Thread: What is the best way to take off a power feed?

What is the best way to take off a power feed?

Can they be heated off?

hammer

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowmitten View Post
    Can they be heated off?
    yeah, you can melt the solder that holds it on. i would probably hit it with a propane torch and then smack it off with a mallet if it were me.

I've found that being less than careful with a pipe cutter on the feedneck tends to take'em right off

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    yeah, you can melt the solder that holds it on. i would probably hit it with a propane torch and then smack it off with a mallet if it were me.
    That's along the lines I was thinking... just thought someone has done it before, never a bad thing to ask before doing a project.

I used a hacksaw blade to thin the solder joint, then put a wood dowel through the feed and twisted it off.

Oxy acetylene works best. Heat the feed tube not the body, the body will warp. I always use my cutting torch on a lower setting. I heat the inside through the site hole, just heat two sides with solder. Heat it quick and twist the tube off with plyers, do it quick so it heats the body as little as possible. It only takes about 5 seconds to heat it up, don't linger.

You need a temperature range of 1200 to 1400 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the chemical composition of the joint, to melt silver brazing material. A normal propane torch can reach 3600 degrees open air temperature but can't sustain those temperatures under normal use without a proper work environment and/or the addition of oxygen to increase the burn temperature. Thats where the torch comes in as Luke mentioned. You can also purchase high temp bottles that have a higher oxygen content such as the BernzOmatic Oxy / MAP-Pro™ that has a 5700 degree open air temp. You should be able to maintain your requried 1400 degree metal temp with that flame.

The welding of the feed tubes on the body was done by silver solder. I don't know why people call it silver solder. It should be called brazing, not solder. Soldering is only for low temperature metals that melt below 840 degrees Fahrenheit. Brazing is for high temperature metals above 840 degrees.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.