Thread: "Torunament Grade" pait too brittle for LVL 10?

"Torunament Grade" pait too brittle for LVL 10?

I was out testing some of my mags today. Usually they work just fine but today they were being nothing but blenders.... Didn't change anything on my setup except the paint: I used Empire's Marballizer TG grade paint. temperature was aroung 6°C/42°F.
    Has anyone else made this experience and is it generally recommended to use "harder" non-tournament-grade paint which tends to be super-brittle with mags? Or was it just the cold temperature that madeit so darn brittle?

Thanks in advance for any input

I would blame the temps before blaming the gun. if other guns were having similar problems then its wholely the temp.

The field marbs at my local field apparently are made over seas now and where breaking up in the barrel or you could see 2 distinct pieces fly off in different directions. I thought maybe it was the new warpless loader I built bit a pod of graffiti and not a single break. Temps were about the same. I am not a fan of marbs

we had all kinds of problems with marbs at LL7 this year so nothing new.

Force feed loader could be the culprit too.

What vintage said, i shot both of the paints that day and i belueve it was evil byt that shot fine the marbs sucked

The level 10 can shoot anything because it starts off by pushing the ball rather than hitting it. Most paintball guns on the market don't have a problem with the bolt hitting the ball, even with brittle paint. The problem lies with the chop when a ball is half in the breach. That is where the level 10 is different. It also is a bit more gentle when passing the next ball in the stack. However, by the time it hits the feed neck area, the bolt is traveling with full force and hits the bottom of the next ball with that full force, although the 1/4" delay due to the level 10 does reduce the travel speed a bit. If the paint is small, the next ball will be sitting lower in the breach and you risk a cracked shell as the bolt hits it. This is the same with all paintball guns.

Brittle paint can break in the barrel if the paint to barrel match is a bit tight. This happens when the shell cracks as it is getting pushed into the barrel opening. Any resistance can cause a break if the paint is super sensitive. Another cause is breakage due to a force fed hopper. If the paint is super brittle, it can crack the shell as it gets slammed into the breach area. Then it breaks as it accelerates down the barrel.

Yoiu can reduce breakage with super brittle paint by using an overbore barrel size to reduce any restriction. Also, make sure your detents are good.
    Last edited by athomas; 11-29-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

In my experience , Marbleizer is an excellent paint , use it for when I use my Qloaded Zmag. very true and round ,accurate blah blah blah
    Now ,...... As soon as the temp drops to somewhere around 40 and below,...breaks are inevitable . The outer shell has to be hard yet brittle so it breaks open upon impacts or else people will complain about bounces . Add in the fact that it's cold and bingo , even the level 10 can't handle it weakness . I just went through this last weekend . I wound up trading in my Marbs for crappy empire pmi paint (less consistent but great in the cold )
    Wish Marblelizer would make an all weather out shell that has the same acuaracy it has now
    If I'm not mistaken , they where bought out by another company ( I think Empire ) so maybe the formula changed ?

I haven't liked Marbs for a few years. I'll only use them if I have to at a FPO field. I got 3 bad cases of them this year, 2 at the same time and another a month or so later. The cases came from the same field, OSG and were fresh and from different batches. I was having problems in my CCM, pump mag and a level 10 mag.

If I have the option of what paint I can use I have generally been going with Valken Redemption for the past 2 years. For me it has been consistant, round, and shoots good.

Thanks for all the input.
    It was super-brittle. I was merely dropping it from hip-height on the asphalt and 9 out of 10 balls were breaking upon hitting the ground.
    I'm guessing it must have been due to the relatively low temperature and also due the fact that it wasn't super-fresh (2-3 months old). I was playing overbore (.692) so that narrows it down to those two factors.

Quote Originally Posted by flampaint View Post
    .... and also due the fact that it wasn't super-fresh (2-3 months old).
    That doesn't matter. The best paint I ever shot was over 4 years old. How the paint is stored matters more. You can even make bad paint better if you store it properly for a period of time.

unfortunately it was likely bad paint temps or a combination of many factors

Paintball formulas can be very fickle and temperature/weather conditions can play a factor.

so you have a paint that is meant to be more brittle to begin with and you are using it at what is likely the lower end of the recommended temperature at which they are stored/used.

You can also factor in :

Where was the paint stored and at what temp?
    how old is the paint?
    could there have been some QC issues with that particular batch of paint?

--few links i quickly found that may help

http://www.store.justpaintball.co.uk.../?p=2&limit=20

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1719181&page=3

So I could not find a list of paintballs and recommended temperatures of use I do see quite a few people having issues with the same kind of paint in similar weather.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    That doesn't matter. The best paint I ever shot was over 4 years old. How the paint is stored matters more. You can even make bad paint better if you store it properly for a period of time.
    I'm guessing it must've been my storage conditions. Too humid (>70% humidity). would ideal storage conditions be around 21°C/70°F and very low rel. humidity then?

This was seriously by far the worst experience I've had. And by now I'm not blaming the paint at all anymore, as another guy who owns a Mag and who plays on that field regularly uses that paint: Guess I just neglected it in terms of storage conditions...

I used to be a big fan of RPS...Marbalizer was my very favorite. Then about three or four years ago, RPS paint became horrible. Everytime I shot it, it was bad...low end or high end. I have since switched to shooting Valken Graffiti and Valken Redemption almost exclusively and have been pleased.

In late October, I went to a big game at Bearclaw in TN and they were using RPS Marballizer as field paint. It had been switched to an Asian-made forumula and believe it or not, it shot great.

Quote Originally Posted by flampaint View Post
    I'm guessing it must've been my storage conditions. Too humid (>70% humidity). would ideal storage conditions be around 21°C/70°F and very low rel. humidity then?
    You should keep the paint sealed from the elements and humidity. Too high a humidity and the paint will absorb moisture and swell. Too low a humidity and the paint will release moisture and shrink, not always in a symetrical fashion. If you seal the paint in a closed container, the only thing affecting the storage is the temperature. I like to store my paint at around 15°C/59°F.

Marbs have generally been poor for about 2-3 years now.. especially the field stuff. I know most places will change to winter blend paint formulas when the weather changes, but the weather has been erratic all over.

Normally, my mags shoot most crappy paint better than most guns with the exception of the Axe. If you are getting alot of barrel breaks turn your detent out slightly and overbore your barrel. That will help.

Everybody was having problems with the Marbalizer at Living Legends - my Geo 3 shot it all weekend long with no problems.