Thread: Gripframe 12ie? Build in progress

Gripframe 12ie? Build in progress

Anyone ever put a 12gram changer in a grip frame on a mag? I'm gonna attempt to do so this week at work. Just curious if its been attempted before. I got a benchmark frame with a cut trigger guard, that'll never get used for anything else, so why not.

I managed to get the grip frame machined, mostly. I'll be adding some holes for mounting the adapter at some point. Here's were its at now. I'll be making the 12gram adapter myself instead of trying to modify something. The adapter won't be nearly as long obviously.

I got an an adapter made, its gonna need some changes made though. And I still gotta make a cap. Its moving in the right direction though.
    Last edited by dboggs79; 01-25-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Ooooh wow I like the idea can't wait to see it

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    Anyone ever put a 12gram changer in a grip frame on a mag? I'm gonna attempt to do so this week at work. Just curious if its been attempted before. I got a benchmark frame with a cut trigger guard, that'll never get used for anything else, so why not.

one guy did…here is a link to his thread:
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ag-pistol.html

Definitely cool. Don't care for the routing of the airline, but very cool. Mine should be a more simple setup.

Started making chips. Pic added.

I like it. I have a benchy in similar condition that I might not mind having this done to if you get this going and decide to take on work.

Just curious as an observer, is there a reason you went vertical rather than following the angle of the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by robertreed711 View Post
    Just curious as an observer, is there a reason you went vertical rather than following the angle of the frame?
    I was initially gonna do it that way. This was just easier. Depending on how things work out with this one, I may do another one or five.

I was initially gonna do it that way. This was just easier. Depending on how things work out with this one, I may do another one or five.
    Beating a dead horse, but it does seem like you'd get a lot less protrusion if you went with the angle of the grip axis rather than perpendicular to the lay of the body/barrel.

You say you're going to build you own 12 gr adapter. I'd like to see/learn more about how you plan on doing this, and what kind of parts/machining techniques it requires. Seems like a very interesting project, so keep the updates coming.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Beating a dead horse, but it does seem like you'd get a lot less protrusion if you went with the angle of the grip axis rather than perpendicular to the lay of the body/barrel.

You say you're going to build you own 12 gr adapter. I'd like to see/learn more about how you plan on doing this, and what kind of parts/machining techniques it requires. Seems like a very interesting project, so keep the updates coming.
    You're correct. The problem is, with the size of the changer that is necessary, if you angle it you will end up removing the hole for the lower grip screw. Or i will have to remove more material than I wanted to on the front or back strap of the frame. And, since I'm doing this all at work in between other setups, I need to keep it as quick and simple as possible. If they would just let me make things I wanted. Some silly stuff about being the worldwide leader in thermal and vapor management systems. Blah blah blah. What a bore. But it keeps the bills paid.

The bucket and dropout changers are really simple. I started making an adapter to mount a dropout horizontally on the front of a mag. The dropout and adapter would then serve as a pump guide for a pump kit. I made a prototype, that really wasn't long enough to function the way I wanted. Never went back to that project, yet. If youve never seen a KPCS Scout, you should go over to MCB and check them out. Thats what i was going for. Got sidetracked there. Anyways the adapter won't be all that much different than any other. I'm just not exactly sure yet how much I'll have sticking out the bottom of the grip. No drawings for this, just blurry visions in my head.
    Last edited by dboggs79; 01-20-2015 at 09:36 AM.

i'm sure you're already thought through this, but just remember that the air fittings that sit on top of your changer will need to be pretty short to not interfere with the sear arm. I think that's probably why the micromag above went with the weird tubing out the back of the frame where it was.

Wonder if this were done on an RT classic if it would line up to just bring the tubing out of the panels and straight into the air fitting on the rail?

If youve never seen a KPCS Scout
    Never had, so I went and looked. Turns out a guy I've played with quite a few times is selling one over there. Looks pretty sweet.

Updated

Updated
    Looking good. Did you manage to sort out a system to get the air out of the grip yet?

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Looking good. Did you manage to sort out a system to get the air out of the grip yet?
    No. It hasn't gone any farther due to machine availability. Gonna be busy the next week or two, hopefully get back on track afterwards.