Thread: Have you ever....

Have you ever....

Taken a look at a gun you own but never really use, maybe a project, maybe not, and say to yourself "Man, I should sell this thing. I never use it and I'm sure there's someone else out there who would love playing with it, and it really deserves to be out on the field. Ok, Let's do this. I'm going to get it all set up and put it up for sale."

Then you spend an hour or two airing it up and getting it shooting well for the next guy. You oil it, replace O-rings as needed, maybe switch out an ASA or a grip frame around from your secret stash of (mostly) automag parts that you hide from your girlfriend so she won't know the true depth of your psychotic troubles. Anyways, you juuuuuust get it shooting 280 with the level X tuned to stop on a rolled dollar bill, and something goes off in the back of your head that says "Wow, this thing feels and shoots awesome, maybe I should just keep it in case my brother's friend's little cousin comes out with us sometime..."

Anyways, does that ever happen to anyone else? Cause that just happened to me this afternoon

Still not sure whether I want to sell or keep, or whatever. Ah, guess that's just the nature of the struggle.

Some people can afford to be collectors.

Some people can afford it but feel its a waste and not practical.

Some just want a decent gun and a backup and they are happy.

Which are you ?

Me, more than two or three is a waste.

That's probably going to happen to me with my cl carter mag. It's name is Crag, and I'm going to get some chrome re-done, and a few pieces anodized, by which time, I'll have probably 250 into it. I could probably get that out of it at that point, maybe not, but I'm as yet undecided if I even want to sell it. There's a few others in my arsenal like that (I haven't used the majority of what's on my wall because they're simply not done yet), but that's the one I'm working on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

Which are you ?

# 2 and #3 are me

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

Which are you ?

Some good food for thought here, thanks. I don't think I've reached my paintball equilibrium yet, with no guns coming in and no guns going out.

For the past few years I've definitely been in the "accumulation phase" as I've gotten back into the sport after college. It was nice buying all the guns I really wanted but couldn't afford back in the early to mid 2000s and trying them out. I learned what I liked and didn't like and have made changes to the guns I use accordingly.

At this point, I've switched enough mag parts around to know what I want out of a mag. I like rt style valve systems on rt length rails. The gun in question, while super nice, has neither of these. I own two mags that I definitely don't want to sell. I use these for recball days and if I bring a friend, they get to use the other one.

I also have a few pumps for pump play, an autococker, and an electronic gun. And a couple piranhas that are mostly for nostalgia. After that, there's a truckload of mag and autococker parts haha. Hey, variety is the spice of life, I guess.

I do like having projects around and I like to tinker, but to me once a project is finished, then unless it gets used it's just kind of taking up space. I think in that way I'm starting to fall into your #2 grouping. I do like a little variety and play a few different formats, so definitely not #3.

In conclusion and to answer your question, I'm probably somewhere between #1 and #2 right now, but hopefully trending more towards #2? Maybe?

I have more than a few markers, I try to use at least a couple now each time I go out but I play with everything I own, even the few somepeople would call 'wall hangers'

Yes... but I usually rationalize it by saying I will arm my kids with them as they get to be of a playing age and want to be involved. Until then, I must resist! I don't have time for more projects...
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

I try to keep all my mags unique in a major functional way to overcome this problem:

1. pneumag
    2. pump
    3. RT effect
    4. RT effect (back-up- in case of malfunction)
    5. classic ss body with feedneck mod (line of sight down body)
    6. classic ss body with feedneck mod - hyperframe - docs adaptor

just to reflect, my hottt sale is coming

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    just to reflect, my hottt sale is coming
    Let me do my taxes first

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    Let me do my taxes first
    im getting ready to leave. so I have time,
    stuff that Is new never use mostly likely will not be droped it price. .....
    but there is a thread here somewhere to be had....

Some types of guns are collectors, to me. They hold more value than what i could get on the open market. So for me to liquidate to a reasonable quanity that i may use all of them is unwarranted. My mag collection is small. I have my classic, Emag, Xvalve(could consider it RTPro at this point) and working on building a Pumpmag. For my mags, that's all i want. Unless i get the bug for an X or a SFL or Karta, Chord or Dallara, its highly doubtful that i would have the funds to get it when they would be available.

So for most others, when they are game ready, i will use them when i feel the need to include them in the rotation. I do have specific guns for specific types of play, like woods/walkon electro, heavy walkon, light tourney or what i just feel like. Its more to me of different flavors for different days. You can't eat the same things each day; you need variety, you need something that puts a smile on my face. So if todays is my Eclipse Angel but then to my Ego6 but then to my FS8. So be it.

Plus it helps colecting guns that only hold value to myself. Solves the question of moving guns to clear out the collection.

There is a reason I have so many guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

My wallet tells me I can't be a collector but my heart says I can. haha There are a few guns in my collection that just aren't worth the trouble to sell so I just keep them on my wall as reminders from my younger years or as loaners.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

happens with me and cars all the time, sometimes with paintball guns, though my hording and collecting has waned of late.

only ever want to sell them when they are broken, and once you fix em, which you have to in order to not get ripped off when selling them, you fall in love again.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

I find having them though I have not played in 10 years makes me want to play again. I miss the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMag527 View Post
    I find having them though I have not played in 10 years makes me want to play again. I miss the fun!
    Get out & play then !!