Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Scan: PGI Feb 2001: Warpfeed

Post Magazine Scan: PGI Feb 2001: Warpfeed

AO: Nobody was kind enough to send me a few magazines to scan to upload into the AO archive. After reading a few magazines I really wish we could go back to 2001-2002

*Some of the pictures look kind of weird, but thats what was printed in the magazine.

Time flies...
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

That time was special, as some of the things now is so alien than 13 years ago. Tourney teams using revies and guns were milled. So many choices of guns and equipment. So long ago...

I think the period in the early 2000s before SP's patent shenanigans was the golden age of the sport. So much innovation, out of the box thinking, and before big conglomerates sucked up so many of the small companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I think the period in the early 2000s before SP's patent shenanigans was the golden age of the sport. So much innovation, out of the box thinking, and before big conglomerates sucked up so many of the small companies.
    Damn right

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    That time was special, as some of the things now is so alien than 13 years ago. Tourney teams using revies and guns were milled. So many choices of guns and equipment. So long ago...
    guns arn't milled today?

does anyone know if ravi's place is still hosted somewhere? always fun to read his old reviews. EDIT: oh nice, MCB still hosts it: http://mcarterbrown.com/ravi/
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Ravi pops into the Oldschool paintball guns facebook group from time to time, too.

In the late 90's and early 2000's, I used to love going on PBReview to see what new stuff was coming out and what new innovations there were. By about 2k4, every "new" marker looked exactly like something already out there and every "innovation" was just a supposed improvement on existing tech. I stopped looking for anything really new in the sport.

Question

Never could get into, or understand why, someone would use a warp feed.

Such a giant, terribly unbalanced, way to feed a gun.

To each his own I guess.

one of my favorite things about the warp feed is that everyone else can see the balls being fed with the lighter color shells and the new ptp warp hose can also be seen thru in bright light.

Tunaball is a bunch of Automag enthusiasts getting together at Topgun Paintball in Cream Ridge NJ.

Last one Mr Kaye came.

Lots of fun.

Alan, with everything, there is a mix of advantage & disadvantage. Warps, while i have barely used one, gives the player the sight over the top, lack of a blimp on top(for possible hopper hits) & whatever else a warp player likes. They may be heavier in shear mass, but not unblanaced.

warp feeds sorta made sense back then. guns used to be soooooo tall. i remember i had a bushmaster and used a 10 inch barrel. with the hopper and drop forward, my gun was taller than longer

the warp feed was a generation 1 design, it certainly had its flaws, and was going against gen 3 or 4 hoppers (gravity, agitated, first gen force feed ...).

would have been great to see what the warp feed would have turned into had it had a gen 3 or 4.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-09-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    the warp feed was a generation 1 design, it certainly had its flaws, and was going against gen 3 or 4 hoppers (gravity, agitated, first gen force feed ...).

would have been great to see what the warp feed would have turned into had it had a gen 3 or 4.
    Here you go, look at what people are doing with Prophecies and Halos and other forcefeed hoppers, modding them to feed on the side, without the need or use of a secondary hopper to feed the first.

There are some in this very forum. No need for a google search. See what happens when you leave the sanctity of your cave and join the real world?

I like the direction that the Empire defender went, but it looks like it actually made the gun longer.

Another plus to the warp is that you don't have to switch hands to snap shoot.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Wink

1) hopper hits

2) hopper blocking vision

Two of the main points proponents of side hoppers and warp feeds name as reasons for their version.

Innovation is the best point no doubt, they are interesting to see on the field.

Whatever works best for you personally, the most fun, is a good thing.

I just never had a problem looking thru the hopper ignoring it, and I find the percentage of hopper hits I've gotten is minuscule.

But whatever works go for it.

Personally my favorite aspect is not needing to change hands to shoot off my left side. Rotation ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Here you go, look at what people are doing with Prophecies and Halos and other forcefeed hoppers, modding them to feed on the side, without the need or use of a secondary hopper to feed the first.

There are some in this very forum. No need for a google search. See what happens when you leave the sanctity of your cave and join the real world?
    i am well aware of people doing this. its a perfect example of exactly what im talking about, development along these lines. i think the defender marks to return of manufactures to this idea, and while i have issues with the defender, and using halos and prophs for this purpose, its certainly exciting to see. the box mag on the DAM is another such example. they are basically gen2 of this idea, and note they are significantly better operating than the warp feed ...

are you just going to follow me around and be a jerk about everything, all the time?
    Last edited by Dayspring; 01-12-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Language edit.

Y'all need a hobby!

The two of you knock it off or you both get to sit in the corner for a couple days.

I'm not going to let this get out of hand again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    The two of you knock it off or you both get to sit in the corner for a couple days.

I'm not going to let this get out of hand again.
    sorry, i can't do anything about folks who hate me posting dumb things in response to my posts.

wish i could, really do wish i could. but i can only control my own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    sorry, i can't do anything about folks who hate me posting dumb things in response to my posts.

wish i could, really do wish i could. but i can only control my own actions.

It takes 2 to make an argument - sometimes the best thing to do is just walk away.

I think he was daring you to ban him Nick.

*edit to stay on topic:

Warp feeds are awesome. To quote my good pal Beemer;

"I can't play with a blimp on the top"

TRUTH

MOTY3
    Cant we talk about something with far less controversy...like say the Dallas / Green Bay game

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner333 View Post
    Cant we talk about something with far less controversy...like say the Dallas / Green Bay game
    I was thinking more of the chicken/egg debate.

MOTY3
    I'm gunna rock my Warp on the Classic RT at Tunaball just for Beemer...

Cockerpunk hit it right on the head. It was a first gen design up against more refined products. We did mock up a photoshop 2nd gen and I showed a pic on AO. The loader cupped around the front of the tank and reg so it was centered and low. Made the whole tank assembly bullet like. I can't find the pic in my archive but maybe someone has it somewhere.

AGD

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Cockerpunk hit it right on the head. It was a first gen design up against more refined products. We did mock up a photoshop 2nd gen and I showed a pic on AO. The loader cupped around the front of the tank and reg so it was centered and low. Made the whole tank assembly bullet like. I can't find the pic in my archive but maybe someone has it somewhere.

AGD
    Tom, are you going to make it to Tunaball this year ?

Probably not, you pick the worst time of the year to have it.

AGD