Thread: accuracy

accuracy

Ok I have 3 barrel kits and candy find a good match on the back. Now I can get decent distance but the accuracy blows big time. My barrel is clean but seems that I can't get a straight **** off my markers my mag and angel. Now my buddies lv1 shoots lasers. What can I do to improve my accuracy on my markers? It just seems like it has a curl on the end so one shooting balls is a no go....I'm getting very frustrated.... Looking at a Stella kit for a better bore. But my markers used to have great accuracy and I check the paint and quickly clean a break

Input?

Is your ball detent in too far? It matters.

Not sure I need a agd set I have a killa set in but it did same thing on my mag with the doc adapter

Cyco-Dude Guest
    what paint are you shooting? your paint will have a much greater effect on where the ball goes than any barrel will. you want paint that is clean, dry and has the smoothest seams you can get. lower-end paint tends to have very rough seams, which catch on the air and send the paint flying all over. or, some paint is just oily out of the bag...that stuff will never fly straight.

clean barrel. clean paint. smooth seams. that's what you need.

Hold your tongue to the other side of your mouth.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowmitten View Post
    Hold your tongue to the other side of your mouth.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    what?
    not holding your mouth right.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    not holding your mouth right.
    haha, i have no idea what you guys are talking about!

i've been told that my whole life anytime something doesn't go right. don't know where the expression came from, it may be a regional thing.

as for the accuracy problem i'm still using twistlock barrels and i keep changing barrels until i get one i like.

As mentioned, good quality paint will have the biggest effect. If it isn't round, it won't fly straight.

The other thing to watch for on a twist lock barrel, is the fit of the barrel in the body of the mag. If it is loose, the wobble will cause horrible inaccuracies. It happens often with aftermarket barrels. You can fix it by wrapping tape around the barrel just inside the body so that it takes up some of the slack and can't compress the barrel orings as much.

Check the fit of the paint to the barrel or back you are using. The paint should gently touch on two sides opposite each other. That should be consistent with all paint. If it is not sized consistently, then ditch that paint and get some good stuff. If you have bad paint and want the best consistency and forgiveness given that it isn't going to be perfect, use a barrel or back that is oversized. Oversized barrels and backs are much more forgiving on odd sized paint than a tight bore. I use 0.696" for everything. It allows me to shoot any paint without breaking and if an odd sized ball comes along, out the end of the barrel it goes in as straight a line as it can have given the circumstances.

Knock a few fps off the velocity. You would be surprised at the effect on accuracy, especially with bad paint. You won't lose that much distance, because the balls will fly straighter because not as much energy will be lost in the spin.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Gi 3 star, I wish they offered another class of paint. I will have to try the velocity thing and I use a freak and bore it right but I guess it's the paint lol

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    Gi 3 star, I wish they offered another class of paint. I will have to try the velocity thing and I use a freak and bore it right but I guess it's the paint lol
    Go with a bigger bore and see if there is a difference. Conventional thinking on paint-to-bore-matching is definitely skewed.

How much bigger Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    How much bigger Scott?
    Go one sizer up.

I'd go as big as you've got for the bore. Then you will know if it has any effect. Then try the size that is half way between the largest and the perfect fit. You will see how the bore size affects the spin and be able to determine whether you need to go big or really big. Like I mentioned before, I like to go really big. I've never had any accuracy problems playing competitive X-ball. And before it is mentioned that the paint is pretty good when you are at a regional X-ball event, it can be bad, which is why I overbore. It takes that part of the problem right out of the equation.

There's also the punkworks stream of thought that says take the "right fit" and go one size down so that you are consistently underbored.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    There's also the punkworks stream of thought that says take the "right fit" and go one size down so that you are consistently underbored.
    This one works if the paint is perfect and consistent. If the paint is bad or badly misshaped, underboring can cause barrel breaks. The "right fit" in this case, would be the longest side of the largest misshaped ball, so it is essentially the same as going overbore anyway, when you are using badly misshaped balls.