill take a look at it later and see how it would work with the stock mounting block.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    I believe the one I've been using is a green hammer spring out of a cocker. i cut it down to the point its barely touching on each end when the pump handle is all the way forward . I am using a different mount than the stock xm15 mount right now. Ill take a look at it later and see how it would work with the stock mounting block.
    Is that the one I sold you? If so, I almost pulled that spring off and switched it with one on my other kit, but forgot. I actually should have a set of old cocker springs around here. I might have to look and see if it will fit.

Yes it is. i drilled and tapped a vert asa and mounted the kit to that. Then i milled the front of the rail to match the radius of the asa. Its a little cleaner looking now. compared to the stock mount anyways. Eventually ill make something else for a mount.

Pics?

And I think I have what is a stock hammer spring from an AC and it seems too small to fit on the pump arm. Will have to look at the other kit when it gets back, maybe they changed?
    Last edited by OPBN; 11-10-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Illl get something up tomorrow. Or try anyhow.

Here ya go.

Last edited by dboggs79; 11-12-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Ooooh I like that. Does the gas through still work?

Ooooh I like that. Does the gas through still work?
    Yes. I drilled and tapped the hole shallower than I really would have liked just to keep it usable.

Here you go OPBN>>

^^

Since you'll have to wait for the package, here's the rest>

Now you're just showing off..... lol.

Nah, this is easy-cheezy-japaneeze! Just showing you where we are.
    I should be focused on other stuff, just can't get motivated today. It takes me a few days to wind down after a production run. Gotta rewind for the next project.

Not sure if you found anything out from xm15, but I found a spring that lightens up the pull quiet a bite. I can find out details if you would like. I bought them from D&B supply for a $1. I also found a good fit to the rainman pump kit as well, both in the spring and the binding of the follow bolt. I bought a longer bolt and put a nylon spacer on it. I must say that it makes a world of difference. I would have to say that it's second in line now to how smooth and effortless the pump pull is (AGD, XM15, Rainman). That mod cost $8 or so and well worth it. Kind of liked tinkering around with this stuff. I sent the accessories to Grub to see if he had the same results since he has the same kits that I do.

The other thing I was wondering was can Caustic Customs powder coat the pump handle? I've inquired with him about the possibility since he has a technique with the plastic loader shells. He said he was willing to try with no guarantees, but I haven't sent it in yet.
    Last edited by barkingspider; 12-02-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barkingspider View Post
    The other thing I was wondering was can Caustic Customs powder coat the pump handle? I've inquired with him about the possibility since he has a technique with the plastic loader shells. He said he was willing to try with no guarantees, but I haven't sent it in yet.
    Precision powder you mean?

Luke ended up finding some at his local hardware store for the XM kit and picked them up for me. They work very nice. I would be interested in what you've done on the RM kit for sure. I have a RM kit but dislike the pump stroke on it so much that I was thinking of just selling it. I would love to make it more workable.

No idea about the powder coating. Personally I wouldn't mind finding someone to mill aluminum handles for the kits and have them anodized. One thing I noticed with the added weight of the pump handle is it makes the stroke nice. I have one on my MiniTac and it's really nice.