Thread: Ebay: Smart Parts "Old Gray Splash" Minimag

Ebay: Smart Parts "Old Gray Splash" Minimag

I've been trying to track down all of the different anodizing patterns and this one did not look familiar. It has a gray base, black sponge, and white splash. The other style SP came out with was called "Gray Splash." (Black Base, Gray Sponge, White Splash)

I looked in my SP anodizing pattern thread and noticed that I'm missing a picture of "Old Gray Splash" I'm assuming this is what it actually was.

If you are a splash mag collector let me know if this is a known pattern or not. Thanks!

The automag came to me in a trade i cleaned it up aired it up with no leaks and cycles well i have no paint to put threw it so you will need to crono it. The guy i got it from said they payed over 700 bucks for this marker used it once and it hurt too much so it was never used again and how clean it is i would i would say its the truth the bottom line asa were you screw the tank in the threads look like they were only used once the anno is a awesome 3 color splash that is almost flawless id give it a 9.9 this here is a nice classic marker that wont disappoint you i am a paintballer i know my stuff i just dont use mechanical markers so good luck it comes with everything in the pictures serial mmzero9164

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGD-rare-ann...item4ae1b0ee6e
    Last edited by Bunny; 12-11-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link

That's not a 'factory' anno job IMO. Ive never seen a matching stock MM barrel before.

Plus, no matching All American barrel, no milling on the rail, trigger, tourney lock, Eclipse used duckbilled ASAs not the dumpy ones and i am disappointed in you Bunny. You dropped the ball on the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Plus, no matching All American barrel, no milling on the rail, trigger, tourney lock, Eclipse used duckbilled ASAs not the dumpy ones and i am disappointed in you Bunny. You dropped the ball on the obvious.
    Looks like possibly an SP kit. If so, there would be no rail milling. You dropped the ball on that one. lol.

Drop the ball?!?! Here we go.....

I'm not sure how these smart parts/planet eclipse splash anodizing patterns are obvious, but I did want to question if it was original or not. I find it interesting to try and figure out which splashes are which, I mean we have Smart Parts, Planet Eclipse, John Gross, Oh Pawlak, Taso, etc.... It is pretty hard to I.D them all. This gun was pretty interesting because there were so many S.P parts attached to it. Could someone of just got it anodized after the fact? Maybe. Could it have been an anodizing pattern that not many folks bought and was phased out? Who knows....

1.) I think the gun started out as either a custom automag from SP or Planet Eclipse in the early/mid 90's.

2.) Someone may have purchased a Deluxe Splash Kit and added it to the automag.
    90's Deluxe Splash Kit:
    (7 parts) Includes Rail, PF Plug, Bottom Line, UK Tourney Cap, Grip Frame, Eclipse Sight Rail & EITHER Handle of Vertical!

$299
    *If I remember correctly I copy/pasted this directly off of the Smart Parts website. I'm assuming you could choose either the handle or an expansion chamber.

3.) I think someone may have also purchase the Low Line kit as well.
    90's / 2000's Splash Automag Low Line:
    (3 parts) Includes Expansion, vertical, dumpy BL, hoses & disconnect)

$125 in the 90's $150 in the 00's
    4.) While researching the Smart Parts/ Planet Eclipse anodizing patterns I found an article about some of the other unknown patterns. One was called "Old Gray Splash." I never could find pictures of it at all. Not many people actually used the names for it so it is really hard to find anything about them. At least P.E has some unique names for their color patterns. I'm assuming the color would be a variation of the splash designs just like the rest of them that they put out. They all have a base color, a sponge, and a splash.

5.) I have seen similar minimags with stock barrels anodized that look very similar to the SP/PE splashes before. I wish the pictures were closer up to get a better look at it.

Check out Kwik175s splash automag as well. Has a "rain barrel"

6.) I have seen a barrel with the same pattern, gray base, black sponge, white splash. (See top barrel in picture)

Maybe it is a wild goose chase, but I figured I'd post it up so the splash lovers of AO could take a stab at it to really see what is going on with it. I'm super fascinated with splash stuff at the moment, but I don't think I could handle trying to gather one piece at a time

sometimes AO is more entertaining than pawn stars.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    smart parts rails were not milled, eclipse rails were. also, there is a tourney lock there. i'm curious about the asa and barrel...i've never seen a smart parts / eclipse kit use those parts before. i don't mind the lack of a double trigger...a hate a cut rail (unless it's anodized after the fact), but it's too bad the matching vasa is not present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm not sure how these smart parts/planet eclipse splash anodizing patterns are obvious, but I did want to question if it was original or not. I find it interesting to try and figure out which splashes are which, I mean we have Smart Parts, Planet Eclipse, John Gross, Oh Pawlak, Taso, etc.... It is pretty hard to I.D them all.
    well, at least the gross / fpc stuff is fairly easy to identify...they had very distinct markings that stood out from the sp / eclipse stuff.

Guess i am going to have to dig up my old PGI mags and break out the pics of the guns with the names. I hate when people tell me i am wrong, when i know i am right

I believe Old Grey Splash is gray splash. There was the option for customers to send in their Automag to get their own splash with various colors. I'm pretty sure the automag in the pic is one of those.

These two patterns and colorations are the only ones I've seen with gray.

I also agree with swe on this one there was an option for proshops to mail in purchased parts to have the anno done. i was told the same by the original owner of this mag.

Very cool. What would you actual classify this automag as? Original SP, Custom, Etc... The reason why I ask is because it seems like from 1993 to 2000 SP/PE did these anodizing patterns. At first glance with all of the parts makes me think it is original and pretty early in the 90's. We have so many examples of the late 90's splash designs, but you hardly see any of the early 90's splash.

Btw, Nobody, I don't believe you. Please post ALL of your automag related magazine scans to AO ASAP.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i could have sworn someone did that; posted a thread with a bunch of smart parts anodized stuff. i couldn't find it when i looked though. pretty sure it's different than the threads you posted bunny.

maybe i saw it on mcb?

I agree that this gun was probably an aftermarket ano. Edit: it could also have been a custom order from Eclipse, they made guns to order when requested (and paid for, out the nose that is).

5.) I have seen similar minimags with stock barrels anodized that look very similar to the SP/PE splashes before. I wish the pictures were closer up to get a better look at it.
    That barrel appears to be aftermarket ano (not "factory" Eclipse/SP), notice the different sponge pattern than the typical Eclipse/SP anos. I don't think all the parts were purchased as a kit either, the trigger frame is from a different generation splash with some silver around the black sponge.

6.) I have seen a barrel with the same pattern, gray base, black sponge, white splash. (See top barrel in picture)
    That's the TASO silver splash pattern on that TASO Eliminator barrel.