Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I like them short.

I like them short.

The two best barrels I own, are my freak back with a WWA 2” tip and my deadly winds 8”. My third is my Apex, but it way to long. I have the freak Apex tip and it keeps getting in my way. So… Has anyone ever cut down an All American tip before? The back half of the freak will fit in the Apex shroud. But is there enough meat left after cutting the threads off an All American tip and re thread it? It would be AWESOME to have a shorty Apex.

I've seen this and its an option, but I have a red freak back that looks sweet on the Mag I use my Apex on.

Quote Originally Posted by cudamelland View Post
    I've seen this and its an option, but I have a red freak back that looks sweet on the Mag I use my Apex on.
    I'm not sure how much thicker a deadly wind barrel is than yours, if it's close, can't it work on a regular one as well?

Now i feel like an idiot, I never thought to use it on anything other then a deadly winds barrel.

Now i feel like an idiot, I never thought to use it on anything other then a deadly winds barrel.
    I'm still curious, let me know how you make out!

there's a shorter GoG freak apex tip you can buy.

So the Deadly winds adapter says it can fit any barrel that has an OD (outer diameter) .84 +/- 0.01 in size. I did find this tho http://www.amazon.com/Apex-2G-Paintb...s=apex+adapter This will fit on any barrel that is .875. It uses 3 set screws to attach tho. The barrel i was hoping to use is of course in between the two at .86. I'm going to try this J&J one out and if it works ill post pics. My buddy has the deadly winds adapter for his null so Ill play with it next time we go out, but that's not until march.

Keep us up to date! Might open up new options

The j&j adapter works well and easily fits on the freak. My only problem is that it is so long that cutting down the barrel I planned on using and installing the adapter. The complete barrel is only 1 inch shorter. So what’s the point? I met up with my buddy who had the deadly winds adapter and had the same problem. After brain storming I think I can make something myself, really it’s just two humps on a barrel.

I’ll update if I get something to work.

Doesn't get much shorter than this...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  91.2 KB
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 02-08-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost flanker View Post
    Doesn't get much shorter than this...
Views: 210
Size:  91.2 KB
    Gorgeous...

would you mind taking pics disassembled? What barrel did you use?

I have a WWA freak back and tip and while it is a hoot to run a tiny gun, I can't make distance shots to save my life. I don't mind getting up close but taking pot shots at people who don't know I'm there is too fun.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

Dood ya gotta love tha Shorty Freak barrels…i kno i do…haha!!!!

Success, What do you guys think?

All I did was cut the freak front down to the size I liked and added Nitrile o rings to recreate the gaps needed to fit the Apex. A little tape was added to help space out a sets of o rings. The apex has enough friction to stay in place but can still be moved to side to side, (maybe not as easy as the actual adapter.)

The drop kick makes it super sweet...

Another option that I use is the 4" stiffi c series w/apex adapter. With the apex2 on it it ends up being pretty short. I've also thrown a TechT/Python sizing kit, which doesn't make it much longer.

The problem is finding the barrels, they show up every now and then.

I'll see if I can take a picture for you.

Here are a few options to think about.

4" stiffi c-series w/ apex adapter and TechT sizing collars

4" stiffi c-series w/ apex adapter

Freak back w/ SSC freak-c series tip adapter

This last one is pretty unique, but thats what I like. It's a armson barrel that I had milled down to work with c-series threaded tips.

The pictures don't do a very good job with showing accurate length. I can see after the fact that my picture taking skills are lacking since they look longer in the pictures than they really are by an inch. Sorry, just thought I'd share a few more ideas.

Interesting.

Hows the a)performace, and b)sound signature, with the rifled barrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2BAD4U View Post
    The drop kick makes it super sweet...
    I don't leave home without one.

Freak back w/ SSC freak-c series tip adapter

This was my goal, I didn't want to not use my red freak back It looks so sweet. I wish i would have known about SSC freak-c series tip adapter before i hacked up a barrel, but too late now. Tho this cost me nothing and it seems to work great. I do wonder how long it will last tho.
    Here are some more pics

Thanks, G Squat.

And to blamtro, assuming you were talking to me...here you go.
Views: 231
Size:  79.3 KB
    It's a sawed off Deadly Wind Fibur barrel with an Apex adapter.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 02-13-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Cool, thanks for the pic!

I don't leave home without one.
    Damn!!!

Forget the barrels those are some nice mags!

Quote Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
    I have a WWA freak back and tip and while it is a hoot to run a tiny gun, I can't make distance shots to save my life. I don't mind getting up close but taking pot shots at people who don't know I'm there is too fun.
    I thought the myth of longer paintball barrels = longer range/accuracy was dead and buried.

Longer to a point. Most have found 12-14" to be the sweet spot of accuracy and efficiency. When I run my freak barrel with stubby front I can't do distance shots for the life of me, likely would have just as good odds using a standard barrel of the same length.

Efficiency, yes, to a small extent. Accuracy, no.

It has actually been proven that, given there are no serious honing issues present, paintball barrels don't really impact a gun's accuracy. Length, bore size, smoothbore vs. rifled, one piece vs. two piece, stock barrels, etc, they all have about the same accuracy with the gun locked in a vice. I can get long shots with my minimag barrel just as easily as my 12" ultralite or 16" boomstick.

With that said, some people do rely on a longer barrel to help them point and aim, so the difference may lie there.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 03-18-2015 at 04:02 PM.