Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash patterns

I have Splash parts that do not fit properly in the splash pattern even if it's camo splash or any another splash pattern. There was always a difference from one ano bath to another. It is a challenge to collect Splash parts.

Quote Originally Posted by swe_crazy View Post
    I have Splash parts that do not fit properly in the splash pattern even if it's camo splash or any another splash pattern. There was always a difference from one ano bath to another. It is a challenge to collect Splash parts.
    I could understand patterns not matching, but just surprised at the difference in colors. The one is clearly darker than the other and I would actually say probably a different dye. Then again, looking closer at the new kit, there is even variances in the different parts. The stock looks darker than the PF plug.

I just remember having a purple kit several years ago and everything seemed to be the same color. Very little color variance.
    Last edited by OPBN; 12-15-2014 at 11:25 AM.

I'm no expert but I can see where these brown kits could be harder to get some sort of consistency where kits with blacks and clears would be a lot easier.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    It is a challenge to collect Splash parts.
    ...and this is why swe went crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    ...and this is why swe went crazy.
    True, true!

Hope y'all don't mind if I borrow this thread for a bit. (Bunny, if we don't have one, maybe we need to start a sticky official splash pattern discussion thread or something?)

I was trying to help CP finish his blue/black/gold build with this gem I remembered I had while packing up for a move, but the pattern is off enough that we just missed the mark:

Here is CP's almost complete kit:

So, thoughts for an accurate ID? I bought the frame off ebay and it was listed as eclipse. Seeing the pattern, it looked more like a SP to me, and after reading some of the recent discussions on here, I'm wondering if this is a good comparison between "old" vs. "new" versions of the same splash, as the colors look spot on, but the pattern of the sponge/splash gives an overall slightly different look?

Not that I'm in any real rush, but I'm kind of thinking in the back of my head as to whether or not I want to hold on to the frame now as-is, or keep it as a candidate to strip/anno as part of a future build, considering how much of a. . . challenge. . . building a complete splash kit from parts really is these days.

EDIT: something else I just noticed that might help build the information database, which someone with more splash parts (swe?) might be able to answer better. I looked through the pics in the archives of the splash advertising flyers. Look at the milling on the interior of my frame. I thought I saw a difference in some of the ones in the adverts, with some more metal on the skeleton of the frame. A possible quick way to accurately ID a SP vs. Eclipse standard frame? This would suggest they were milled at two different shops?

EDIT AGAIN: on the frame milling thing, I had a moment. Check out the pic of OPBN's kit at the top of this thread. The interior milling of the camo frame is clearly different from my blue one. If these are both SP frames, what relation do they have to the pattern/production date if any? The plot thickens. . .
    Last edited by Chrome; 12-16-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Chrome you may have the same pattern just one is the golden line version and the other is the regular. I have a golden line barrel in that pattern I believe as well as the gas thru stock and the powerfeed plug and tourney lock.

I also have a rail and I believe a sight rail in black, red gold? patter that are the same but do not match very well as the splash was not carried over onto both sides of the sight rail in the same way.

i'll start taking pics of what I have tomorrow for reference if needed.

I looked back at Bunny's pic in this thread comparing standard vs. golden line. I see where you're going with regards to how aggressive the sponge is, but maybe its just me, but on my frame there just doesn't seem to be 'enough' sponge going on to look golden line, if that makes any sense?

If you can put up some pics, that would be great! Also, anybody with any variation on the interior milling of the standard frames to confirm my hypothesis there? I'm sure Bunny can use any/all clear (and big/high res) pics we can get for the archives if nothing else.

Interesting your thoughts on your black/red/gold. If you can confirm that the rail and sight rail were parts of a complete original set (not pieced together as a "set"), seeing the variation in the splash could be useful to others trying to "match" sets from individual pieces now.

This is fun, but I can really see how it could get expensive. . .

Yeah the frame looks more sponge than splash. And honestly the sight rail looks to be a different shade of blue. And I was thinking today... Could some of the variations also be contributed to fade? Seems like I have read before that anodizing can fade. Maybe some parts that appear lighter or duller have faded some? Maybe they sat in a PB store case and were exposed to light?

could be sun fade, could also be the human factor of leaving or not leaving the part in the solution the same time and so on.

lots of pics just taken, waiting for the antique to boot up, update itself and then i'll fight photobucket for about an hour and then hopefully i'll get them uploaded. I have a couple that are interesting for sure.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i think the frame is a match. compare it to the vasa. sometimes it might not look like a match just because there's so little material to see the full pattern.

first of all nothing is for sale

ok, if you look at the red, black, and silver rail and sight rail the two shots are of the same side of both pieces together, you can see the difference between them left side vs right side.

the two green sight rails show it the best in my opinion, they are the same three colors yet the black sponge and gold splash are vastly different on the two.

the frame is the only one I have and I put it in to see if it helped Chrome.

lastly is the splash mag of many colors I have been toying with as a project. what do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    the frame is the only one I have and I put it in to see if it helped Chrome.
    Do you have a shot of the frame from the side, with the grip panels off, and do you know which make/pattern the splash on it is? I was thinking about it yesterday and OPBN's frame almost looks like it could have been a cocker frame milling job at manufacture with the holes drilled for the mag safety/trigger pin instead of for the cocker. Am I wrong in thinking that around the beginning of splashes being made, there were cockers made by either of these companies too?

Mine maybe looks like a "skeletonized"/ULE version of the same. Maybe a difference between early/later production (assuming the difference is not just SP vs. Eclipse) having to do with either being a "dedicated" mag frame from the start or not?

Unfortunately, these are the best pics I have of past splash parts.

I almost wonder if that isn't my old blue set Chrome?

This is what I have learned during the time I collected splash parts.
    The Splash kits came from the UK. There was no difference between the SP and the eclipse in the beginning.
    Eclipse wanted to have their own kit and Eclipse made their own design on foregrip, body rails, sight rails, power feed plugs and tourney lock.
    There were also changes on Eclipse kits later on.

The bottom body rail is the early model.

The same with the tourney lock.

Sorry for bad English and bad pictures.

is that some sort of filter on the stainless hose OPBN

is that some sort of filter on the stainless hose OPBN
    Slide check. Wanted to used the splashed ASA, but also wanted to have an "on/off".

The bottom body rail is the early model.
    At quick glance. I thought the rail spelled "ECLIRSE", with how the splash comes across.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I almost wonder if that isn't my old blue set Chrome?
    You would have to ask Pinky where he got it from. Could be, by looking at it, as I think I agree that the sight rail was a later addition.

Sorry for bad English and bad pictures.
    Swe, your English is just fine, and your pictures I hope will be a great help to Bunny putting the guide together. The differences in the tourney locks are clear, but funny as it is considering the conversation, the milling on the rails is a little obscured by the splash patterns. That pic might need a little help later to clarify.

I was hoping you would join in the conversation in researching the differences in splash parts, as you have a large collection to sample from - it helps when looking for differences or trends.

So, the interior milling on vintage's and OPBN's trigger frames is the same, and clearly different than mine. Does anyone have a frame with the same milling as mine to confirm if this was a standard style factory new frame, or if maybe mine was one that someone sent in for anno and had some metal milled off of before the color went on? I thought I remember someone bringing up in that recent ebay thread with the grey minimag that splashes were sometimes done on parts customers sent in, and not just on parts made to be sold new as splash parts?

I would love to find a Mini Mag in this exact splash color scheme
    Always been a fan of (Green,Gold,black) combo

Quote Originally Posted by NU_METAL View Post
    I would love to find a Mini Mag in this exact splash color scheme
    Always been a fan of (Green,Gold,black) combo
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...arni-more.html

just add minimag body...
    Last edited by zondo; 12-18-2014 at 11:45 PM.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP