Thread: Sk8ermog Project #6 - MicroEmag (DONE)

Cool Sk8ermog Project #6 - MicroEmag (DONE)

So I've been working on this project for awhile now. I have all the parts to build a MicroEmag but it still needs a good coat of paint. I've tried working with about 2-3 anodizers to see if they can anno my Micromag body, but sadly no-one could help me. So now I'm looking to get the whole thing powdercoated white and black.

I had Luke ULE the lowers and mill the Micromag body. He also cut out some finger groove in his Emag grips to match the PTP finger grooves. I'm really excited to see how this PTP gem will turn out.

Check it out (Sorry for bad cell phone pics):

Here is what I'm hoping to do with it:

Before:

Photoshop After Idea:

UPDATE 3/10/16

Well after many messages and a phone call, I was able to talk Caustic Customs into finally anodizing my gun. I changed up the look and went with my favorite colors, black/blue. Here is what I sent him:

He did an amazing job. We had to scrap a few ideas to save on the overall budget but there is nothing I regret.

Now she is in good hands with Dr. Tuna who is piecing her back together. Very excited that this project might almost be done! I'll post pictures when it's done.

If you like this project then check out my other ones.

Sk8ermog Projects:

Project #1: HH Mag
    Project #2: Gas Through Grip Frame (DONE)
    Project #3: Angel Mag (DONE)
    Project #4: Square Mag (DONE)
    Project #5: Hawaiian Mag (DONE)
    Project #6: MicroEmag
    Project #7: Mag Rifle (DONE)
    Project #8: NanoMag
    Project #9: Double Barrel Mag
    Project #10: Coming Soon...
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 06-20-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Cool

Finally got this project done and back from Tuna. Works great and I'm excited to take it to the field. Just scared to scratch it.

Last edited by Sk8ermog; 06-20-2016 at 06:29 PM.

You better go into the hiding. The "Don't cut that" Police are bound to show up on your doorstep with a group of villagers in tow screaming "Burn the witch!!!"

do the bottom of the battery pack black too. I really like the stormtrooper theme.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    do the bottom of the battery pack black too. I really like the stormtrooper theme.
    Do a section kind of like a rubberized grip section of the battery pack black. See if they powder coater can make it rough like stippling.

Name:  158833626_BqjNdNCn.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  88.1 KB

Yes my paint skills suck
    Last edited by OPBN; 01-16-2015 at 08:55 AM.

why couldn't they anno the body?

Quote Originally Posted by blamtro View Post
    Most likely because the Micromag bodies have a steel insert in them that is difficult, if not impossible to be removed. The body cannot be properly plugged up to protect the steel from essentially dissolving during the stripping process. At least that is what I have gathered form various posts.

Love the Stormtrooper look! Very cool, I'd love to see how it turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by blamtro View Post
    Exactly what OPBN said. There are (or should be) steel rings in all automag bodies. PTP punched the steel ring into the bodies which essentially made them almost impossible to remove. The anodizing process only works on aluminum so any steel would dissolved in one of the stripping processes. No anodizer I talked to was willing to risk messing up their chemical baths.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Most likely because the Micromag bodies have a steel insert in them that is difficult, if not impossible to be removed. The body cannot be properly plugged up to protect the steel from essentially dissolving during the stripping process. At least that is what I have gathered form various posts.
    Exactly. It's one of the sadder aspects of owning a Micromag. I love your grip idea for the battery pack. I'll have to talk to the powdercoater I'm working with to see if they can do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SummaryJudgement View Post
    Love the Stormtrooper look! Very cool, I'd love to see how it turns out!
    Thanks. I figured that since I moved out to Colorado I need a gun I could play with in the snow.

Well I don't really want to be that guy who says it, but have you considered plasti dip and possibly get a clear coat on it after? The plus side is you're not doing any fancy anno types and just basic color so it would be easy to do, and the clear coat would protect it. Plus if you don't like it, it'll peel off. I mean it'd probably cost 20 or so dollars to do. Like I said, don't mean to be that guy, but it's a cheap solution since to anodizer will take it

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins1290 View Post
    Well I don't really want to be that guy who says it, but have you considered plasti dip and possibly get a clear coat on it after? The plus side is you're not doing any fancy anno types and just basic color so it would be easy to do, and the clear coat would protect it. Plus if you don't like it, it'll peel off. I mean it'd probably cost 20 or so dollars to do. Like I said, don't mean to be that guy, but it's a cheap solution since to anodizer will take it
    if you do this. and you opt to do the spray on method of plastidip, put at least 7 coats on your you will have a hell of a time peeling it off if you don't want it on.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    if you do this. and you opt to do the spray on method of plastidip, put at least 7 coats on your you will have a hell of a time peeling it off if you don't want it on.
    true, just trying to throw ideas out there. I dont think youd need 7 coats if you would add clear coats?

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins1290 View Post
    true, just trying to throw ideas out there. I dont think youd need 7 coats if you would add clear coats?
    Then you'd lose half the benefit of plasti-dip; the rubbery feeling!

As a side note, I tried to plasti-dip the grip and pump handle on an ancient trracer (just to get the rattlecanning out of my system); with five coats, it was easy to peel off both aluminum and dippled plastic. However, my big problem with it was that it didn't hold up to my ultra-manly grip strength (or so it seemed) worth a damn. The stuff was peeling off halfway through my first game with it.

I think the spray on stuff is fine for surfaces that don't see a lot of gripping and friction. Maybe the actual dipping stuff is different?

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Then you'd lose half the benefit of plasti-dip. The rubbery feeling.

I think the spray on stuff is fine for surfaces that don't see a lot of gripping and friction.
    Context is everything. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Then you'd lose half the benefit of plasti-dip; the rubbery feeling!

As a side note, I tried to plasti-dip the grip and pump handle on an ancient trracer (just to get the rattlecanning out of my system); with five coats, it was easy to peel off both aluminum and dippled plastic. However, my big problem with it was that it didn't hold up to my ultra-manly grip strength (or so it seemed) worth a damn. The stuff was peeling off halfway through my first game with it.

I think the spray on stuff is fine for surfaces that don't see a lot of gripping and friction. Maybe the actual dipping stuff is different?
    when doing the spray you need to lay the primer coat down first

I'm all about doing things right the first time so powdercoating seems the best way to go. I am going to look into rubber grips that might be able to slide over the battery pack to give it a similar look to what OPBN posted cause I really like that idea.

Still waiting to hear back from the powdercoater I contacted. Excited to get this project done before the snow totally melts.

I have a microemag project going too. may pick your brain!
    Who is powder coating?
    Xmag, IT Emag
    And a few other Emags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    Still waiting to hear back from the powdercoater I contacted. Excited to get this project done before the snow totally melts.
    Who you talking to for the powder?

This guy looks like he knows what he is doing with paintball guns from the thread and pics posted.

https://automags.org/forums/showthrea...er-Refinishing

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFiend View Post
    I have a microemag project going too. may pick your brain!
    Who is powder coating?
    Looking at a few powdercoaters. Feel free to PM me any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Who you talking to for the powder?

This guy looks like he knows what he is doing with paintball guns from the thread and pics posted.

https://automags.org/forums/showthrea...er-Refinishing
    Looking at a few guys, but yeah Precision Powder is one of them. Waiting to get a quote back from him.

Don't forget KPCS for powder coating. Ken does excellent work.

Have you thought about Cerakote?
    http://rockymountainweaponry.com/duracoat/ (I don't know these guys I just know your in Colorado.)

Snow camo would be cool for what you're looking to do> snow camo cerakote search
    These are some cool ideas

Bringing this project back from the grave because I have some awesome updates. Caustic agreed to anodize the gun! Just got it back a week ago and it is already off to Tuna for a rebuild. New pictures are in the first post. Very excited to get this one done.

I love those new colors Just enough blue to set it off

Finally got this project done. Here is a video of it.

that's true beauty